U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,929 times

Advertisements

My husband took a job at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa so we will be moving there this summer and will live there for at least the next two years. We currently live in Minnesota and I am really excited to move south, as I have lots of relatives in the southern US and love visiting them.

I've done a fair bit of research on Tuscaloosa and Northport but would love to hear from people who live there or visit there-what are some great things to do and places to go?

Also, we are looking for a house or apartment to rent, and would anyone recommend good neighborhoods?

Any great food, music, outdoors stuff? We're both really active, love music, arts, theater, and hiking and kayaking. We're both vegetarians and I was wondering if anyone can recommend good places to eat. I've found some places that look great, despite the rep the south has for not having anything to offer for vegetarians.

Oh, and how's the tornado recovery? A few years back all I heard was that it was "devastated," but now no one is really mentioning it. Has it all been rebuilt, or do you still feel the effects?

Thanks for any and all info!

Last edited by k8tthegr8t; 03-31-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:01 PM

309 posts, read 660,947 times
Have a kids? You'll probably want to be out in the burbs like Taylorville or north-of-Northport. If you not, I'd recommend something in the area bounded east by McFarland Blvd, north by 15th St, and south by Hargrove Rd. Further east you have Woodland Hill and Woodland Forrest.

Lots of restaurants in Tuscaloosa. "Going out" a lot of times entails eating out. Most places have at least something to cater to vegetarians, but you have to vary careful and ask servers if grains or vegetables are cooked with meat products.

A good bit of art and activities. You need to sign for the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa emails and University of Alabama activities calendar alerts to get the scoop on what's going on.

Tornado recovery mostly going well. Alberta and Holt have places that still look like the day after the tornado. In town, you'll have some properties that are still damaged while the owners tussle with insurance.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,929 times
Default help with neighborhoods

Thanks for the advice! We don't have kids, but we're in our 30s and not partyers, so we're looking for a quiet neighborhood. So we're now looking at 2 places, a house in Forest Lake neighborhood, or an apartment on Main in Northport. Which would you recommend for two people who like to bike and walk and like quiet neighborhoods? Is Main in Northport really loud? I would love to be close to the historic Northport area, but at the same time we'll both be working at the U, so maybe we should be closer to it on that side. How is biking in this town? We tend to bike everywhere rather than drive so if we lived in Northport we'd be biking on Main everyday to get to the U.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM

If you want to bike, I'd look at the house in Forest Lake. You can bike by the back road to Midtown for shopping and dining. You can bike to UA. Forest Lake was one of the place badly hit by the tornado, but as part of the recovery, the city is building a greenway through the neighboorhood.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,628 times
Oh Lord! Couldn't y'all just stay in Minnesota???

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Now, now. Behave yourself, FP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama