U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,148,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
PS -- Why do so many people up north think that they won't be accepted if they move down South? Don't they realize that half the folks down here are all from up north?!
Outside of some select cities (none of which are in Alabama), that is so not true.

Last edited by bluebeard; 12-06-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM

389 posts, read 445,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg5 View Post
I am thinking about relocating in a couple of years to Selma from NJ. It seems to be very historical there which is what I like. Can someone tell me more about it? Is it a good place for kids to grow up? Friendly people no matter where you come from?? Thx
Forget about Selma. Check out Dothan, Mobile, or Fairhope.

Last edited by hiway 231; 12-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM

13,708 posts, read 19,168,039 times
^^^ Baldwin County truly is a gem in Alabama. The short (yet beautiful) coastline aside, there are dozens of little small towns and progressive little cities throughout. Best part of Alabama IMO.

As to my "Yankees down south" comment ... yeah, I guess y'all are right. Living in Georgia, and particularly a city like Savannah which is a melting pot of people from all over the world, one easily forgets that is not the case in many places still. In Metro Atlanta especially you just take it for granted. Discovering someone is a native and not a transplant is indeed a surprise.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 PM

18,143 posts, read 37,101,520 times
Quote:
As to my "Yankees down south" comment ... yeah, I guess y'all are right. Living in Georgia, and particularly a city like Savannah which is a melting pot of people from all over the world, one easily forgets that is not the case in many places still. In Metro Atlanta especially you just take it for granted. Discovering someone is a native and not a transplant is indeed a surprise.
It seems most transplants in Alabama are in Baldwin County, Shelby County, and Madison County.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,127,569 times
I've heard extremely good things about Fairhope. I'd be scared of the hurricanes though.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
chj

128 posts, read 330,616 times
I've been to Selma once, I was passing through and I stopped at the police department to ask for directions and they were not helpful at all. I was on my way to Tuscaloosa and I went through Thomasville and at somepoint the road forks and the way I went goes straight to Selma, so me and my cousin go into the police department to ask how to get to Tuscaloosa from there and it was almost impossible to get them to tell me how to get out of there. I've learnt to just stick with the interstate.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,586,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chj View Post
I've been to Selma once, I was passing through and I stopped at the police department to ask for directions and they were not helpful at all. I was on my way to Tuscaloosa and I went through Thomasville and at somepoint the road forks and the way I went goes straight to Selma, so me and my cousin go into the police department to ask how to get to Tuscaloosa from there and it was almost impossible to get them to tell me how to get out of there. I've learnt to just stick with the interstate.
Sorry to hear about that, but it wouldnt of taken them not even 2 mins to tell you to get back on US 80 West to either Alabama 5, Alabama 25, Alabama 69, or to US 43 in Demopolis. All routes would of indirectly or directly lead you back to Tuscaloosa.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 12-11-2012 at 01:16 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,586,293 times
Quote:
When a town in Alabama doesn't have a good reputation even among Alabamans, that's a pretty good sign. Went to Selma once. Was in Montgomery and saw a sign that said "Selma 50 miles" or something and thought, "What the heck?" I didn't even make it all the into town. The outskirts were dreadful. Never saw the famous bridge.

There are lots of places in Alabama (and indeed throughout the South) that are famous for historic reasons, but you would never EVER choose to live there. Tuskegee is another, and it's worse than Selma.

PS -- Why do so many people up north think that they won't be accepted if they move down South? Don't they realize that half the folks down here are all from up north?!
Thats because you were on the Selma By-pass (current US 80). The route into downtown Selma (including the Edward Pettis Bridge) is old US 80.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM
chj

128 posts, read 330,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Sorry to hear about that, but it wouldnt of taken them not even 2 mins to tell you to get back on US 80 West to either Alabama 5, Alabama 25, Alabama 69, or to US 43 in Demopolis. All routes would of indirectly or directly lead you back to Tuscaloosa.

I can't remember the exact way we went but someone finally told us how to go. I remember going thru Demopolis though.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times
Selma is a HORRIBLE place! Many nice places in the state of Alabama but Selma is not one of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama