Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,416 times

Advertisements

I have lived here for several years after having lived all over much of the US, it's really not horrible. Don't get me wrong, when we get stationed elsewhere, I won't be very sad to leave, but it's what you make of it. I have lived on the East side near Eastchase, it's the more expensive area (for the most part) and has many attractive neighborhoods, as long as you don't mind cookie cutter homes. I have also lived in midtown (Hillwood West) and I LOVED that subdivision. There are some truly beautiful homes there and you can live in either a smaller garden home, a large townhome, or a large home that is not cookie cutter. It is not an inexpensive area, but not insanely priced either. You can easily live there for around a $1000 plus per month. My husband (who is black, I am white...info for those who were concerned on interracial couples) and I live in Old Cloverdale now. We have a renovated home built in the 1920's and we love it. This area can have some homes that rent for around $700, generally an unrenovated home to homes that cost upwards of 800,000 plus if purchasing. You can spend anywhere from a few hundred in Montgomery to over $4000.00 a month if you want. There are some scary areas and they are scattered throughout, but what city doesn't have that? Overall we have had some run ins with racial issues, but it has been minimal, and again, you can get that anywhere. The downtown area is being recharged with new businesses and nightlife, so you can have a little fun here or find a good meal. We are military and this city has a large military presence, the base itself however is located right in the middle of an area that looks as though it was once a war zone. Ok, sorry this was so long!!! But that is my take on Montgomery, have a great one! Oh, P.S., just say no to public schools if possible, most have failing grades, or go ahead and move to Prattville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 AM

13 posts, read 43,907 times
I grew up in Montgomery and have zero desire to ever move back, but most of my family is still there. I grew up in Dalraida, which is actually still a good and reasonably priced neighborhood. If you can't afford east Montgomery or Old Cloverdale (and there ARE some sketchy parts of Cloverdale), or just don't want to move to Prattville, I personally would try to find a home to rent in Dalraida. They are mostly smaller mid-century homes, but they aren't expensive at all and the neighborhood isn't bad.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM

252 posts, read 282,069 times
Montgomery seems like the only state capital that you rarely hear anything about. Seems like other state capitals are usually one of the the top three cities in the state.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
Montgomery seems like the only state capital that you rarely hear anything about. Seems like other state capitals are usually one of the the top three cities in the state.
The majority of state capitals are the largest cities in the state as well. Montgomery is only the 4th largest metro area in the state and is overshadowed by Birmingham, which is the state's dominant city.

I don't see why everybody hates on it so much though. I have never lived there, but there are a lot of nice middle-class neighborhoods and has a lot of history. The crime also isn't as bad as Birmingham and Mobile.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM

252 posts, read 282,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The majority of state capitals are the largest cities in the state as well. Montgomery is only the 4th largest metro area in the state and is overshadowed by Birmingham, which is the state's dominant city.

I don't see why everybody hates on it so much though. I have never lived there, but there are a lot of nice middle-class neighborhoods and has a lot of history. The crime also isn't as bad as Birmingham and Mobile.
well, i stayed there in a hotel last night on the way back from Houston and it seemed nice enough, real green area.

it's also only bigger city in Bama that is right on a big river.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
Revisit your geography. Harrisburg, Pa. , Albany, N.Y. ,Sacramento, Ca. Tallahassee, Fla.(just examples of many)

The vast majority of state houses are in modest cities by comparison. I have noticed through the years that your take on this is an assumption that is almost universally made in error. It may be an influence of what one finds in the states around them.

raj

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:

Actually the crime in Montgomery is quite robust for its size. However the real issue is that Montgomery does not have the vast and random commercial centers that tend to drive crime. Not reporting helps Montgomery also.

The worst aspect is that compared to the cities mentioned , one has a hard time knowing which is the bad part of town. That is very easy to know and avoid in Birmingham and many cities. A little harder in Mobile, but Mobile is definitely more laid back that Montgomery, just not full of the mean spirit.

I wish Montgomery could be a more sophisticated environment and clean itself of the problems, but the population represents a people that are not likely to do that soon.

raj

Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
I think Montgomery never got a chance to grow. The growth of Columbus on the east Alabama side isolated Montgomery.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
I think Montgomery never got a chance to grow. The growth of Columbus on the east Alabama side isolated Montgomery.
Huh? Montgomery has been growing steadily for 170 years, and is larger than Columbus. Montgomery is at the junction of two major interstates. Columbus only has a spur running into it. Columbus is significantly more isolated than Montgomery.

Anyway, you don't want a state capital to grow too much, that is a sign of too much government expansion.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Quote:
Huh? Montgomery has been growing steadily for 170 years, and is larger than Columbus. Montgomery is at the junction of two major interstates. Columbus only has a spur running into it. Columbus is significantly more isolated than Montgomery.

Anyway, you don't want a state capital to grow too much, that is a sign of too much government expansion.
Columbus City pop-198,000
Columbus Metro pop-310,000
Columbus CSA-491,000

Montgomery City pop-205,000
Montgomery Metro pop-377,000
Montgomery doesn't have a CSA.

I'm just saying Columbus have more impact on East Alabama than Montgomery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama