Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 26,521 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to move from a Dallas suburb to a smaller town in another state. Both have lived in Texas our entire lives and want a change of scenery. We have children very active in sports. We would like a town that has a great high school football program. I know I am very interested in VA,NC,SC areas, as well as Alabama and Georgia. I would love a town that is small, rich in history, and very family friendly- festivals, celebrations, etc. I also want the small hometown feel- tree lined streets, craftsman style homes with large front porches. I am bored with the flat lands of Texas, so I would love some scenery- woods, lakes, waterfalls. I would appreciate any help with specific towns that I should look at. If you gave any specifics on their schools, High school sports, housing costs, cost of living and job markets that would also be great. My husband is in the land surveying field but open to other work as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Fairhope would be atop my list, even though that's on the coast.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM

I will look into it! thanks for responding!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,637 times
Fairhope is a great town, and has wonderful recreation facilities. Pools, soccer, baseball and football fields...and a skate park, all in the same place. The High school has a great football team, plus great academic program.

Check cofairhope.com and theutopianfairhope.com These sites help to know more about lovely town.

The housing market here is a bit different from your area, as you get more for the money in TX. (My son lives in McKinney) But our property taxes are much lower...about the lowest in the country. It is more humid and green..almost tropical, but we get cold weather...not as bad as Dallas .

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Thank You! Very helpful info! My child plays plays softball at Craig Ranch in McKinney quite a bit- it is a great town!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I love Fairhope too, but you can also find what you are looking for in NE AL including Guntersville. Small town, 69000 acre lake, quaint downtown, hills and lots of trees. I live 15 minutes away from there but sports is big here. You are 30 minutes from Huntsville or 50 minutes from B'ham. Where I live in Arab, the schools rank in the top 4 every year
Really there are many places in AL that would fit your desires.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-03-2012 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuzaa View Post
The High school has a great football team, plus great academic program.
They do have a great sports program in Arab and nearly 80% of all seniors received scholarships. This year one young man was appointed to West Point.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM

234 posts, read 708,189 times
I would suggest cities like:

-Guntersville - mountains
-Fort Payne - even more mountains, nearby is Little River Canyon National Preserve which is absolutely gorgeous
-Eufaula - a lot of Southern charm, definitely has those tree lined streets
-Athens - another good school system and a very good community with larger city amenities nearby in Huntsville and Decatur
-Cullman - pretty good athletics with a good community
-Hartselle - very good school system with pretty successful athletics
-Scottsboro - mountainous

The above cities are around 10,000-25,000

Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,881 times
We also love to live in a place with hills,woods, mountain and lakes. My husband likes this kind of place.
And we want also to change life style, a simple kind of living.
Thanks for all the suggestions here.. we'll talk about it.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
I raised my children in Arab, AL (I had grown up in Ct. and then lived in Huntsville before moving to Arab) and I can't think of a better place to have done that. The street we lived on was wonderful, the neighbors all looked out for one another (without being intrusive), it was common to go outside and be invited to the neighbors porch for iced tea. A very sports minded town, many folks go to the high school football games that don't even have children. A beautiful town park with many different events.
A very civic minded town and you will definitely get that small town 'involved' feeling, if you do get involved. If however, you move to the outside of town and do not get involved, it would be just another town (like any other).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama