Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yo View Post
I live in Atlanta, and I want to go to Panama City Beach, FL. Do you think I would be hassled for being in an interracial marriage with two children. Basically, I am going down Al-1/US 431. It might sound like a strange question but I am new to the south, and I am trying to have fun, not get into a fight with someone.
Sigh. Thank you for asking, but it's 2008, not 1958. Forgive the curtness of the answer, but it just isn't that way anymore. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. I suppose, simply because interracial couples remain somewhat of a novelty here, that you might get some doubletakes, but I can't imagine you'll encounter any hostility. If you did, it would be from some elderly throwback. But those are pretty thin on the ground nowadays.

Have fun on your trip.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM

251 posts, read 895,547 times
I agree. Mixed couples are every where.

You, I'm sure have been on the trip way before now, but Alabama as a whole is much different than people expect or think.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,331 times
Smile A lot more pleasant than you'd think

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yo View Post
I live in Atlanta, and I want to go to Panama City Beach, FL. Do you think I would be hassled for being in an interracial marriage with two children. Basically, I am going down Al-1/US 431. It might sound like a strange question but I am new to the south, and I am trying to have fun, not get into a fight with someone.
I live in SW GA (Albany) and as much racial tension as there is, I know several interracial couples (just as I did in Huntsville, AL) and nobody says ANYTHING; in fact, nobody even seems to notice. Seriously. Just as someone said, you're much more likely to get into it over football, politics or religion than race, and the only one of those factors that can be determined in a heartbeat (without protracted discussion) is your football loyalties. Well, unless you've plastered your vehicle w/bumper stickers.

Safe travels to you.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,331 times
Smile Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
I agree. Mixed couples are every where.

You, I'm sure have been on the trip way before now, but Alabama as a whole is much different than people expect or think.
Ain't THAT the truth. Alabama has its downside, but I LOVE it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
Red face rockbeck

it's been quite some time since ur post rockbeck, but if it is still a concern of yours, or helps anyone else....Alabama is generally conservative when it comes to such matters. The University of Alabama has more haughty, pompous wanna-bes than not....( hear the gasps of offense lol, but I really feel this is an accurate statement) So basically their opinion is crap. I think it's safe to say that very few people would really say much or do anything, just a few stares ( which is stupid as well). Also! White people aren't the only ones, though, to consider. Definitely some Black people here are just as racist and critical of interracial couples, espec Black women when it comes to White women with Black men. So if your daughter and her friend are truly happy and compatable, they'll be fine, and people will get over it.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:31 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post
@ rockbeck

I too attend the University of Alabama, and can appriciate the gravity of your situation. As much as we would like to believe that racism is kept primarily "under rug" in much of Alabama's bigger cities, the same can not be said of Tuscaloosa.

Racism is still extremely rampant there in certian circles, but just like any other place there are groups of people that are very tolerent of other's beliefs. Unfortuently, in Tuscaloosa, the "popular" and powerful tend to make up the racist circle where innocent good-looking girls have the belief "my daddy would kill me before he let me go out with a n*****." (yes I have heard this multiple times)

In those particular intolerant circles, the norm is general racism and anything else is looked at as extremist. Like I said though, it is really all about who you hang out with. I have a group of friends that make up a large part of the gay community on campus, a group of friends that hates anything that deviates from old south tradition (race, sex, ect.). I would like to say that I have a group of friends with a few interracial relationships, but the truth is I have not even seen one in my 3 years on campus.

I would adivse your daughter to step lightly and make sure she has good friends in this matter, as it sounds like she won't be getting any support from her current group.
In defense of Tuscaloosa I'd like to say that I'm 48 years old and know a good many interracial couples in this town. I've dated interracially myself in the past before I was married and I have a cousin who has been married to a black man for over 20 years. I never experienced any problems other than a few mean looks. The big thing with the campus is that it's dominated by the Greek system. The fraternities and sororities tend to make the other students feel left out of the social scene. Of course all the Greeks are very cliquish. It may do your daughter good to develop some friendships off campus.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,769 times
If Alabama is supposedly 10 years behind other states, that still puts it at 1998. I don't think 1998 was the height of racism in this country. You will be fine. Alabama is not "Hollywood's early 1900's Alabama portrayal".

Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 41,989 times
The Klan still exists but they only come out for show occasionally. At least I think that's all they do.

My husband's ex-stepdaughter has mixed children and sometimes lives with her boyfriend or his family and has never had a problem. My granddaughter is half hispanic and I've seen more discrimination against her than I have the others. But no one does it overtly.

Old timers and some not-so-rednecks use the N word without giving it a 2nd thought - it's the way they were raised. That's not an excuse, but it is an explanation for the stupidity.

When I was living close to Montgomery I had a good friend who happened to be black. She told me that there were several years that her family wouldn't have had much of a Christmas if it hadn't been for Gov. George Wallace and his generosity to her family because he knew her dad - not the public figure most people heard about at all.

For the most part Alabama is not the racist state it's made out to be.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
I took my biracial grand daughter to Montgomery and it was a very positive experience for both of us. Now, I must say that we spent time among the more intelligent white folk, they knew how to compose a sentence, spell words properly, put together a coherent thought, etc.

And they were not threatened by the soon-to-be minority majority in this country.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 25,266 times
No matter what everyone says " don't trust it". I had to drive through there with a few of my friends this past summer. I am white, my friends are hispanic and black. We are all females. There are some ignorant folk in that state. Scary. I would not suggest Alabama to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama