Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Are you spritzing/spraying them with water? That might help, especially at night.
Thank God for air conditioning!...as long as the power plants can run...and even Browns Ferry is having trouble keeping up with demand...
Yes I do - these finicky critters will mold in 100F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM

182 posts, read 898,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
It's incredible to me to read this, being in California where we get maybe 12 inches of rain a year on average, yet city after city after city after city of people as far as you can imagine, all water their lawns to keep a crisp green all year long, even in 110 degree dry heat. Not to mention that some cities will fine you if your lawn starts to turn brown. We basically get all our water from other states. I hate it.
That wasn't always the case. Were you living in socal during that horrible drought back in the late 80's? People were painting their lawns green and that phrase "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" was coined in an attempt to reduce uhhh, flushing.

I never thought I would be in a drought situation after moving to the south!

I like the idea of the buckets to collect the shower water. I only need a few buckets to water the plants in my courtyard.

I just bought a house a few months ago and I would love to do some landscaping but I guess it will have to wait.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:05 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,763,444 times
Oh yes, I remember that back then. I was a kid though, and the phrase that was chanted by the children was "if it's pee let it be, if it's brown flush it down." Now, thank God, we just have low-flow toilets instead.. quick flush for a light-water saving flush and hold it down for something more, uh, substantial. And that's probably more information anyone ever wanted to know about the flushing habits of Californians.

I still seem to remember us all watering our lawns though, but then, I grew up in Orange County. It was at that point where it became vogue to water at night is all.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,373,633 times
Plant native species (HSV zone examples: yucca, buddleia - butterfly bush, callicarpa - beautyberry; these plants are only now starting to show stress after more than a week of record highs and no water - I don't spoil em); mulch - mulch - mulch; use drought tolerant plants.

TIP: Don't water lawns at night (can encourage disease) - best time early morning. Weedkillers don't work when it's hot anyway - so lay off the Weed-b-Gone (causes stress). Let your lawn grow a little higher than normal.

Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES) has a nice guide to 'Managing Drought Stressed Lawns'. Look around while you're there - it's a great resource for Alabama gardeners.

Home Garden News: Managing Drought Stressed Lawns

Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM

25 posts, read 146,120 times
gardening and the yard, in these conditions is all NEW to me. I have taken very good care of the grass, the planted in ground plants and the potted flowers. very good care. they are watered regularly.
so? should they be looking as BAD as they do? I mean bad to dying. All that hard work and money and they look tragic. Despite sprinkers and hand watering-- I could not save most of the plants. Should this be expected???
(the grass is just ok. the in-ground plants and potted are history for the most part)

Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
what type of plants? Annuals or perinanuals (sp)? Some plants like annuals die are only good for one season.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
That wasn't always the case. Were you living in socal during that horrible drought back in the late 80's? People were painting their lawns green and that phrase "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" was coined in an attempt to reduce uhhh, flushing.

I never thought I would be in a drought situation after moving to the south!

I like the idea of the buckets to collect the shower water. I only need a few buckets to water the plants in my courtyard.

I just bought a house a few months ago and I would love to do some landscaping but I guess it will have to wait.
Let me kniow when you are ready. I have tall and short Mexican Petunias and lots of Canna Lillies up for adoption.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 AM

25 posts, read 146,120 times
Keeper--
some of them are annuals. they all looked so good until about 10 days ago. i sort of thought it was too early for them to die. Except the hydrangeas, they were beautiful and full, now they are loosing all there leaves and flowers. I thought it was the drought and the extreme heat we are having. our heat index has been 110 degrees for well over 2 weeks, now. Guess it could have just been there time to go??? If it is a sign that fall is coming then I am glad. Very glad.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
maybe you should ask someone in the Garden forum.. I have seen some hydrangeas around and they seem to be doing OK at least from what I can see from the road.
I am trying to keep my hybiscus alive so I know what you mean. They need watering everyday due to the extreme heat.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohem21 View Post
Keeper--
some of them are annuals. they all looked so good until about 10 days ago. i sort of thought it was too early for them to die. Except the hydrangeas, they were beautiful and full, now they are loosing all there leaves and flowers. I thought it was the drought and the extreme heat we are having. our heat index has been 110 degrees for well over 2 weeks, now. Guess it could have just been there time to go??? If it is a sign that fall is coming then I am glad. Very glad.
Your hydrangeas will come back. Water them well. Their name translates to water drinker:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama