Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
sleepless - perhaps social conservatism has caused you grief and shame, but most people in Alabama are proud of being conservative.

jakabedy - Huntsville and Baldwin County (the Gulf Coast) are more conservative than Birmingham.
Nope. The Gulf Coast has a huge gay population, and has had an influx of people from other states and countries. Also, Huntsville is full of transplanted people. If you are conservative, good for you, but there are many people in Alabama who are not too.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Georgianbelle - Baldwin County and Huntsville are more conservative as evidenced by their elected officials - almost all of whom are conservative Republicans. Another measure of conservatism is found in the results of the Sep 18th referendum to raid the trust fund - Baldwin and Madison Counties voted no.

Every state-wide office in Alabama is held by a Republican.

BTW there exist gay, influxed, and transplanted conservatives.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Huntsville will not be a nice place to live if all those government dollars ever dry up. The city is booming and experiencing great growth right now, due mostly in part to the large influx of government money it receives, should things sour out for that money, the city will revert and shrink quickly.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 AM

149 posts, read 182,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This post is hard to believe. I can buy beer on Sunday in the parts of Alabama I frequently visit, and I don't know anyone who gets racist emails. Find somewhere else to work and report them, if you are getting such emails. It is illegal and will be prosecuted EVEN in Alabama.

I fully intend to find a new place to work. Outside of this state.

As far as dry counties:

I'm going to take wild guess and say the only places you visit in Alabama are Baldwin, Mobile, Jefferson, and maybe Lee/Tuscaloosa counties.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I often felt sorry for those who moved here from other places, because sometimes we can be cliquish to a fault. The good news is not everyone is like this, and hopefully we can become more open to those who want to call this state home.

I probably will never understand this rampant social conservatism here. If anything it has cause this state more grief, shame, etc.
Okay this last statement I take issue with. I know Alabama has it's faults but there are other problem areas in this country that were not brought down by rampant social conservatism or the good ole southern baptist network. It didn't cause Detroit to fall nor California to have bankrupt cities or be almost bankrupt as a state so why can you point the finger at the core values of so many people as the sole reason the state is behind yet other forms of government and political and social slants have their failures too, some arguably more epic then Alabama.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-28-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
I fully intend to find a new place to work. Outside of this state.

As far as dry counties:

I'm going to take wild guess and say the only places you visit in Alabama are Baldwin, Mobile, Jefferson, and maybe Lee/Tuscaloosa counties.
I wish you much luck in your quest to find a new job, and the ability to drink on Sunday. We can drink on Sunday in Decatur, but back when we were dry, we just had to plan ahead and take care of business on Saturday.
I think having to do that made us smarter!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Folks.. Please get back on topic. this is not the place to discuss national politics.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM

396 posts, read 664,908 times
We moved to the Huntsville area 9 years ago and I love it more than any place I've lived--despite the fact that so many in Alabama Seem to excel in being last or nearly last on things that seem to really matter (such as education, health, etc.). The saying "thank God for Mississippi," is no longer funny to me.

I have found the Huntsville area is a tremendous place to live. There are many here who care about education, health, quality of life, etc. The most intelligent people I have met in my 65 years live here and have an impact here.

Furthermore I don't know where you will find more natural beauty. I even love the summers here!

Last edited by Keeper; 03-01-2013 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: removed troll post

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

26 posts, read 46,615 times
I have lived in northwestern Pennsylvania my entire life (48 years). I would like to relocate either to Huntsville Alabama or Denver Colorado. Anyone have any input on which u think is a good place to spend the rest of my life? I don't mind heat or cold either one but I do like small town living and hubby loves his target shooting and hunting. Potential job interviews in both places coming up but since this is such a major life change I wouldn't mind some advice.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
I have lived in Huntsville for almost 8 years. I am moving for a job to Columbus, Oh.

One thing that always concerned me is that there is no industry here except for the government and supporting it. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is a thing that comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama