Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 AM

78 posts, read 56,278 times

Advertisements

Hey, I will keep it short but here it is. I'm a pretty conservative person (both socially and when it comes to politics), I'm in my 20's and I live in the Boston area. Religion is pretty important to me, unlike most people in my area

While I'm still young with no real responsibilities I want to relocate to somewhere that I will be happy in long term. I've considered Texas and Arizona, but everyone keeps leading me to the Deep South (AL, MS, TN, SC, parts of GA not in Atlanta). Alabama seems beautiful, and I would just like to know a bit about some different cities and what it would be like for a younger, single guy. I'm not interested in B'ham or Montgomery because of certain demographics as well as the fact that I don't want to be in a really dense and built up area.

Huntsville looks nice, as does the Mobile (Fairhope has been suggested) area.

I'm a young guy, currently work as a server. I don't have a degree but I do have a couple thousand dollars to get me started. Eventually I would like to open a business of some sort, but for now I am really interested in any job that doesn't require me to have a BA that can pay bills.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM

779 posts, read 1,011,802 times
I wouldn't live anywhere in the state of Alabama other than Birmingham and MAYBE Mobile. Since you don't want to live in Birmingham, I would say Mobile. However, the reason I don't like much of Alabama is because it's too conservative so you would probably be happy anywhere. I would say that Birmingham is probably the most beautiful area in the state in terms of scenery so maybe you could find a place outside of the city that would make you happy.

It's really hard to say what place you would be happy with because I don't know what demographics you don't like about Birmingham or Montgomery. Maybe if you could go a little more in depth, we could tell you which areas to avoid.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere in the state of Alabama other than Birmingham and MAYBE Mobile. Since you don't want to live in Birmingham, I would say Mobile. However, the reason I don't like much of Alabama is because it's too conservative so you would probably be happy anywhere. I would say that Birmingham is probably the most beautiful area in the state in terms of scenery so maybe you could find a place outside of the city that would make you happy.

It's really hard to say what place you would be happy with because I don't know what demographics you don't like about Birmingham or Montgomery. Maybe if you could go a little more in depth, we could tell you which areas to avoid.
High crime and I would be the demographic minority as the city is 75% or so percent African American. Not that's a bad thing however it's not what I want. I am not really a city person tbh.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,450,033 times
Just as Mattapan doesn't define the Boston metro, Birmingham metro has some nice areas. Birmingham isn't as densely populated as Boston (or suburban Lexington, for that matter).

From C-D:

Quote:
"In 2000 there were 343,454 black Americans in Massachusetts, 5.4% of the population. Blacks constituted more than 25% of Boston's population."

"The black population of Alabama in 2000 numbered 1,155,930, or about 26% of the total population."

Blacks constitute more than 73% of Birmingham population.
From Wikipedia:

[Boston] = density of 12,200 persons/sq mile

[Birmingham] = The population density was 1,619.7 people per square mile

Note that Birmingham is less dense than Lexington:

[Lexington] = The population density was 1,851.0 people per square mile

Note that in Alabama you will need a car.

I lived in Boston for a few years. Huntsville is home. AMA about it.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,790,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr78512 View Post
High crime and I would be the demographic minority as the city is 75% or so percent African American. Not that's a bad thing however it's not what I want. I am not really a city person tbh.
Lol, there's plenty parts of the Greater Birmingham area where you won't be the minority and the blacks won't reach high enough numbers to scare you and that aren't dense at all. Gardendale, Clay, Wilsonville, Odenville, Argo come to mind, but there are plenty more.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Lol, there's plenty parts of the Greater Birmingham area where you won't be the minority and the blacks won't reach high enough numbers to scare you and that aren't dense at all. Gardendale, Clay, Wilsonville, Odenville, Argo come to mind, but there are plenty more.
Hm, I am much more interested in Huntsville personally..

Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,790,250 times
Quote:
Huntsville is a nice place. You'll just need to avoid the areas around the north and near Oakwood and A&M. South Parkway should suit you just fine.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Huntsville is a nice place. You'll just need to avoid the areas around the north and near Oakwood and A&M. South Parkway should suit you just fine.
A question, is it more single family homes or are there apartment buildings/complexes in the nicer areas? It's just me and I don't wanna spend more than around $600 on just a 1 bedroom

Anything I should expect adjustment wise?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 PM

3,508 posts, read 769,280 times
Quote:
then go a bit north to merridainville or perhaps hazel green .. I`m in that area and would not go to Birmingham if my life depended on it ...

Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
then go a bit north to merridainville or perhaps hazel green .. I`m in that area and would not go to Birmingham if my life depended on it ...
Haha, why is that? It seems like B'ham is the Detroit of Alabama. Crime ridden city with nice suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama