U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 AM

23,532 posts, read 946,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chj View Post
I've been to Selma once, I was passing through and I stopped at the police department to ask for directions and they were not helpful at all. I was on my way to Tuscaloosa and I went through Thomasville and at somepoint the road forks and the way I went goes straight to Selma, so me and my cousin go into the police department to ask how to get to Tuscaloosa from there and it was almost impossible to get them to tell me how to get out of there. I've learnt to just stick with the interstate.
If I'm not mistaken, the "tine" of the fork that you didn't take would have been Hwy 43, which goes north through Linden, Demopolis, etc., and straight to/through Tuscaloosa.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM

231 posts, read 541,241 times
Default Selma-what's it like

Depressed and depressing.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:58 PM

491 posts, read 380,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I really hate to harsh on the place, but it is really a terrible place to work/raise kids. Either you're in with a very small group of elite, or you are just rabble. No meaningful jobs, no amenities and poverty. It's an historic place, to be sure, but visit only. You'd be better off living in a more attractive small town in Alabama such as Montevallo and visiting.

I'm really torn on Selma because while the city has some very serious problems and has been fading for the last 30+ years, it is where I grew up and I know for a fact there are some wonderful people from there. In fact, it's suprisingly old money and not anywhere near as redneck as some make it out to be. Having said that, MANY of the old money families and a lot of bigger names in the community have left for other places in recent years. The city was still pretty viable in the 80s and 90s when I grew up there but it's just a shell of what it once was. It makes me sad to because I have a lot of fond memories of the area.

Incidentally, if you enjoy the quiet life and you are a big hunter/outdoorsmen the area has some incredible hunting. Given the well know negatives, it is also interesting that current Boston Red Sox pitcher Jake Peavy and his family moved to Selma a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama