U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM

768 posts, read 2,016,123 times

Advertisements

I've been pulling up information on small towns in N AL and was shocked to see that Falkville has 10 sex offenders--the town only has like 1203 residents.

Falkville surely has schools and sex offenders can't live within so many feet of a day care, school, etc. So how could 10 sex offenders live in a 3.something square mile radius (of course, that is the town of Falkville, not the outskirts) and NOT be that close to any daycare, school, etc?

Any idea why there are so many registered sex offenders among the Falkville population?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM

5,950 posts, read 17,050,990 times
Don't know exactly why. Falkville is a very small town and the post office covers a bigger area of countryside...so although it may be the same zip code, the residence could be several miles away. Only 1 school in Falkville...don't know about daycares...

Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,075,522 times
You are right Southlander.. Arab proper isn't that large but the police jurisdiction goes way beyond that, I think it is 3 miles each way so while it may seem like a lot it may be they live in the zip or within the police jurisdiction.

They also don't count this area in the population of Arab. Pop. say 7500 but in reality there are 14,500 in the area.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,980 times
Default sex offenders

I read your comments and questions regarding 10 sex offenders living in the town of Falkville. I would be very alarmed if this was the case. I looked up the 10, and ALL do live outside of the town incorporated limits. As a School Counselor and a Town Councilman, this is a great concern. And just because they do reside in the county, my fears are not relieved. The Morgan County Sherrif's office does have an active registration prgram for these scum of our society.
Matt

Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 PM

527 posts, read 1,406,391 times
Keep in mind, not all sex offenses are the same. Here in KS, I know of a friend who got charged as a sex offender for pulling over and running behind a tree to relieve himself. Unforunately there was a cop who saw him do it and charged him with public lewdness even though he wasn't showing anything and ever since, he has had to file with the city as a sex offender every year. That can skew the percentages, IMHO. Also there are some 17 year olds who get charged as a sex offender when they had consenual sex with their 16 year old girlfriends, etc. The ones I would worry the most about is the child molesters. That I don't like.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:40 AM

91 posts, read 291,051 times
Blame the postal service LOL

Seriously.

I will tell you why.

I live 22 miles from my post office. I live on Lewis Smith Lake. Right above the dam. My address is 5*** L*** F***** Rd JASPER Alabama 35504. I know people that live even farther out than me that are on the Jasper mail route. I used to have a Nauvoo Alabama mailing address although I was only 3 miles outside of Jasper but 19 miles from Nauvoo at the time LOL

So those people could live 20 miles or more from that particular small town post office. Google the address and youll see how far out of the community they are.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 PM

208 posts, read 573,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
Blame the postal service LOL

Seriously.

I will tell you why.

I live 22 miles from my post office. I live on Lewis Smith Lake. Right above the dam. My address is 5*** L*** F***** Rd JASPER Alabama 35504. I know people that live even farther out than me that are on the Jasper mail route. I used to have a Nauvoo Alabama mailing address although I was only 3 miles outside of Jasper but 19 miles from Nauvoo at the time LOL

So those people could live 20 miles or more from that particular small town post office. Google the address and youll see how far out of the community they are.
I noticed the same thing when I looked at a small town in Tennessee where some of my relatives live. It had a low ratio as well but I was looking at the addresses---most weren't even in the town limits. The number was based on the zip code, not the town population. But city-data uses the town population to figure the ratio. That skews the data. A more accurate ratio would be the ratio in the zip code.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times
I worked in Damville (Danville) Al. for a year, Its next to falkville, There ar A lot of Mennonites in that area. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

3,769 posts, read 3,329,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarm View Post
I worked in Damville (Danville) Al. for a year, Its next to falkville, There ar A lot of Mennonites in that area. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
That's just stupid.

I live in Danville. I also was appalled when I saw how many came up as a Danville address (population proper about 400). Some were actually Danville, IL and some are more in the Decatur area. Not actually in Danville.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 AM

18,324 posts, read 3,993,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarm View Post
???? Digging up a post from 02/2009 for that????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama