U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

4,349 posts, read 7,524,668 times

Advertisements

Mobile was ranked the most gay friendly city in Alabama. I`m shocked because I would have given that accolade to Birmingham with Mobile coming at a close second.Very interesting I must say , I do know that Mobile has big gay parade and clubs and etc etc etc. I think the stats are skewed ,I find it hard to believe that even Huntsville scored higher than Birmingham.

Mobile ranked state's most gay-friendly city, but Alabama, Mississippi below national average | AL.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,148,450 times
Must be that laid-back coastal influence. Les bons temps rouler!

I saw that too. I don't know enough about the other cities to know if its accurate. I'm guessing its weighted strongly to whats down in writing (laws an regulations), vs individual's attitudes.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 PM

4,349 posts, read 7,524,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Must be that laid-back coastal influence. Les bons temps rouler!

I saw that too. I don't know enough about the other cities to know if its accurate. I'm guessing its weighted strongly to whats down in writing (laws an regulations), vs individual's attitudes.
Hmmmm just maybe.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,273 times
Still when you look at the actual scores (MEI 2013: See Your City’s Score | Resources | Human Rights Campaign), Mobile scored 21, which is pretty pathetic. Unfortunately this state will always be near the bottom of the heap when it comes to progressive thinking. Only Mississippi makes us look better.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 21,282 times
Hving lived for 30 years in the SF Bay area, I would be the last one to argue that any place in Alabama is model of tolerance for those in the gay community. OTOH, this report is disingenuous, since it only examines municipal laws, not how those affected by those laws are actually treated, or how well those laws are enforced. In addition, given our infamous 1901 constitution, the largest (by page count) of any country's constitution, let alone a state, our cities, in most cases, do not have home rule, and changes to laws have to be submitted to the state legislature for approval. Anyone who has been present in the state house when that three ring circus is in session knows what the chances are for any law which even sniffs of approval for anything related to gay issues. A lot of what municipalities do for gay employees is done "off the books", so our score will always be dismal.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

2,580 posts, read 1,956,001 times
As a LGBT person of color, I know this is a LIE. Mobile is a nice place, but you would have to be either deeply closetedly, private person, or comfortably partnered (and living an extremely private and financially comfortable life) to find Mobile a more "gay friendlier" place than Birmingham. Birmingham and UAB in particular have created an atmosphere I have never find elsewhere in Alabama. The only place I have ever seen openly gay couples holding hands with no ridicule in the entire state was on the Southside of Birmingham in and around the UAB campus.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 PM

211 posts, read 306,773 times
The fact of the matter is that as a state we didn't perform very well on this test. Is it a test we want to perform well at? There were some things on the scorecard that I don't agree with. For one I don't support the "T" in "LGBT" the same way, but that is a different debate. I'm also not sure why our police departments need an LGBT liason or what good it would do, as the scorecard suggests.

Given the chance, one thing I would change about Alabama is the Anti-Obscenity law. It is an embarrassment to our state that we have such a foolish law. There are still shops statewide in operation making a mockery of what the law was supposed to do in the first place. "The War against Good Vibrations" was rooted in homophobia because hard line Christian Conservatives like Dan Ireland thought a rubber phallus held the power to do more societal harm than a rifle.

"There are moral ways and immoral ways to use a firearm ... There is no moral way to use one of these devices." - Dan Ireland

I'm in favor of giving people the ability to use both responsibility and trust that the good people of Alabama won't go out on a rubber flogging spree or a shooting rampage.

"Laws are made to protect the public...sometimes you have to protect the public against themselves." - Dan Ireland

In the meantime I just have my fingers crossed that we aren't losing out on the bright minds of people who follow a non-hetero lifestyle. All I care about is a better Alabama.

Last edited by curzon_dax; 01-04-2014 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM

534 posts, read 819,331 times
Curious, but what is your objection to a transgendered person?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM

211 posts, read 306,773 times
Christinerica,

There is some medical precedence that what is currently known as Gender Identity Disorder(1)*, as defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, is linked to low concentrations of neurotrophins. Specifically, a group of GID individuals were compared to a control group of non-GID individuals and were found to have lower levels of significance similar to people who have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(2). I'm not saying that all GID people are that way because of trauma, but that it suggests that there is a psychological treatment that could and should be pursued before surgery is attempted.

I'm ok with people making whatever decisions they like with regards to their bodies, but doctors are oath-bound to the health of their patients. I am also not prepared to say that gender reassignment surgery is not necessary for some people - just that the actual number of people it would benefit is smaller than those who seek it out. I fear that as we begin to hear more about transgender rights, responsible doctors will be labeled as bigots if they hesitate in referring a patient for gender reassignment surgery. On the flipside, unscrupulous doctors will eagerly seek out patients for reassignment surgery without a thought to the actual mental health of their patients.

So essentially, I am afraid that by packaging transgender rights along with lesbian, gay, and bisexual rights we will not have the conversation and debate that is necessary to make sure that people are getting the treatment that they need.

Sources:
(1) http://www.aclu.org/files/images/ass...e155_30369.pdf
(2) Serum concentrations of brain-derived neurot... [J Psychiatr Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

*Note: Gender Identity Disorder has been replaced with "Gender Dysphoria Disorder" in the DSM V, but since the study I am referencing used the DSM IV I have also referred to it as GID in this post.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:17 PM

534 posts, read 819,331 times
Curzon,
Thanks for your response and your views.
I think I have a unique window into the "transgendered" experience...I am one.

I under went the required counseling, spent a year in in what is termed a RLT (living a year as a woman, finding employment and trying to find out if I could survive as a woman or if this was just a fantasy run amok). In that time, i worked 4 jobs to be able to pay for my eventual surgery, medications. After my required Real life Test and getting my letter from my therapist, I flew to Thailand and had my surgery.

Upon returning to the US, I eventually got married to my husband to whom I have been married to for 8 years now. Together we have survived his cancer, chemo, and recovery. He is a Vietnam Veteran retired from the army and I am a retired US coast guard person with 20 years of honorable service with many awards and decorations. I was an aircrew member that flew Search and Rescue missions.

Are there people who fall prey to a less than ethical doctor? Certainly! Ask those that seek miracle cures for cancer. Should we to diminish the woman who seeks to match her desired bodily image with a breast augmentation procedure? Are those that choose to improve their life through a chosen medical procedure misguided?

Due to the life changing nature of Gender Reassignment, there should be safeguards and there are. I can attest that the system works...should I be denied what others expect as due course? No.

While it may cause some to gnash their teeth and don sackcloth and ashes, Transgendered people are real, we are everywhere, even in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama