Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Tuscaloosa and are trying to decide where to live.

We're in our 30s and not partyers, so we're looking for a quiet neighborhood. So we're now looking at 2 places, a house in Forest Lake neighborhood, or an apartment on Main in Northport. Which would you recommend for two people who like to bike and walk and like quiet neighborhoods?

I saw that Forest Lake was hit hard by the tornado, how does it look now?

Is Main in Northport really loud? I would love to be close to the historic Northport area, but at the same time we'll both be working at the U, so maybe we should be closer to it on that side. How is biking in this town? We tend to bike everywhere rather than drive so if we lived in Northport we'd be biking on Main everyday to get to the U.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM

297 posts, read 512,612 times
Biking to UA from Northport every day? That could be awful. Keep in mind the weather. It can be heavy downpours at any time. This year there was a bad snow storm that came thru and roads were treacherous. The campus did not cancel classes till after lunch. Kids that lived in Northport may not have been able to get home. I know one had an afternoon class and was worried they would not cancel classes as she reported the bridges were iced. Then in the spring and summer (including August and September) could be HOT.

While it is not terribly far miles wise, weather wise, not so much for biking every day.

As for tornado recovery. The city of Tuscaloosa put a moratorium on building and did an entire study for development. That has now been approved and rebuilding has been under way for several months.

My D will be at UA starting this summer.

ROLL TIDE

Last edited by gymrat; 04-03-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: