Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,301 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly relocating from Michigan to Mobile, AL, where he would be working. We are both educated professionals and have been steered in the direction of looking at real estate in the Spanish Fort/Daphne/Fairhope area. We are a thirty-something couple without kids (though that may change in our near future) who like to spend weekends in our downtown area for the fine dining/theatre/clubs/overall culture, but who also like the safety/comfort/convenience of living in the suburbs (and we both love the water and have always been boaters). I have lived in MI my entire life and quite frankly am a bit torn about leaving my family/friends and great paralegal position I have here...however, as it's no secret, the economy here continues to plummet and my husband has been offered a great opportunity in Mobile. I've been reading the threads on this website and would love any information/insight anyone has about making the move from north to south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I guess the first question is what area will your DH be working in Mobile?
What commute time is acceptable?

Mobile has the downtown and IMHO would have more for a young childless couple than Baldwin county. All of the places in Baldwin county are really laid back and more family oriented.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks for responding. He would be working about 5 miles west of downtown Mobile...he has already been there to interview and made the commute from his potential new company to Fairhope, which he estimated was about 25 minutes, but with minimal traffic.

What/where is IMHO?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
IMHO = in my humble opinion

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM

I'd like to also add that even though Spanish Fort and Daphne are nice areas, there are very good neighborhoods within Mobile too. Drive along Knollwood Rd and Grelot Rd and you will see many nice (and newer) subdivisions. McGregor Ave has some older and pricey homes. The only bad part about commuting from Baldwin County (Daphne) to me is having to go through that tunnel every day. Trucks go way too fast through there and will nearly run you over. Sometimes the tunnel acts as a bottleneck too, making traffic come to a halt. All it takes is one traffic accident in there too and forget about it, you're late for work!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Traffic during rush hour from Fairhope is going to be at closer to an hour. Don't get me wrong, I love Fairhope but from what you described I don't know if Fairhope is for you. It is close to the bay and not that far to the gulf. Downtown has a lot of little shops and some good restaurants. They have kept WalMart out of Fairhope which I thinks speaks volumns for the town.
Also, as southernaturelover described the traffic going into Mobile on I10 involves not only the tunnel and trucks but very few exits so if there is an accident you will be stuck there. Of course, depending on where you live now the traffic may not bother you.

The best advice is to come down for a visit, travel to or from the area during rush hour. Check out the town and the area.

Mobile has a lot of nice areas. Traffic is a nightmare on Airport Blvd no matter what time of day or night. For you as a paralegal, Mobile is going to be your best bet if you are going to get a job.

All in all, you are moving to a wonderful area. It really all depends on what area suits you and your DH

Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks to everyone for responding. We are both planning on going to AL together in a week or so for a long weekend, so that I can get a feel for the place...any suggestions on places to check out/restaurants to eat at (we both love seafood!) We definitely also want to see the beautiful beaches we hear so much about.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM

80 posts, read 400,102 times
We just went through the same thing a few months ago (30 something couple with no children). I gave up a good job in KY because my wife got a great one here in Mobile. We had the same thoughts about the Eastern Shore from comments I read on here (specifically from the always positive "duncan st clair"). Now that we both have jobs and have bought a house in West Mobile, I wouldn't change a thing. Mobile is a great city and there's always something to do.

One of my favorite restaurants is Wintzell's Oyster House (try the West Indies Salad). Also check out the ones on the Causeway (Original Oyster House, Ed's, Felix's Fish Camp). They are all really good.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 81,111 times
I lived in the spanish fort area for a few months and it is a very goo choice over mobile It has a small town feel to it and also some very nice homes.
I did meet a few realtors when I lived there I would be happy to recommed some to you.
I live in Eustis , Fl and it also has the same feel small and surrounded by water.
Good Luck

Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Definitely try the Original Oyster House on the causeway. It's not fancy or formal, but it's goood! Rudy Giuliani even stopped there a couple of months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama