Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 41,218 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a former resident who moves back to Alabama would be re-issued the same Driver's License number they had for 22 years, or be issued a different number?

As I have been contemplating moving back when I retire next year, I wondered about this. Not sure where I will move, but I am leaning toward somewhere in North Alabama....

Thank you in advance...

Serena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I don't know for sure but I suspect you will get a new DL number. They are computer generated and I imagine once you do not renew after a specific time they just cancel the number

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,706 times
I found this on the website link below. I'll take a wild guess and say that the text in red means only if you have been out of state for less than three years and still have your Alabama DL. If you have been issued a DL from another state, my guess would be you will have to take the required test and will most likely be issued a different DL #. Best thing to do would be to call the Alabama Dept of Public Safety in Montgomery and ask> Alabama Department of Public Safety

License Department - Drivers License

OUT-OF-STATE PROCEDURE - MOVING TO ALABAMA
If you have a valid Out-of-State license, you will take an eye test only. You need your Out-of-State license, Social Security Card and Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport. The fee is $5 cash for your eye exam and $23.50 for your 4-year license. If you wish to add the vessel operator's license, there is an additional $5 cash fee.

Out-of-State license applicants must apply at the Drivers License Test Center at 1115 Church Street between the hours of 8am to 4:30pm.

Additional information is available at the following web site: http://dps.alabama.gov

If a previous Alabama resident has been out-of-state less than 3 years, you can surrender your license and be re-issued your previous number at the testing offices.
Fee:
$5, (cash only) Take Eye Exam
$5, (cash only) For Boat Exam
$23.50 (cash) for 4-year license
$18.50 (cash) for duplicate license

Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 AM

179 posts, read 406,003 times
I moved out of state for four years before retiring, along with the wife and son. Lived in Shelby county at the time. When I retired and moved back to AL, we bought a house just outside Foley in Baldwin county. Went to the license office (all three of us), and when we got our licences, they were all the same number we had previously had. So I'm guessing the three year rule mentioned above is if there are so many issued, they need to reuse numbers. Otherwise, your old number will be given back to you.

Ron
Foley, AL

Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena1221 View Post
Does anyone know if a former resident who moves back to Alabama would be re-issued the same Driver's License number they had for 22 years, or be issued a different number?

As I have been contemplating moving back when I retire next year, I wondered about this. Not sure where I will move, but I am leaning toward somewhere in North Alabama....

Thank you in advance...

Serena
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are. I had an AL license, moved to FL for several years (I was out of AL for 8 years), and when I came back I got the same DL number I was issued at age 16. They said that is how they always do it....which I was glad because I still remembered my number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: