Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you have seen the new Special needs subforum in Parenting. One of our moderators requested this since she works with special needs children.

I lived in FL and can tell you CPS is a joke. The state has cut so many services for children it is disgusting.

I am glad your daughter has you to fight for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Bravo - State Rep. Cam Ward (R - Alabaster) is involved with the Alabama Autism Task Force, you might consider contacting him. He's a good place to start, if you'd like to influence Alabama policy.

Autism Society of Alabama

Welcome to Representative Cam Ward's Official Site

Autism: A Challenge for Our Schools » Doc’s Political Parlor

Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Bravo - State Rep. Cam Ward (R - Alabaster) is involved with the Alabama Autism Task Force, you might consider contacting him. He's a good place to start, if you'd like to influence Alabama policy.

Autism Society of Alabama

Welcome to Representative Cam Ward's Official Site

Autism: A Challenge for Our Schools » Doc’s Political Parlor
THANKS!!!! A million thanks to you!!! This is where the war must be waged unfortunately...on the politcal front.

You've made my day.

John

Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 AM

10 posts, read 43,481 times
To those that may be interested--Yesterday, the autismspeaks.org website posted a video glossary produced by the Florida State University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD) and First Words Program that shows behaviors/warning signs to look for in young children suspected of having a ASD.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 27,922 times
Default Huge help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
MDtoAL - there is a difference between disabled, mentally ill, or both - with different programs for each category. The Mental Health Center is your starting point.

The weekly trips / activities and daily counseling I referred to are for Serious Mentally Ill (SMI) - so maybe not for you. However:

- AL Department of Rehabilitation Services runs the 'sheltered workshop' on Johnson Road for age 18 over. Clients get paid for 'piecework'.
- Handi-Ride will pickup / dropoff age 18 over (including New Market) during week (~7 or 8 am to ~ 5 or 6 pm).
- any federal program you currently get (Medicare / Medicaid), you keep.
- check out the Social Security PASS (Plan to Achieve Self Support) grant program.

Case managers access a broad range of services and will guide you through available programs.

Note that there are programs for children too, including school at MHC and transportation.
Thank you for this information it's the best news I have had in a year.
You see, my daughter is 22 yrs old. She has slight learning disabilities (hardly noticable) and she deals with bipolar though, with medication and regular visits to the Dr. she does well. She will not drive, can't read well enough to pass the test but, is a delight to be with. She is prescious. Works hard and is willing and able to work. She desires to have a place of her own to live in one day and provide for herself as best as she can.

I am moving from MD due to divorce after a 17 yr. marriage and spending the last part of his career with the USN and retirement. I left my home in AL 18 yrs. ago and now with the divorce, want to return to family. H'ville has changed so much in 18 yrs. !!! I met a builder, bought a beautiful lot in New Market for a very reasonable price. The house is almost finished and my divorce will be final the end of Nov.

My move date is 26 Nov. and I have been torn about this decision to come back home until I got your information.

I know the services will be different, she does recieve SSI and Medicaid.
My #1 priority is to help her to become a strong independent citizen, working and happy with her life. My goal in life is to help her achieve her goals in life.

If she could live with me for maybe a year or so, get working with some sort of transportation to and from while I am working a full time job to keep a roof over our heads then at some point she will be ready to find a low income apt. somewhere close enough to me that I can check in with her from time to time and see that she is doing well and happy with new friends, church, work etc...

So, thank you again for the good information. I am reallly looking forward to building a new life for myself and helping my daughter build a life of her own.

MDtoAL

Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 PM

Hello MdtoAL

I connect with you so very very easily....

First Welcome to Alabama....welcome home....my 10 daughter is autistic/MR.

You are already (no doubt) used to battling like a warrior for your daughter...as we are.

Go ahead and get in contact with Alabama Medicaid and the Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation. While they struggle, your success may depend on your local office/caseworkers. The governor has tried to help these agencies and although they struggle with management.

One of the things you may find is local resources in Huntsville that can supplant what the government can do. We are very lucky in Birmingham to have many nice programs through UAB, The Exceptional Foundation, Glenwood etc....that are wonderful for Special Needs people.

Huntsville is a very progressive community and connecting with your local Autism/MR groups is key...

And PLEASE feel free to contact me through PM or email if I can help....

b

Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 27,922 times
Thank you Bravo! It's going to be good to be back home!

My daughter is 22 yrs. old and lives with me. She will for a while for sure. She is currently recieving SSI with Medicaid and I am told she will keep these benefits and a "transfer" is all that is needed. (notify of new address to the SSA) they will do the rest.
I am told that I will get a list of providers in the area and we will just make a choice of Dr.'s near us. Her benefits will continue and I am looking forward to getting her working at the Dept. of Rehabilitation. Hopefully the transportation with handi-ride will be there for us.

Yes, it has been a fight for everything I've worked for in her life. Building a network of friends and services to include good Dr.'s and key people in her life that she can trust and count on if need be is most important.

If it's out there I will find it, one way or another.

Thank you again for your encouragement.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtoAL2007 View Post
Thank you Bravo! It's going to be good to be back home!

My daughter is 22 yrs. old and lives with me. She will for a while for sure. She is currently recieving SSI with Medicaid and I am told she will keep these benefits and a "transfer" is all that is needed. (notify of new address to the SSA) they will do the rest.
I am told that I will get a list of providers in the area and we will just make a choice of Dr.'s near us. Her benefits will continue and I am looking forward to getting her working at the Dept. of Rehabilitation. Hopefully the transportation with handi-ride will be there for us.

Yes, it has been a fight for everything I've worked for in her life. Building a network of friends and services to include good Dr.'s and key people in her life that she can trust and count on if need be is most important.

If it's out there I will find it, one way or another.

Thank you again for your encouragement.
Happy to help....please let me know once you get here if I can assist....with Medicaid or ADMHMR....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama