Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,588 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have specific information on "The Waters," a development near Montgomery? We are considering moving to AL and have been intrigued by this development. Does anyone have specific information on what it is like to live there, how the schools are there, etc? Thanks!

FYI, I would be moving with my husband, our three children (ages 4 to 11) and our very friendly Labrador.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 PM

32 posts, read 125,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Does anyone have specific information on "The Waters," a development near Montgomery? We are considering moving to AL and have been intrigued by this development. Does anyone have specific information on what it is like to live there, how the schools are there, etc? Thanks!

FYI, I would be moving with my husband, our three children (ages 4 to 11) and our very friendly Labrador.
The development is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY overpriced and far away from shopping. Currently, two failed grocery stores and a new CVS that is struggling. Have you considered DEERCREEK? It is a fabulous family oriented community with sidewalks for walking your dog or children, pool, tennis courts, exercise room, clubhouse, etc..... I strongly recommend this area great schools (Blount Elementary). The areas I would avoid are Halycon ....dreadful don't know who your neighbor is and scores at Halycon Elementary have plumbted in the last 2 years. DEERCREEK IS WILL KEPT and is a LOWDER/ARNOW development. Just make sure you ask who built the home ....I really prefer Lowder....we have lived in this community 8 years with excellent neighbors, no problems with our home (although some have...DUNLAKE) WE LIVE OFF THE MAIN CIRCLE near RaythorningtonRoad..great access to Vaughn and Taylor Rd. BEWARE OF STURBRIDGE....FOUNDATION ISSUESGOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO MONTGOMERY

Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 AM

32 posts, read 168,510 times
CMTIGER,

The Waters is a nice area, but as CITYCHICK mentioned, I think it's a bit overpriced with what you get. However, that can be said about a lot of developments in the Montgmery area, including places lide Sturbridge, Deercreek, Wynlakes, etc,etc. My wife has a friend that lives there and she and her family love it. Here is the website that may help you with information about The Waters. Welcome To The Waters: Montgomery Alabama

Citychick, I found your commentary interesting. While Deercreek is nice, it's certainly not the "end all to be all." I found the lots to be very small, and the houses too close together for the price they were asking and it's such a huge development. I do agree that the clubhouse, pool, running/walking trails and children's activities are great, but I've heard that Deercreek has foundation problems as well (homes built on prairie soil). So, I wouldn't be too quick to judge areas like Halcyon and Sturbridge, we have friends that live in all of the above mentioned subdivisions and they love them.

I live in Pike Road in the Lochshire community and we love it here. Lot sizes are great, great neighbors, and it's certainly a "community-oriented" feel. We don't have the clubhouse and pool but it's a great place to live

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM

20 posts, read 68,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafam View Post
CMTIGER,

The Waters is a nice area, but as CITYCHICK mentioned, I think it's a bit overpriced with what you get. However, that can be said about a lot of developments in the Montgmery area, including places lide Sturbridge, Deercreek, Wynlakes, etc,etc. My wife has a friend that lives there and she and her family love it. Here is the website that may help you with information about The Waters. Welcome To The Waters: Montgomery Alabama

Citychick, I found your commentary interesting. While Deercreek is nice, it's certainly not the "end all to be all." I found the lots to be very small, and the houses too close together for the price they were asking and it's such a huge development. I do agree that the clubhouse, pool, running/walking trails and children's activities are great, but I've heard that Deercreek has foundation problems as well (homes built on prairie soil). So, I wouldn't be too quick to judge areas like Halcyon and Sturbridge, we have friends that live in all of the above mentioned subdivisions and they love them.

I live in Pike Road in the Lochshire community and we love it here. Lot sizes are great, great neighbors, and it's certainly a "community-oriented" feel. We don't have the clubhouse and pool but it's a great place to live
The person who posted this us undoubtly trying to get in on the "realtor hype" of PIKE ROAD MADNESS FOR $$$$$$$.... What the writer of this post FAILED to clearly state was that the average property on Pike Road or near Pike Road sells for a mint just like the WATERS property is asking for. There is NOTHING ON PIKE ROAD FOR UNDER $400,000 that is livable. PROPERTY on PIKE ROAD sells for a mint even in a buyers market such as Montgomery is seeing now. Also, Pike Road is soon to been its own community with a school system and that will be the next FIRE in Montgomery so to speak.

In fairness, Sturbridge, Deercreek and Halcyon are very nice with conveniences, churches, schools, ......you name it. HOWEVER, DEERCREEK is zoned for the BEST SCHOOL IN MONTGOMERY CO. AT THIS TIME.... THAT WOULD BE BLOUNT ELEMENTARY NOT HALYCON WHICH IS GOING DOWN HILL VERY FAST BECAUSE OF COMMUNICATION ISSUES (ESL) and THE TEST SCORES PROVE IT. GREATER SCHOOLS WILL GIVE YOU THIS INFORMATION SHOULD YOU SEEK IT. STURBRIDGE / HALYCON ARE ZONED FOR HALYCON AND MANY FAMILIES WHO LIVE IN STURBRIDGE ARE SENDING/APPLYING FOR MAGNET DOWNTOWN. HECK WITH THE PRICE OF GAS THESE PEOPLE COULD GO TO ST JAMES JUST A FEW MINUTES DRIVE DOWN VAUGHN FOR WHAT THEY WOULD BE SPENDING IN GAS!!!!!!

TO LIVE IN THE WATERS COMMUNITY MEANS YOU HAVE GASSSSSS TO BURN AND $$$$$$$$$$ TO BURN TOO GRANITE AND HARDWARD CAN'T BE BEAT IN DEERCREEK FOR THE CONVENIENCES, TENNIS, POOL, EXERCISE ROOM, CLUBHOUSE, SIDEWALKS TO RIDE, WALK OR JOG, FAMILY COMMUNITY AND SINGLES OPPORTUNITY, ACTIVE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION ETC........WISE UP I HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 PM

32 posts, read 168,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOY2 View Post
The person who posted this us undoubtly trying to get in on the "realtor hype" of PIKE ROAD MADNESS FOR $$$$$$$.... What the writer of this post FAILED to clearly state was that the average property on Pike Road or near Pike Road sells for a mint just like the WATERS property is asking for. There is NOTHING ON PIKE ROAD FOR UNDER $400,000 that is livable. PROPERTY on PIKE ROAD sells for a mint even in a buyers market such as Montgomery is seeing now. Also, Pike Road is soon to been its own community with a school system and that will be the next FIRE in Montgomery so to speak.

In fairness, Sturbridge, Deercreek and Halcyon are very nice with conveniences, churches, schools, ......you name it. HOWEVER, DEERCREEK is zoned for the BEST SCHOOL IN MONTGOMERY CO. AT THIS TIME.... THAT WOULD BE BLOUNT ELEMENTARY NOT HALYCON WHICH IS GOING DOWN HILL VERY FAST BECAUSE OF COMMUNICATION ISSUES (ESL) and THE TEST SCORES PROVE IT. GREATER SCHOOLS WILL GIVE YOU THIS INFORMATION SHOULD YOU SEEK IT. STURBRIDGE / HALYCON ARE ZONED FOR HALYCON AND MANY FAMILIES WHO LIVE IN STURBRIDGE ARE SENDING/APPLYING FOR MAGNET DOWNTOWN. HECK WITH THE PRICE OF GAS THESE PEOPLE COULD GO TO ST JAMES JUST A FEW MINUTES DRIVE DOWN VAUGHN FOR WHAT THEY WOULD BE SPENDING IN GAS!!!!!!

TO LIVE IN THE WATERS COMMUNITY MEANS YOU HAVE GASSSSSS TO BURN AND $$$$$$$$$$ TO BURN TOO GRANITE AND HARDWARD CAN'T BE BEAT IN DEERCREEK FOR THE CONVENIENCES, TENNIS, POOL, EXERCISE ROOM, CLUBHOUSE, SIDEWALKS TO RIDE, WALK OR JOG, FAMILY COMMUNITY AND SINGLES OPPORTUNITY, ACTIVE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION ETC........WISE UP I HOPE THIS HELPS
FLYBOY2,

I'm no realtor and I'm certainly not about the "hype"--however, I am about allowing folks to make their own decisions about where to live in Montgomery and if they are using this forum to find information, then I'm certainly going to tell them my opinion--which I happen to think is unbiased. As I said in my initial thread, I think The Waters is a bit overpriced, however, that's not indicative of all of Pike Road. I live in a Pike Road community called Lochshire and there are numerous homes in this community in the low $300K range, across the street from Lochshire is a new community called Woodland Creek (which in my opinion is "Deer Creek East"), built by the same builder as Deer Creek --Lowder Homes and there are similar homes/prices there as well. So, I don't know where you came up with the "NOTHING UNDER $400K that is livable"--we certainly think that our house is very liveable. Maybe you're talking about Timbercreek or Timberlane or Mullis Creek and if that's the case, you're right, you'll pay in the upper $400-$500K range. However, there are plenty nice homes to be had in this area for well under $400K. I suspect most families could live in a 2500sq ft house sitting on nice oversized lot with no problem.

My kids are under 2 years of age, so the school system wasn't a priority for me in terms of finding a place to live, however, safety, spacious lots, quiet, and a family-oriented community where high on my list. I've heard great things about Blount and Halycon as well and Halycon maybe facing some issues--I don't know. I suggest if the person reading this thread has school-age kids they would research the information and make an informed decision based on ALL the facts.

As I mentioned, I think Deer Creek has some great homes, but in my opinion the lots are small and the houses too close together---others may like that, but it wasn't my preferance so I didn't buy there. Oh, and community amenities in Deer Creek are great---I'm sure well worth the $800 in association fees they pay.

CMTIGER, you asked for information about The Waters, you now have infomation on a number of other communities in Montgomery---make the best decision for you and your family---you're the one who will live with it.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,488 times
Haha... You guys are funny. The reason that the homes in east Montgomery are so much more expensive is because the people that move out there are willing to pay the extra money to get away from the troubles of the real Montgomery.

The Waters is definately more expensive than the rest of the nearby developments, but the quality of life out there seems to be much better than anything else in the Montgomery area.

When you are talking about Montgomery, you have to keep in mind just how bad parts of Montgomery really are. Some people are stuck in this area for work reasons, and are willing to pay the extra money to get away from the crap that goes on in the normal parts of Montgomery.

Deer Creek is nice, but it too is already taking a downhill turn. There are a ton of homes for sale out there, and that is resulting in a decrease in prices of those homes. It's a matter of time before that area starts to be just like the rest of Montgomery.

Lastly, get off of your high horse. It's Montgomery for God's sake.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,156 times
my family will also be relocated to montgomery within the year. after looking at the public schools there, we started looking in th auburn area only. however, i have recently found several area's in montgomery that i would like feedback on:

The Waters
The Hamstead
Wynlakes
Merry Station
Pike Rd

I'd love some OBJECTIVE opinions relating to schools, community, etc. We are coming from northern GA with lot's of land/mature trees and excellent public schools. I have 2 children (K-garten & @nd grader in the fall) and am clearly not strictly lot-driven given the neighborhood's I'm looking at. Look forward to some good feedback from everyone. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,965 times
holly-bama, The only areas I know on there well are The Waters, Wynlakes, and the Pike Road area. Wynlakes has lost a LOT of it's appeal and there are numerous houses for sale in there. The market for that neighborhood took a huge price drop in late '07 and it's hurt the neighborhood. While it is a very nice neighborhood, the majority of homeowners are in their 50's/60's. Most young families with children have moved out to the newer neighborhoods in Pike Road or up in Deatsville.

The Waters is nice, but is very pricey per square foot. It's not uncommon to pay $300k+ for only 1200-1400 square feet.

The Pike Road area has really boomed and from what I hear, it's even better than it was back in 2008.

HTH!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM

976 posts, read 2,685,731 times
I heard Pike Road has seen a boom also.
A lot has changed.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 11,091 times
Default merci

Merci de votre solution
que des informations détaillées

[url=http://simulationassurancevie.com/]comparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport[/url] - simulation assurance vie ! Les sites de simulation assurance vie[url=http://simulationassurancevie.com/]comparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama