U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

My husband got a promotion today and is expected in Tuscaloosa within the month. We are moving from the suburbs of Savannah, Ga. Researching online today has me overwhelmed. We would like to rent for a year and then purchase a home. We have a few questions.

Where is a good place to live? In town or the suburbs?

Anybody recommend a good public school?

Are the kids required to wear a uniform to school?

Will my 4 year old be able to attend prek or is there a lottery?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining Roll Tide Nation!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM

5,953 posts, read 17,066,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunis View Post
My husband got a promotion today and is expected in Tuscaloosa within the month. We are moving from the suburbs of Savannah, Ga. Researching online today has me overwhelmed. We would like to rent for a year and then purchase a home. We have a few questions.

I'm not in Tuscaloosa but am somewhat familiar with the city. I'll try to help.

Northport (excellent schools) & south toward Moundville. In town is tied to schools. Many prefer to attend private schools.

Uniform - I dont' think there is a uniform requirement in any of the schools, including private.

Pre-k - There is probably a lottery - I know there is one in Decatur because there is not enough state money to go around.

Welcome to Alabama!!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM

54 posts, read 180,251 times
I don't know about the schools but went to college and lived there are while afterwards up until recently. I agree Northport might be one of the better areas to check out if you don't find the need to drive to Birmingham regularly. It is an easier shot to the downtown area. It will be a slight adjustment from Savannah but shouldn't be too bad. Schools might be quite as good as your used to. The new park along blackwarrior river is a pretty nice place to run/jog and runs from the University to downtown. My wife and I used to go eat at Depalmas, great calozones and home made lasagna when on special, and then drive down to the waterfront and go for a stroll. It was really nice. You can get a decent amount of land in the country and build. I would consider renting in Northport. There really isn't a suburbia epicenter in Tuscaloosa. The only parts of town I wouldn't want to live in are the south west above lowes and on the east side of town. The south side tends to get jammed up traffic wise especially on gameday with everybody trying to get back to the interstate. 5th street dinner in northport was a good place to eat country food at a cheap price. Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunis View Post

good for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama