Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times

Advertisements

As a newcomer to the state, I have realized I know nothing about state politics here in Alabama. I'm not talking about the simple statement of this being a red state, or any of that.

I was curious if anyone wants to chime in with the cliff notes of recent political figures, issues, hot topics on the ballot, etc, that have occurred in the state in the last, say, 10 years or so (go back further if its relevant.) Local issues would be of interest to me as well, not just Madison County but anything of significance in other counties.

For example, I know our governor is Bob Riley, but I have no idea what term he's serving, how popular he is in the state, where he's from, what his pet issues are, etc! I don't even know how different state government is here. Do we even have voter propositions on our ballot?

I'm not a politics junkie but I am a voter, and I would like to get up to speed on the politics of the state of which I am now a resident!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times

It might be time to start another forum!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Now, now. No debates, at least not from me. I promise. I am not looking to stir the pot, more just about what the hot Alabama issues are, how the state government is run, who the key players are, etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
The one thing that is different about AL and other states is the Lt gov is elected separately from the gov. Right now we have a republican gov and a dem Lt gov.

South AL has its own political machine, they are pretty powerful group of good olde boys although that is what I have heard not what I know to be the truth. I did go to school or knew several of the ones who held office in the past..

This could open a can of worms and I am sure you will get more than you ever wanted to know about AL politics.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times
Hooo Boy Jenn!

I am a "board veteran"...I moderate/admin an international golf board that gets 3 million visitors per year...I am active here and on two others. Politics is usually a topic that can be very very sensitive and quite frankly - a lightning rod....

Having said that, I will give you an overview and see if I don't get banned...

First - I am not registered with either party and am a confirmed Independent voter....If you are a Democrat - you are far from alone. Get yourself an "Alabama Democrat" bumper sticker which is a red square with a blue circle in the middle....meaning 'blue voter in red state".

Alabama (over the long term) has been known for two things as it relates to government:

1) It has sent a series of very honorable and successful Congressmen and Senators to Washington. Until 15-20 years ago, these were almost all Democrats...but they are almost all republican now.

Alabama has seven seats in Congress - two are Democrats and 5 are Republicans. There is one black Democrat who is a Harvard graduate and has performed beautifully in trying to help his district which includes some of the worst poverty in the nation. His name is Artur Davis and is very popular. Many Republican rund raisers supported him because he replaced a horrible predecessor. Even though he is an outspoken Democrat, the remainder of Alabama's delegation works very cooperatively with him on the needs in his district. The five Republicans are very loyal to the party...

Bud Cramer - Democrat - is your US Congressman.

Our US Senators are Richard Shelby and Jeff Sessions - both Republicans. Richard Shelby switched from the Democratic to Republican party years ago and is one of the most respected and powerful Senators in the Senate. He brings home billions for Alabama for a variety of projects including Transportation, Education and other needs. He has helped UAB and UAH in appropriations for research facilities at these universities. Richard Shelby is a lawyer from Tuscaloosa. Jeff Sessions was previously the State Attorney General and is our Junior Senator. He is from Mobile. Both are well respected by their peers and have important positions on Committees.

(Huntsville is a 'new/old town' in Alabama in that until 1955 it was a little cotton town - literally. While it was founded before Alabama became a state, it was nothing but an agricultural town until.....

When WWII ended - Huntsville started to grow and become a city on its own when the German Rocket scientists were brought to the Redstone Arsenal to start America's space program - NASA....as a result, Huntsville is much newer and has less traditional power in Alabama politics than Birmingham, Montgomery or Mobile....)

2) State government in Montgomery both in the Legislature and Governor's office has been lacking. George Wallace was an utter disaster...(hope I don't get banned...yikes!!)

Governor Riley ran as a progressive Republican and did a very good job of cleaning up state government. He proposed a sweeping tax reform issue early in his first term that would have lessened taxes on the poor and increased them on the middle and upper classes and this was soundly defeated. Yes - you read that right - a Republican governor who wanted to raise taxes on the middle and upper classes!

Despite the defeat of Governor Riley's tax reform package, he was easily re-elected because he did a good job of running a clean and efficient state government and did a good job of industrial recruitment (see below). He is very popular....

You now live in the state that has the lowest overall rate of taxation in the U.S. If you are middle to upper class in Alabama, more of your gross income is disposable than in any other state. If however you are poor, it is not a good state to live in from a taxation standpoint because of high sales taxes (and incredibly low property taxes) which shift more of the burden on the poor....I live in Alabama's wealthiest community and voters in our district (who would have had considerably higher taxes, voted FOR Governor Riley's proposition, but it still failed roundly....Alabamians HATE TAXES.

Alabama has a poorly performing legislature that is dominated by (taking off the gloves here) white Democrats who refuse to advance progressive issues.
Interestingly, in the legislature - there is an inverse juxtaposition...Republicans want to reform taxation and constitution and Democrats don't.

As an observer of Alabama politics for a long time - I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel in Montgomery.....I can see a time in the next few years, when the (bad) Democrats will finally be out of control and serious reform issues can be advanced. There are quite a few good Demos who want to move the state forward.

All while this is going on....Alabama performs best (frankly) at recruiting new industry to the state. In this regard, Alabama is a powerhouse. This is the one area where the Legislature works very effectively with the Governor and private businesses to bring in new jobs. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the U.S. and have a great reputation for tax breaks, worker training and gameplan execution in terms of getting new jobs....Alabama has gone from 0 to 50,000 automotive jobs in 15 years....Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai have all located here and have praised state government for supporting their needs....and there's more coming soon...

Last edited by Bravo35223; 10-29-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,575 times
California also elects it's Lt. Gov separately. Right now CA also has a split, which seems to be the norm in CA.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
Hooo Boy Jenn!
If however you are poor, it is not a good state to live in from a taxation standpoint because of high sales taxes (and incredibly low property taxes) which shift more of the burden on the poor....I live in Alabama's wealthiest community and voters in our district (who would have had considerably higher taxes, voted FOR Governor Riley's proposition, but it still failed roundly....Alabamians HATE TAXES.
I also find it very strange that AL charges sales tax on both medicine and food, not even a reduced rate like some states.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
I also find it very strange that AL charges sales tax on both medicine and food, not even a reduced rate like some states.
Yes Nicole, this is an example of what we need to change...the poor do not need to pay sales tax on food and medicine...the sad thing about Governor Riley's tax reform proposal is that Democratic opponents were able to convince poor voters that it was going to hurt them rather than help...in boxes where low income voters reported in - they voted Against it....

Once again, it is a strange paradox, a Republican governor who wants to shift the tax burden away from the poor and onto the middle and upper classes...and bc he can't do anything with the legislature - he spends the vast majority of his time trying to bring new jobs to the state and has succeeded quite well at that....

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM

I like what California does, a tax on some food but not on essential foods. I don't recall whether it was Regan or Wilson who instituted the snack tax. Taxes on chips and cookies, but not on meat, veggies, bread, milk, etc.

BTW Bravo, thank you much for the excellent post!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I like what California does, a tax on some food but not on essential foods. I don't recall whether it was Regan or Wilson who instituted the snack tax. Taxes on chips and cookies, but not on meat, veggies, bread, milk, etc.

BTW Bravo, thank you much for the excellent post!
Yes I like this too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama