U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,127,882 times

Advertisements

So how do you Alabamans view the Florida panhandle, particularly the western part (Pensacola, Ft. Walton, Destin, etc.). I ask because here in Pensacola, we joke about living in "LA"....that is, Lower Alabama. Culturally speaking, it's much more a mix of Alabama and Gulf Coast than it is Florida.

Do you consider it to be its own thing, an extension of Alabama as many here in the panhandle view it, or something else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM

20,821 posts, read 62,313,881 times
Truthfully, I never thought Pensacola was anything other than a not so great small hot damp city around an old military base. Ft. Walton seemed "smarter" and would be my first pick. Marianna seemed OK, but recent revelations and unmarked graves are making me rethink that. Milton seemed just stuck there. Decent, but lost. Panama Beach area was tourist town, which is different than areas not involved in that industry. I supervised theatres throughout the area. Don't feel too bad, look at it this way... at least you weren't in Bainbridge GA.

You have to get to Gainesville before you begin to get the feel of Florida. The area north of that and south of AL & GA could be a distinct state on its own. I'm not giving LA a total pass, but it also is comprised of a few different areas. SW AL grew around timber, SE around peanuts and cattle and cotton, Mobile is an area unto itself, closer to NO than anything else.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 AM

5,950 posts, read 17,052,565 times
My brother's looking forward to his move to Pensacola. He's always wanted to live near the water. I have a old friend who's been there since graduating from college in North Alabama, and he loves it. I'd say it's looked on as favorable...at least from north Alabama.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,750,494 times
I have spent my live traveling to the coast and sometimes I am on the Alabama coast, others Fla.

The Gulf of Mexico doesn't pay attention and neither do I, and I suspect quite a large percentage of Alabamans. I don't pay a lot of attention to which state I am in. I am known to be in Fairhope and drive over to Destin for dinner.
I think a good way to look at it is that it is similar to a large city surrounded by a lot of suburbs. One doesn't really pay attention to where the lines are drawn . They are truly artificial in their impact on our lives for the most part.

I think the people are basically the same and the most important thing of all is that we have this beautiful place that has not been ruined like the east coast of Fla., yet.

raj

Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 AM

18,265 posts, read 37,410,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Culturally speaking, it's much more a mix of Alabama and Gulf Coast than it is Florida.
At one time, the whole state of Florida was more like Alabama and Georgia. It has really only been in the last 50-60 years that the southern half of Florida has changed and created its own identity.

I live in Atmore, only about a mile from the state line, so it's the same distance for me no matter if I drive to Pensacola, Mobile, or Daphne (usually shop in P'cola due to no tax on groceries). I'd say the whole gulf coast probably seems a bit different to someone in north Alabama, so maybe extreme southern AL and GA along with north FL has its own thing going on.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 AM

28,900 posts, read 50,406,117 times
I like Pensacola. It's a nice town.

Overall, the Panhandle is very much like Alabama in a host of ways. Now that it has been 'discovered' by people outside the region, it's really annoying to have to deal with people from places such as Iowa or New York.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM

5,577 posts, read 3,944,758 times
I would say that the Western panhandle is a culture of its own, firmly grounded in a combination of beach culture and military base culture.

The only part of Florida that could be confused with Alabama or Georgia in my opinion is the eastern Panhandle and the Northeastern part of Florida, roughly north of State Road 40.

Pensacola is Southern at its core, but it is also very full of northern transplants, military families, and tourists which makes it much different from South Alabama.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,677,657 times
We lived in Destin/Fort Walton for years and my husband is a Fort Walton native. I don't think its anything like AL (we live in North AL now) as far as the people go.
Fort Walton was heavy military and I only knew 2-3 people who were actually from the area, most were transplants there due to the air force bases and supporting industry.

Smaller inland towns that lie along the state line....Milton, Pace, Crestview, Baker, etc....now those pretty much are just lower AL.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,127,882 times
Interesting comments so far! I'd agree that it's not as simple as Alabama/not Alabama. Obviously some places have their own distinct feel within the panhandle. Southern AL, Southern GA, and North/Panhandle Florida really should be its own state, IMO. Also agree with the poster who mentioned Gainesville...that's where it starts to feel more like "real" Florida.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,073,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I like Pensacola. It's a nice town.

Overall, the Panhandle is very much like Alabama in a host of ways. Now that it has been 'discovered' by people outside the region, it's really annoying to have to deal with people from places such as Iowa or New York.
Are you putting Iowa and New York in the same category?

They couldn't be any further from each other in just about every category other than the fact that they are both north of Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama