Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 151,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa Godwin View Post
Does anyone own a condo. My husband and I just bought one in Gulf Shores on Clubhouse drive and need to get it insured. Any suggestions?
I do not own one, but I quote them quite often. There are many agents in the area that could service this. In my opinion, Lloyds has one of the finest condo policies on the market. It would also be worth your while to let someone work on reducing the associations costs, therefor lowering your own monthly or yearly fees. At its most basic, you want to insure "from the studs in" most likely, as your association likely covers the outside for wind/flood or hail. Please feel free to ask any questions!

Also, congratulations on your new condo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,091 times
Does anyone know who writes Loyds Of London polices

Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 56,858 times
Default Lloyds

Phil Owen

Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,013 times
Default GeoVera

I just received a notice from GeoVera that my Homeowner's insurance is jumping up to almost $3900.00 from last year's rate of $2600.00. I am in the process of trying to find out why, however I suspect it is do to a claim last June. Old water pipe burst in foundation and needed the carpet, sheetrock, paint and labor covered...which they did. The notice letter states the are increasing by 13% due to roof age. But, that would only account for about $335 of the increase. If they are increasing my premium due to the claim, I'm going to be livid (even more so than what these companies already have the right to do to us). Why should my rate increase when I have completely new plumbing in the house for which I paid for?? Such a Scam!!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,721 times
Hello,

The best way to lower your Home Owner's Insurance Policy is to get an alarm system with a big alarm system company and of course have a well known Home Insurance Company such as Allstate, State Farm, etc...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 AM

TLloyds typically has the best price in the area. Most carriers, using software, mandate the structural coverage you must carry, and all other coverages reflect that. For example, if your home is insured for $200,000, you will see 10% of that to other structures, whether you have them or not. The Lloyds policy eliminates this. You can choose the coverage you would like. dont have an "other structure" dont pay to insure it! This is why Lloyds is the best policy in the market, right now. However, there is one down side. It must be paid for in full. Not able to bill the mortgage company. But, you can usually get them to pay you back out of escrow once the policy is issued.

Please feel free to ask away. If I can help in any way, I gladly will.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed/see the ToS

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esabido View Post
Hello,

The best way to lower your Home Owner's Insurance Policy is to get an alarm system with a big alarm system company and of course have a well known Home Insurance Company such as Allstate, State Farm, etc...
Nothing could be further from the truth. You may not be from a coastal area. The companies you listed, for the most part, are not writing here. While State Farm has great auto rates, they are not writing homeowners. Allstate is not writing homeowners at all and has incredibly high auto rates. In the surplus lines market, Geovera will give you a 2-3% discount for an alarm. Nothing overwhelming.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogClark View Post
I just received a notice from GeoVera that my Homeowner's insurance is jumping up to almost $3900.00 from last year's rate of $2600.00. I am in the process of trying to find out why, however I suspect it is do to a claim last June. Old water pipe burst in foundation and needed the carpet, sheetrock, paint and labor covered...which they did. The notice letter states the are increasing by 13% due to roof age. But, that would only account for about $335 of the increase. If they are increasing my premium due to the claim, I'm going to be livid (even more so than what these companies already have the right to do to us). Why should my rate increase when I have completely new plumbing in the house for which I paid for?? Such a Scam!!
If I had been your agent, I would have advised you against filing this one, for the reasons you just found out. *ADMIN* this is not a sales advertisement, for information only.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Please do not refer folks to other sites for you to sell to them

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 AM

58 posts, read 138,058 times
The reason it's so expensive

Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM

68 posts, read 174,560 times
Default Insurance costs "where to Live"

[quote=jasonhorn;13519581]Well, I would like to try and answer some of these questions. My posts keep being deleted by the moderator, although I am not soliciting for business. I am an insurance agent located in Daphne, so I am familiar with what goes on here. Lets hope you read these before its deleted.

"is it cheaper to on homeowners insurance north of I-10 in mobile and baldwin county or is this not true"

That is generally not true. I write homeowners policies in Baldwin and Mobile. Typically, the further away you are from the water, the less expensive your rates will be. Right now, the carriers use Mobile Bay as a guide. I have never seen a hurricane form in Mobile Bay and am unsure how they came to use this as a guide. It should be listed as from the Gulf of Mexico, not from Mobile Bay. Please feel free to respond with any more questions, or you can PM me directly.

Ok I'm trying to get up to date info. Have things changed for the better in the last few years? We are retired and can live just about anywhere. Would like to be within 30-40 min. of coast, in an area close to city, restaurants, activities, etc. We have USAA now. So any ideas of where we should avoid or highways to be "north" of? Appreciate info. I have been reviewing all the info I can recently. Don't want to make a mistake this time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama