Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM

24 posts, read 91,085 times

Advertisements

My friend is trying to talk my husband out of moving to AL, but we are pretty set on moving there. He mentioned that a few schools down south participate in corporal punishment... is this true? if so are any of the elementary schools in Hartselle? that is where we want to move, but I am not fond of the idea of some on putting their hands on my kids.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,264 times
It's legal in Alabama and most jurisdictions permit it even if it isn't typically used. It IS permitted and used occasionally in Hartselle City Schools (37 incidents in 2006), although I don't know if it is used in elementary school. Morgan County Schools allow it at all grade levels, but I don't know how frequently it's used.

You should contact the local schools and discuss their policies directly with them and if you can establish parental preferences.
Hartselle City Schools ::

Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Is this true = true. Don't know exactly about Hartselle. You can usually opt out. Teachers have rules about how and why to use paddling - and it is usually applied by principals with witnesses.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM

182 posts, read 900,897 times
You have GOT to be kidding me?!! Paddling in schools still? Wow.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
It works. Meet:

Quote:
Besides being known as Riverton Middle School's Teacher of the Year, Bill Byrd is renowned for his innovative approach to teaching math. As a 15-year Navy lieutenant, he knows first hand how vitally important team work is.
Mrs. Bush's Remarks at Troops to Teachers Event at Wright Patterson Air Force Base

Plus, State praise (can't cut and paste):

ALSDE - State Board of Education (http://www.alsde.edu/html/boe_resolutions2.asp?id=747 - broken link)

Mr. Byrd paddles, when necessary, and is a strict disciplinarian. There is a story about him entering his class on the first day of school, carrying a paddle. He tells students he doesn't put up with misbehavior, then slaps his desk with the paddle so hard the paddle breaks. Students pay attention and behave.

Don't tell anybody, but he saws the paddle to the breaking point before class...

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me?!! Paddling in schools still? Wow.
No kidding. I grew up in a school in the South with corporal punishment and I saw how often the wrong kid went home with bloody legs. If someone laid hands on my kid, you can be sure I'd lay hands on them, I don't care what junior college they got their teaching certificate from.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

24 posts, read 91,085 times
I do believe in spanking my kids, but only to an extent.... using an object other then my hand in my eyes is considered assulting them with a weapon! Is there any way to let the schools know that my child is off limits? Because if someone hit my kid, they'd be getting hit back. I only spank one time, anything more then that is just anger being used towards them.. after getting hit one time... they completely get the picture, and it is pointless to continue hitting them, unless you doing it to actually beat them. I don't want anyone touching my child in a disciplineary way, that is my job as their mother, not some teacher who probabbly has been frusterated all day from other students as well.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
From what I understand, the parent has to sign a form if they are going to permit corporal punishment. It's not like the teachers are going to start hitting the kids or anything.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,193 times
This is going to sound contradictory but honestly this doesn't bother me even though I don't believe in spanking my own kids, as long as its used with restrictions and in moderation. There are just SO many parents out there who do NOT do their job of disciplining their kids, and they are out of control at school in places like California where the teachers have their hands tied in terms of discipline.

I believe for the most part if you are disciplining your kids at home you don't need to be concerned with this. They aren't using this on kids for being 5 minutes late or for talking in class once or twice. There are kids out there in schools who are completely obnoxious, hurtful, and disruptive - who are not disciplined at home and when the only punishment is suspension it's like an invitation to misbehave in rotten ways that disrupt education for the rest of the students.

I would opt my kids out of corporal punishment but you can bet that if I had a child that was outwardly disrupting class, bullying others, vandalizing school property, etc, and they weren't responding to MY discipline methods, I'd withdraw my protection and tell my child they no longer better get in line or deal with the consequences from the staff.

I like to think I know how to discipline without resorting to corporal punishment, but some parents just do not have those tools or can't for whatever emotional or logistical reason it might be.

I used to recoil at the idea of this as well but there really are some icky kids out there.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Unfortunately, Jenn, there's is no standard on how it's applied or how hard the kid gets spanked. It can range from everything to hurt feelings on up to a trip for stitches, for minor infractions to utter juvenile delinquency. The people that make the decisions are the school staff, and you may have a moderate person one year and a sadistic tyrant the next. Or one which has different standards for one sex, race, religion, etc. than another.

Even when it crosses the line from a red butt and embarrassment to being black and blue or bloody, the schools are legally protected from parents who protest. (In fact, more protected than parents are from spanking their children.) If a police officer beat kids until they were black and blue, there'd be riots. If they were hitting prisoners with a fat wooden paddle it would be cruel and unusual punishment. But it's okay for 5 year olds?

I think our teachers shouldn't be in charge of disciplining kids, the parents should be. If you don't have what it takes to be a parent, you should take precautions to avoid having children, not make it someone else's problem. When the parents fail (or refuse to try) the remedy that protects teachers and other students from dangerous kids is kicking the kids out of public schools.

What's next, the government changing diapers for the parents because some parents find it unpleasant? As long as you don't expect parents to be parents and accountable for their children, hordes of them won't be. Some of the urban areas of So Cal are a prime example, as you mentioned.

To answer your question, Alaska, it depends on the jurisdiction and sometimes the individual school on whether you can opt-out or opt-in. You have to ask the schools -- I don't think anyone here has kids in these schools and can tell you first hand about particular schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama