Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 10,057 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating in a couple of years to Selma from NJ. It seems to be very historical there which is what I like. Can someone tell me more about it? Is it a good place for kids to grow up? Friendly people no matter where you come from?? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Do you have a job lined up? Unemployment is very high in Selma.

I can see the historical allure of moving to Selma, which operated a major Ordnance and Naval Foundry during the Civil War.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM

231 posts, read 595,490 times
Default Selma?what's it like?

It's a dump. Every time I post that some place I'm familiar with is less than Heaven, someone comes forth to inform me what a great place it is. Even so Selma is a dump and likely will still be so when Gabriel blows his horn.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I really hate to harsh on the place, but it is really a terrible place to work/raise kids. Either you're in with a very small group of elite, or you are just rabble. No meaningful jobs, no amenities and poverty. It's an historic place, to be sure, but visit only. You'd be better off living in a more attractive small town in Alabama such as Montevallo and visiting.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,057 times
Thank you soooo much for your replies!!!! and for your honesty!!!

I don't have a job lined up but I work from home so the employment issues there wouldn't be an actual issue for me. I was in awe of the beautiful historical homes and the prices seemed too good to be true! Now I undersand why but that is probably the case where the beautiful homes that are actually affordable are not necessarily in places you would want to live ((

I grew up and live at the Jersey Shore and feel that I am ready for a change in a few years. Plus I would like to feel I can get more for my money that I work so damn hard for. NJ is so expensive. Ugh!!!

I don't like asking this question because it sounds so stereotypical, but I will anyway...lol. If I moved to Alabama would they not like me because I am from NJ??? Unfortunately, it seems like sometimes you have to be concerned about things like that.

cpg35223, you mentioned Montevallo. Just curious, is that historical. I love old homes.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
You may get some friendly ribbing cause you are a yankee. I spent some time in NJ many years back and folks up there weren't bashful about calling me a hick. You just roll with the punches.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Among Alabamians, Selma doesn't have a very good reputation. You can find older homes for sale in smaller towns like Andalusia and Brewton, and it would be a much more pleasant place to live.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM

231 posts, read 595,490 times
People will accept you for what you are. Parts of Alabama are somewhat "backward" to many people, however, some of the more "progressive" areas of the Nation haven't proven to exactly be bastions of intelligence and wisdom given the economic condition some of them find themselves in. Accordingly, an attitude of superiority won't be welcome. People who move in from other areas and try to remake Alabama communities into the one they just left aren't going to blend in either. Alabama has always been a "live and let live" kind of place, though it's changed a lot over the years. Just relax, take it easy.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Among Alabamians, Selma doesn't have a very good reputation. You can find older homes for sale in smaller towns like Andalusia and Brewton, and it would be a much more pleasant place to live.
When a town in Alabama doesn't have a good reputation even among Alabamans, that's a pretty good sign. Went to Selma once. Was in Montgomery and saw a sign that said "Selma 50 miles" or something and thought, "What the heck?" I didn't even make it all the into town. The outskirts were dreadful. Never saw the famous bridge.

There are lots of places in Alabama (and indeed throughout the South) that are famous for historic reasons, but you would never EVER choose to live there. Tuskegee is another, and it's worse than Selma.

PS -- Why do so many people up north think that they won't be accepted if they move down South? Don't they realize that half the folks down here are all from up north?!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Don't they realize that half the folks down here are all from up north?!
That might as well be the case in Georgia, but definitely not in Alabama. (especially in places like Selma and other small towns in AL)

Indeed, Selma is in the heart of a depressed area called the "Black Belt" which also includes places like Tuskegee. Its interesting how a few miles can make the difference though. You can find growth and/or progressive areas not far from Selma and Tuskegee. Auburn and Montgomery for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama