Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM

92 posts, read 468,205 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am really confused.. husbands new job will be In Enterprise. I dont want to make a mistake and buy somewhere I will regret. We love country life, but we also run to a store once-sometimes twice-a day. We run to Home Depot or Lowes every other day. We do movies and restaurants on weekends, along with fishing, hunting and fourwheeling. We need both!!! We are educated southerners at heart-no that is not an oxymoron!!! ha ha. Is Dothan too big of a town for us to live in-too cityish with not enough country? What about Enterprise? Realtor is showing us some properties in New Brockton and Ozark that look good with lots of property around-son could hunt right in the yard or fish in the lakes. Sounds good, but will I live next to a junkyard? Will I travel to a store, church, restaurants, etc..? Will I hate it and think I have gone to hell or will I love it and see it as heaven???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,685 times
Seriously -- and take this from someone with excellent hindsight -- rent for a while. It'll give you a chance to get to know the area better and potentially not make a costly mistake. Only you and your family can make subjective judgments like "too city" or "too far from town."

Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"We love country life, but we also run to a store once-sometimes twice-a day. We run to Home Depot or Lowes every other day."

Oh oh. In addition to the excellent suggestion to rent for a while, rent out of town and see whether or not you can break the addiction. Set one day a week as the shopping day and pre-plan some of your meals. Seriously, if you are going to be shopping during your free moments, it doesn't much matter if you live in the country or not. You'll be at the store either way.

Sprawl makes it all too easy to scoot to a store and be a consumer. When you can go a month or more without setting foot in a store of more than 1,000 square feet, then you've become country.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Good advice Harry....I think renting for awhile in one place or the other will give them a good idea of which place is right...and I think the market is going to remain soft for quite awhile so when the time comes to buy, it should still be a buyers market. I don't see it firming for quite awhile - do you?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 38,874 times
Lightbulb Think Big > Invest in your future today!

After researching, I just bought some land in New Brockton. When I retire, I will be able to enjoy the country life in a close knit community, and still be 6.6 miles from Enterprise. I will enjoy the day trips to the beach in Panama City, or big time shopping and entertainment in Dothan. I always enjoy the fire works, and our military hero's at Fort Rucker. Don't miss out on Bama Jam, between Enterprise and New Brockton, my family will be comming from Arizona again next year to see it. If you are asking for advise ??Most people that are wealthy from real estate, sell when times are good, and buy when times are bad. If you build, realize that the best and brightest are now available. Your building cost will be less, and the job will be done on time. When the economy is hot again, you will need to compete for their services, and pay their inflated prices. "Remember the last bubble."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama