Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM

208 posts, read 406,915 times

Advertisements

I live in a place somewhat far away from Alabama, nevertheless, I seem to encounter my fair share of Alabama women. It may merely be my imagination, but I've gotten the impression that Alabama women may be noticeably less inhibited about asking a man out for a date or initiating sex. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, do you think this is just an Alabama thing? A regional thing? A climatological-related phenomenon?

Though I'm very interested in travel, I've not had the opportunity to do much of it and for all I know there may be many states or other political subdivisions where women are aggressive, as well. So, I'm relying on my fellow forum members who are well-travelled. Feel free to mention any other states or places that you find noteworthy in this regard.

Disclaimer.
Dear Fellow Forum Members,
It is not my intent to cast aspersions on Alabama, Alabama women, the Southeastern U.S. or the South. I do not view this phenomenon, if it does exist anywhere outside my own mind, as negative. Rather I see it as a healthy, life-affirming form of social expression. I have a strong Southern heritage on both sides of my family, including ancestors from Alabama.

My appreciation to all who respond.

Last edited by JMT; 10-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Sorry, but this does indeed belong in the Alabama forum.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Aggressive as in, to the point?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
I live in a place somewhat far away from Alabama, nevertheless, I seem to encounter my fair share of Alabama women. It may merely be my imagination, but I've gotten the impression that Alabama women may be noticeably less inhibited about asking a man out for a date or initiating sex. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, do you think this is just an Alabama thing? A regional thing? A climatological-related phenomenon?

Though I'm very interested in travel, I've not had the opportunity to do much of it and for all I know there may be many states or other political subdivisions where women are aggressive, as well. So, I'm relying on my fellow forum members who are well-travelled. Feel free to mention any other states or places that you find noteworthy in this regard.

Disclaimer #1.
Dear Moderator,
I realize at first glance that this post may appear more appropriate for the Alabama forum. After careful thought, I intentionally posted it on the General U.S. forum because, while I do want the opinion of Alabama natives, I realize that from a native's perspective, the subject phenomenon may not be noticeable because they've become accustomed to it. For this reason, I believe the input of those living outside Alabama is particularly crucial.

Disclaimer #2.
Dear Fellow Forum Members,
It is not my intent to cast aspersions on Alabama, Alabama women, the Southeastern U.S. or the South. I do not view this phenomenon, if it does exist anywhere outside my own mind, as negative. Rather I see it as a healthy, life-affirming form of social expression. I have a strong Southern heritage on both sides of my family, including ancestors from Alabama.

My appreciation to all who respond.
I think "U.B.Trippin."

The ladies from the South are just less reserved, friendlier, and more outgoing. (Many Northerners mistake this for being fakey or hokey, which sometimes it is, but most of the time it is not.)

If you're not from the South then I'm guessing you're mistaking their overt friendliness (unless they're just putting their hands down your pants, YES!)for something that it is not. Sometimes we as men think a little too highly of ourselves and mistakenly take cheerful conversation with women for something that might lead to sex.......when in actuality, in the VAST majority of womens' minds, they are not remotely considering anything sexual. Darn shame.

My wife experienced the same misconstrued intentions when we lived on the West Coast. She's a knockout and, there were a few times, when she smiled at someone/initiated conversation where the man was taken aback because women in other parts of the country generally do not do that.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Aggressive as in, to the point?
I don't think my OP was that vague. Nevertheless, I have copied, pasted and placed in bold text the portion of it, which answers your question below:

noticeably less inhibited about asking a man out for a date or initiating sex

Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think "U.B.Trippin."

The ladies from the South are just less reserved, friendlier, and more outgoing. (Many Northerners mistake this for being fakey or hokey, which sometimes it is, but most of the time it is not.)

If you're not from the South then I'm guessing you're mistaking their overt friendliness (unless they're just putting their hands down your pants, YES!)for something that it is not. Sometimes we as men think a little too highly of ourselves and mistakenly take cheerful conversation with women for something that might lead to sex.......when in actuality, in the VAST majority of womens' minds, they are not remotely considering anything sexual. Darn shame.

My wife experienced the same misconstrued intentions when we lived on the West Coast. She's a knockout and, there were a few times, when she smiled at someone/initiated conversation where the man was taken aback because women in other parts of the country generally do not do that.
Yes, I do B. Trippin, hence the username. This is the second time someone has made that observation and it wasn't that revelatory or amusing the first time either.

I am from the South, (funny that you would assume I wasn't), and have spent the vast majority of my life here. I am well into middle age and have had enough experience with women of all sorts to know the difference between sincere friendliness, casual flirting and sex.

Women from many different states and countries have initiated conversations with me and I've never mistaken their friendliness, curiosity or need for information as a sexual overture.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Seriously, does anybody bother to actually read the OP before posting a response?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
Yes, I do B. Trippin, hence the username. This is the second time someone has made that observation and it wasn't that revelatory or amusing the first time either.

I am from the South, (funny that you would assume I wasn't), and have spent the vast majority of my life here. I am well into middle age and have had enough experience with women of all sorts to know the difference between sincere friendliness, casual flirting and sex.

Women from many different states and countries have initiated conversations with me and I've never mistaken their friendliness, curiosity or need for information as a sexual overture.
Lighten up, Spanky!

>>>>>
I am well into middle age and have had enough experience with women of all sorts to know the difference between sincere friendliness, casual flirting and sex.
<<<<<

If this were true then you wouldn't have asked the original question in the first place.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM

196 posts, read 231,585 times
I think women in the south are less conservative when it comes to sexuality than anywhere I have ever been. That is why the "baby mama" epidemic is so bad throuhgout all of the south.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Too much ambiguity? Are you making this observation from frequenting bars or from attending Symphonies? Are you hanging-out in trailer parks or black-tie events? Is this happening at church gatherings? Is this happening at the kids' soccer games? Are these "southern women" married? Have you encountered women from ALL other demographics to compare against the "southern woman?" And your sample size, I believe you refer to it as "my fair share," how many is that?

Just because one woman, who happened to be from the south, gave you a little attention don't assume all "southern women" are going to find you irresistable .

This thread offends me for its preposterous and baseless generalizations - and I'm a male.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
OP is obviously jerk by his responses to posters. I wouldn't bother trying to answer his question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama