Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM

18 posts, read 28,524 times

Advertisements

Well next year I will be 18 and able to access my money that I have got in a settlement and I decided to spend that money on land. I have allways dreamed of moving some place down south to escape the harsh winters of the north and have a new start on life. And I was wondering where at in Alabama should i move to. I am a avid outdoorsman, I love to hunt fish and camp so a small town is a must for me. Another issue is where in the state would I be most likely to find a job, I am going to school for welding next year so obviously that is my choice career. So what I need is some advice on where at I should go. I really like the northern part of the state like muscle schoals and Huntsville areas but i really don't know much about them, so what area would yall recommend for me, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Well, in the Mobile area you may be able to get a job at the shipyards, somewhere like Austal. Welding is pretty much a requirement there.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Welding is a good skill to have anywhere in Alabama. Come on down, we'd love to for you to join us. PS bring some Founders with you...

Mobile is a great location because of the shipyards, plus IIRC they will train you in advanced welding techniques. Huntsville is a good location, too, because people who can actually fabricate stuff are in demand.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Birmingham, too, what with the automotive industry that continues to grow. People with skills can always find something here.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Decatur/Huntsville is good. From what I have heard the people graduating from the welding program at Calhoun Community College in Decatur have a 100% placement rate on graduation.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
OP said he wants a small town, but everyone keeps talking about Birmingham and Huntsville.

Ryan412, my suggestion would be to line up some potential jobs first, check out the markets, and then move to where the jobs are. Don't just pick a spot and hope that you can find a job, because then you could be in trouble.

I know that Mobile has an abundance of welding jobs, but it's a big city. If you don't mind commuting into the city, there are plenty of country areas in rural Mobile County, north, west, and south of town. But, you have to be willing to deal with the traffic.

I would start looking for jobs in small towns first, and see if one is right for you. Check the demographics of the area though, or else you might end up sort of...out of place.

Keep in mind too that some towns are going to be more welcoming than others to a newcomer. If you really want to make your home here for the long term, you better find a place where you will be welcome to truly make yourself a part of the community, rather than always be seen as an outsider. Generally, in Alabama people will be friendly anywhere you go, but in some of the the small towns with a deeply entrenched "good ol boy network", it might be more surface level, and you can never truly be accepted on a deeper level because "he didn't even go to school here", or "I don't even know his Daddy" or something along those lines.

If you do your research, and come with an open mind, then I have no doubt you will love Alabama.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM

I don't really mind commuting to the city's for work, Just not major cities. Me with a large group of people don't mix well. I was born and raised country and I get stressed out driving through city composed of 10,000 people. Any small towns I should avoid? I don't really want to be seen as a outsider my whole life. My friend moved to bama for a few years and he said that he was seen as a yank or a outsider for the first few months and he had no major problems with the people there. I think I wold fit in more with the country folk down there, i do have an open mind and I get along with almost everyone I talk to. And I want to make bama my home for a long time. And in all honesty I dont really care what people say or think about me. If someone dont like me than so be it. Thats how i am.

I have spent some time in the south before (Georgia, virgina and florida) and I seemed to fit in quite well. I kinda developed a accent as well....Witch i wish never happened because I get made fun of for it every day.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM

As for mobile I really dont have a interest in, I want to stick to the northern part of the state

Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Consider the TVA Bellefont Nuke facility; Bellefont is in the engineering phase but expects to start construction soon; Northeast Alabama Community College (Rainsville) works with TVA to provide trained workers.

Jackson County (Bellefont) is fairly rural and is near Skyline Wildlife Mgt Area and Lake Guntersville. Plenty of hunting, fishing, and camping. Plus either Huntsville or Chattanooga TN are less than an hour's drive.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 PM

my friend lived in Rainsville. And hunting and fishing are a must for me. I will be buying my own tract of land for hunting but I love the idea of having a wildlife managment area around. I just hope I fit in good down there with yall because i dont fit in at all where I currently live. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama