U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,585,031 times

Advertisements

"absolutely don't care about what you have to say or not say to get in."

Then you won't get in.

Good luck in meeting your needs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM

14 posts, read 104,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Starbucks made it to Prattville:>) There I try to be diplomatic ...

Nairda - Every place has some bad rep. Some is true. Some comes from people who did not get what they wanted and are lashing out. You ask two people the same question and will get three answers.
You have ties to Alabama but try not to understand it. Things take time here. Folks have to mull over change. It has to grow and suit them. You cannot superimpose CA and call it a fit. Good luck in your endeavor.
@ Threestep - Thanks Threestep! You are so right about the bad rep thing. Especially when it comes to the south. Because I do have ties to the south, it always offends me when I hear people continuing the stereotypes. There are some great people there. Like you said, all places require flexibility and acceptance from the person moving there. I think that some of my best personal qualities were inherited from those learned by my parents by growing up in the south. Even though I have been going to Alabama from the time I was born until present and never had any issues ~ I have heard the stories from my parents and grandparents, so I do know the issues. I also know that most of the relatives from my generation and further back live there, my parents are planning to move back, people that I have met here (black people) are desperately looking to move back, so there is something going on there that others don't understand. Now if Starbucks made it to Selma that would seal the deal for me! If you don't mind my asking - do you live in Selma?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM

18,318 posts, read 3,985,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
@ Threestep - Thanks Threestep! You are so right about the bad rep thing. Especially when it comes to the south. Because I do have ties to the south, it always offends me when I hear people continuing the stereotypes. There are some great people there. Like you said, all places require flexibility and acceptance from the person moving there. I think that some of my best personal qualities were inherited from those learned by my parents by growing up in the south. Even though I have been going to Alabama from the time I was born until present and never had any issues ~ I have heard the stories from my parents and grandparents, so I do know the issues. I also know that most of the relatives from my generation and further back live there, my parents are planning to move back, people that I have met here (black people) are desperately looking to move back, so there is something going on there that others don't understand. Now if Starbucks made it to Selma that would seal the deal for me! If you don't mind my asking - do you live in Selma?
Classic stereotype:>( Start with researching skeletons such as Ft. Douglas but Chicago is liberal, clean and has Starbucks.
You "know the issues" based on hear say from folks who should be in their 80s. Why are the "desperately looking to move back"? Cost of living, climate, mortgage broke, bringing a progressive lifestyle to those living in the backwaters?
I can say that I know a lot about the area - professionally, hanging out with tobacco chewing rednecks during deer season, spending a lot of time listening as folks talk when you give them the time of the day.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM

864 posts, read 979,433 times
To the OP(Nairda):

Don't move there. It's country and nothing is out there. Look at the other posters response and read between the lines if you don't believe me. Don't do it.

If you really want to move to Alabama, move to Mobile, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Montgomery or Huntsville. Give up on Selma. If you move to any city other then the ones I listed in Alabama and you and or your kids will likely be called "nig.e.r$" at some point. It will probably happen in the "big" cities I listed but at least you wont be in the middle of nowhere and can enjoy some culture. You may like Mobile if Bham is too big for you. Mardi Gras and lots of culture but of course not as cosmopolitan , but if that is concern NOLA is 2 and a half hours west on i-10 and beaches 20-40 min away.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM

18,264 posts, read 37,394,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
To the OP(Nairda):

Don't move there. It's country and nothing is out there. Look at the other posters response and read between the lines if you don't believe me. Don't do it.

If you really want to move to Alabama, move to Mobile, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Montgomery or Huntsville. Give up on Selma. If you move to any city other then the ones I listed in Alabama and you and or your kids will likely be called "nig.e.r$" at some point. It will probably happen in the "big" cities I listed but at least you wont be in the middle of nowhere and can enjoy some culture. You may like Mobile if Bham is too big for you. Mardi Gras and lots of culture but of course not as cosmopolitan , but if that is concern NOLA is 2 and a half hours west on i-10 and beaches 20-40 min away.
So her kids will be called the "N word" in Selma, where it's 75% black? Puhleeze

Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

@ Threestep - Right "the issues" are pretty much the same issues as everywhere - LOL! California, Maryland, Texas, New York (East, West, North, South). I think it all comes down to how you treat people and being willing to accept people as they are and move on and leave them alone if you don't. I hope that I didn't offend you. I know that email/posts/etc. are a disadvantage because you don't hear the tone. I wanted to convey that the stereotypes are ridiculous. My family is living proof fo that. I also wanted to convey that despite all that outsiders say about the South, Alabama in particular, multiple generations of my black family members are living and thriving there, and not complaining or thinking of moving anywhere else. With regard to people who don't live there now, despite all of the negatives they hear, they are trying to move there or back there for some reason. I do know some issues that exist there as a result of history, and people who are aged 25 - 87 as well as having spent a great deal of time there. However, I also meant to convey that the issues there are not more or less "crucial" than issues one would find anywhere in the country (or the world) for that matter. I didn't quite understand this sentence: "Start with researching skeletons such as Ft. Douglas but Chicago is liberal, clean and has Starbucks" - can you clarify it a bit for me? Again, I hope that the tone of my message to you wasn't offensive, and I apologize if I read your last response thinking that it implied that you were offended when you may not have been.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 AM

I really appreciate all of the comments about Alabama! This site has been more helpful than anything I have found on the web. I will definitely spend at least a month there this summer to "test drive" the area. I don't want any comments, thoughts or ideas to stop flowing my way, but if anyone out there currently lives in Selma - please give me your take on the everyday, humdrum life of Selma. Is it pet friendly, where can you walk or jog? Any areas to avoid? Favorite town event, time of year, or best cup of coffee. Is the traffic to Montgomery a mess in the morning? Is it pet friendly? Mark's Mart had some great "treats" - is that the best place to get a bottle of wine? Is trash pick up reliable? I am not naive enough to think that I'm going to find Mayberry or that I won't ever hear racial slurs (I've heard them in California, Maryland, Washington DC, Texas, France, Kenya, and tons of other places that are large and small). It would be really great if you are a transplant! Thanks so much for anything that you can share.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM

@Southernnaturelover and @muxbubbie - Thanks so much for your comments and input. I will definitely do my homework. This site is so helpful that I am trying to acknowledge everyone's comments. If I have not, or if I don't in the future, please excuse me - I never expected so much feedback! I hope to get more, but I know that I won't be able to respond to everyone so thank you for your response now and any future responses!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,936,462 times
I don't have any innate knowledge of Selma. All I know is I was there this last weekend for a musical performance at an old auditorium there in town. There are a lot of good things going on there, and people who are active in bringing culture in. But looking out into the audience as the concert began I noticed something. Almost all the black people were sitting in the balcony. And no white people were sitting in the balcony. I actually laughed, thinking about how far so many things have come to just have folks stick with old habits.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM

18,318 posts, read 3,985,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
@ I didn't quite understand this sentence: "Start with researching skeletons such as Ft. Douglas but Chicago is liberal, clean and has Starbucks" - can you clarify it a bit for me? Again, I hope that the tone of my message to you wasn't offensive, and I apologize if I read your last response thinking that it implied that you were offended when you may not have been.
In blatent terms - you started throwing the infamous race card. Everybody knows about Selma. Fine! Who knows about some of the other sides of the coin? Do some research. The deeper you dig the more you may find.

I do not know you but for the posts here. Selma may not be for you. You will not be able to change it. At some point you will adjust or leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama