U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 104,972 times

Advertisements

This has turned crazy! I AM not interested in changing Selma at all. I just wrote to find out about the place. Geez! I will visit and see if I like it. If there are reports about a black kid being the first to enter a school and no blacks allowed in a country club - then I am going to ask about it. I have tried to keep my posts lighthearted and even apologized to any who (because tone and facial expression aren't visible) may have thought/read my comments with their own cynicism embedded in it. To those of you who actually responded and provided me with the practical day to day living information, thanks a million! There is a history with regard to race in states where major events took place (there are issues in other places as well). Call it race card or whatever - but I think it would be crazy to not ask. My experience in Selma and The Black Belt have been wonderful, and continue to be. Again - if you have info. about day to day humdrum life, please let me know by direct message. If not, then kindly do not direct message me. Thanks guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM

4,740 posts, read 9,587,331 times
Threestep - I googled "Fort Douglas Chicago", nice point about change.

nairda = "Is the traffic to Montgomery a mess in the morning?"

Selma is a commuting destination with a 23% increase in daytime population. Selma is not a bedroom community for Montgomery.

Last edited by Reactionary; 02-28-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

18,331 posts, read 4,001,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Threestep - I googled "Fort Douglas Chicago", nice point about change.

nairda = "Is the traffic to Montgomery a mess in the morning?"

Selma is a commuting destination with a 23% increase in daytime population. Selma is not a bedroom community for Montgomery.
It looks like MeadowCraft is (again!) in business. A small ray of sunshine for Selma.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 AM

231 posts, read 544,204 times
Default To Selma from Calif. good idea, bad idea

I can't answer your question your question as to whether it is a good or bad idea, but I am familiar with Selma and the surrounding area. Basically, it's a dump. The crime rate is 4 times the Alabama averager. Jobs are practically non existent. No, there isn't much diversity in the area-it's likely around 90% Black. I am amazed that peop[le from that area are excited about it's futuresince I'm unaware of anything that could happen to improve it. Luck.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
I can't answer your question your question as to whether it is a good or bad idea, but I am familiar with Selma and the surrounding area. Basically, it's a dump. The crime rate is 4 times the Alabama averager. Jobs are practically non existent. No, there isn't much diversity in the area-it's likely around 90% Black. I am amazed that peop[le from that area are excited about it's futuresince I'm unaware of anything that could happen to improve it. Luck.
Nothing like some positivity:>) Meadow Craft is back in business:>)

Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM

209 posts, read 427,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
I grew up in Southern Ca, now live and work in a MD suburb of DC. Parents grew up in Gees Bend and Coy. Recently took a trip there w/ mom and seriously considering a move to Selma. Seems progressive and residents seem excited about the future. Met the owner of the new theater, also from CA. Most excitement seemed to be from transplants. What is the real deal? I read disturbing articles about the Selma country club, a group from Colorado trying to open minds, and about the 1st black student that started attending a school (in recent history, 2008). I'm an African American, Starbucks & 80s rock girl. I am a school principal at a very diverse school. While I know that Selma is not as racially diverse as MD or CA, and I may not be able to order sushi for delivery, those articles broke my heart and took the joy out of my planning. Nothing bad happened during my visit and people were nice, but I don't want to end up like those tourist who go on vacation, decide to move to a place, then find out that they only saw what the tour guides wanted them to see-help!

Well, in South, you do not need to pay any toll road and hour-long traffic delay in the highway.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009811 View Post
Well, in South, you do not need to pay any toll road and hour-long traffic delay in the highway.
Have you ever been to Birmingham:>)

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,274,249 times
I'd like to throw a little nugget in there...Being from North Alabama, the perspective of South Alabama was always that it was poor and behind the rest of the world. Now that I live in Birmingham metro but spend all of my time from Montgomery-South, I can attest that it's still largely poor and uneducated. From Southern Cal to Southern Al is going to be a BIIIIIGGGGGG leap in another direction. If what you want is a link to the past, all of it, the good, the bad, and the ugly, then by all means, move to Selma. If what you want is a life that is moving forward, with good income prospects, good quality of life, then avoid. South Alabama as a whole lacks infrastructure, motivation for higher education, and job/income prospects.

I see no reason at all to live in South Alabama. It surprises me that it's not completely empty of people until one arrives at or near the Mobile metro.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 PM

18,265 posts, read 37,410,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I'd like to throw a little nugget in there...Being from North Alabama, the perspective of South Alabama was always that it was poor and behind the rest of the world. Now that I live in Birmingham metro but spend all of my time from Montgomery-South, I can attest that it's still largely poor and uneducated. From Southern Cal to Southern Al is going to be a BIIIIIGGGGGG leap in another direction. If what you want is a link to the past, all of it, the good, the bad, and the ugly, then by all means, move to Selma. If what you want is a life that is moving forward, with good income prospects, good quality of life, then avoid. South Alabama as a whole lacks infrastructure, motivation for higher education, and job/income prospects.

I see no reason at all to live in South Alabama. It surprises me that it's not completely empty of people until one arrives at or near the Mobile metro.
Wow you're REALLY dramatic.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,677,657 times
Nairda...have you looked at some of the small towns in North AL around the HSV area? The area is beautiful, and we have more "diversity" due to the jobs brought in by NASA, Boeing, MDA, ect. We enjoy four true seasons and have the benefit of living at the base of the Appalachian Mtn chain.

Athens is a great little town, very charming, LOVE the downtown square. People are very friendly and nice, and they also have good schools (since you referenced having an educational background). It is also growing so it is wide open to newbies and new ideas To get into HSV (if you wanted some "big city" experiences, which HSV is not huge anyway!) it will take you about 20-25 minutes. Athens, however, seems a world away from HSV, honestly.
Madison is a small bedroom community on the west side of Madison Cty. The pride of Madison is the thriving housing market and some of the top schools in the state....as well as the nation (Bob Jones High is top 2% in nation of high schools). Madison is GROWING by leaps and bounds and education leads the way. We are an extremely diverse community with people from all over the world living here, again due to our job economy. We have a lot of former Cali residents here as well. A highly technical community...we are opening a new high school in the fall and the kids will utilize iPads instead of traditional textbooks/lockers.

Arab is another great little small town...about 20 minutes south of HSV. Some of the best schools in the state, extremely affordable housing. People are starting to discover what a gem Arab is...and once they do it will explode as the HSV "metro" is expanding to the outlying communities.

Hartselle is another very charming small town just south of Decatur. Very easy way of life....cute little downtown with shops and a decent variety of restaurants/general shopping. About 30 minutes into HSV for any major needs.

If you are checking out Alabama, you should give North AL a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
This has turned crazy! I AM not interested in changing Selma at all. I just wrote to find out about the place. Geez! I will visit and see if I like it. If there are reports about a black kid being the first to enter a school and no blacks allowed in a country club - then I am going to ask about it. I have tried to keep my posts lighthearted and even apologized to any who (because tone and facial expression aren't visible) may have thought/read my comments with their own cynicism embedded in it. To those of you who actually responded and provided me with the practical day to day living information, thanks a million! There is a history with regard to race in states where major events took place (there are issues in other places as well). Call it race card or whatever - but I think it would be crazy to not ask. My experience in Selma and The Black Belt have been wonderful, and continue to be. Again - if you have info. about day to day humdrum life, please let me know by direct message. If not, then kindly do not direct message me. Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama