Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,556 times

Advertisements

Hi I am relocating from LaBelle Fl (small town of about 25,000) to Centre Alabama and I have some questions about working in Rome Ga. I am a single mom and was told that the economy is alot better in this area for me and my teen. We don't want to live in a big town such as Gadsden or Rome, we prefer the small town but drive to the bigger towns for activities (shopping, movies,
jobs etc). I am leaving a medical facility in Ft Myers Fl (about the size of Huntsville) working in medical billing (11 years experience) and I am wondering if anyone out there can give me a heads up on what I could expect an hour for wages?? Yes, Florida paid me very well but with housing and gas so sky high driving 1 hour and 45 min to work 1 way was just killing me. Not to mention that housing is $175k on the bad sections of town-no way I can afford this. I have found a place to live in Centre and we have already checked out the schools in November (Thanksgiving break) but I am starting to get really nervous about the pay. Please any suggestions from someone who works in the field or anyone who knows someone to give me some feedback.

Thanks very much-Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Lisa, the short answer is that you need to do more research from within your own expertise. If you are already working in medical billing, you can ask around by simply calling some of the offices of the med professionals in the area and finding out who does their billing, then asking questions as a person doing the same job in FL. Trading information like that between non-competing areas is more common than you might expect.

Centre is a sweet little town, but a bit far from Rome. Any reason for that choice? Be aware of state income taxes and sales taxes, which can affect your bottom line.

If, as an outsider, I had to make a guess, you would earn more working out of Birmingham or Huntsville and living in a surrounding community. Have you considered those areas?

FWIW, I've driven through LaBelle somewhat regularly and was in Centre last November.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,556 times
Talking Centre Al

Hi. Thanks for responding. I am moving there because my parents bought
property in Cedar Bluff and Sand Rock. It was just a vacation that turned into my daughter's obsession (13 years old). She absolutely fell in love with Centre and we have been to Huntsville but I was not liking the HUGE city. I am a flat land girl so when I had to drive over the "mountain" (which many from AL called it a hill-LOL) from Guntersville to H'ville I freaked out. It was definitely something I would have to get used to. Then to top it off we were lost in H'ville with alot of traffic coming at us from downtown-it is beautiful don't get me wrong but when I sent 70 resumes out I was told $9 to $10 was the most any Dr in H'ville offered. That is an insult to me when I have over 11 years of experinence-I know, I know lower cost of living but I don't want to work 2 jobs to take care of my girl. This time we went to Centre for vacation instead of Decatur, AL simply because my dad (school superintendent in my daughter's school) advised me that I may like the Cherokee co school system. I did check out the school and my daughter was sold the minute she talked to several kids that go there and also a teacher. It is more important to have a great school system but I don't want to not have a job. I did send out recently 20 resumes and not a bite which concerns me but on Monday I will do as you suggest and see what happens. Thanks
for the info though. B'ham is not an option-we didn't like the city it reminded me of Tampa too big. No offense to anyone who lives or is from this area-It was totally beautiful just not for us. Thanks Lisa

Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
"I did send out recently 20 resumes and not a bite which concerns me "

When you get in smaller areas (Rome being much smaller than Ft Myers and the surrounding cities), what works changes. Sending out blind resumes isn't going to get you very far in the door when those doctors are used to knowing the individuals they hire, their families, and even their histories.

When you do that interviewing for information, ask which doctors have higher turnover, which ones have special needs, which ones are new to the area, and any other questions that can make you more aware of the status-quo and niche markets.

Ft Myers has at least one "high-end" hospital, I remember walking through it a few years back and seeing the big expensive atrium and lots of polished stone, and thinking that I couldn't afford to have a bloody nose there, much less be really sick. Places like that aren't common in more rural settings, and if you were working there, I'm afraid you may be taking a huge hit in wages unless you can get creative and have other people working for you, or handle tough situations that others can't manage, or snag a couple of doctors just entering the area.

I totally understand your dislike of cities, but you do have to realize that you are placing your own limitations on your income stream if you exclude them. It isn't an insult to your experience, but low wages are a fact of life when counties like DeKalb Co. have to have special support to even keep a hospital in the county.

Just ask questions, listen carefully, and be polite and upbeat while you are waiting for something to turn up. Use any social network in the area that you might already have to act as eyes and ears. Best of luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:17 AM

232 posts, read 994,127 times
Harry's right about looking at Birmingham. It's a straight shot down I-59. Also try Ft. Payne, just north, and Gadsden, between Centre and Birmingham. All are within 30 minutes' drive or so, have hospitals (or "Regional Medical Centers") and could/should have some related employment opportunities with the hospital itself or affiliated doctors.

Try local "cosmetic surgeons" and area dentists, too.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,026 times
Lisa, I agree 100% with the other db and harry. I am originally from Bham. My family is from the Sand Mtn area. My parents moved (after 50+ yrs in Bham) to Guntersville, AL, about a year ago. It's a wonderful, sleepy town with the feel of the country. Anyway, there are hospitals (Albertville , Ft. Payne, Gadsden,) that might not be quite as insulting as far as pay goes, but you will find you are trading lifestyle and rural living for a less than impressive pay scale. You will be surprised at the number of people who commute to Bham for that reason. Carpooling is highly probable. Also, I agree that blind resumes rarely get you anything (in almost any size town but especially a small town like Centre). I would suggest taking a week and map out a plan and go in to every dr's office and medical facility you can google. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama