Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post
Let me start off by saying that I'm only second generation American born, so my roots may not lie as deep as yours... [Last bit of Post Removed since the Quote button is acting up...]
First off, I appreciate your maturity at responding to my post, as I know a lot would not have done the same.

Anyways, yes a cultural shift seems likely. Personally, I don't think Southern culture, as much as cheap places to live are the main contributing factors to re-locating.

About the Compromise, what I actually meant is that Henry Clay delayed a war between the states for many many years. It was shortly after his death that the war finally did occur. Further delay of said war would have leveled the playing field a bit.

Also, had the South been victorious in the 1860's, I believe both the North and South would have fought side by side against common enemies once WWI and WWII came around.

The great cause was in fact to no longer be ignored, and to show that majority rule was not always effective.

The racial thing was not directed at anyone, I just figured someone would eventually bring up some kind of racial indifference remark about Southern symbols. And perhaps blacks and white do not embrace it "in the same way" however there is a unique sense of comradeship when it comes to being Southerners.

Another tidbit, freedmen in the South fought along side their white counterparts because they knew if the South lost, they would be just as devastated. Of course, that would never be taught or even mentioned in schools these days...Realize that racism, for the most part, came after the war, during reconstruction. The South is show in such negative light in films and media, leading to the bad impressions to outsiders. Once again nothing we can do about that...right?

And finally, North Carolina was the "First in Flight" however Ohio was the "Birthplace of Aviation" ...no reason to argue that, we all know the first flight was in NC but most of the development that followed took place in Ohio....Case Closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Frankie117 - you're right, some estimated 50,000 Southern blacks fought for the Confederacy (about the same number of Southern blacks fought for the Union) and were honored at Confederate Memorial Days, attended Confederate Veteran's Meetings, etc.

Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest said of his black troops "these boys stayed with me ... and better Confederates did not live".

Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,065 times
Thumbs up Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Frankie117 - you're right, some estimated 50,000 Southern blacks fought for the Confederacy (about the same number of Southern blacks fought for the Union) and were honored at Confederate Memorial Days, attended Confederate Veteran's Meetings, etc.

Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest said of his black troops "these boys stayed with me ... and better Confederates did not live".
Let me take this opportunity to wish all of my friends in "the Heart of Dixie", and all those who would like to be there, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year...and the wish that this Heart of Dixie thread, that is running so well, makes it into 2008 with yet more intelligent comments

Old 12-21-2007, 12:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The south is trying to overcome its image of being a big trailer park full of pickups. That is why we are getting rid of things like the Confederate battle flag and "dixie". Here in Atlanta they finally got rid of that stuff.

Being proud of your state, its role in the Confederate war, and "Dixie" overall does not make an image of a trailer park full of pickups. You can take all that out of your goods and services but you'll never take it out of the people who use it in a negative way. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Dixie, to me, means Old South, genteel folk, good manners, and beautiful homes, flora & fauna.

It's sad to see an entire region attempt to erase their past.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Being proud of your state, its role in the Confederate war, and "Dixie" overall does not make an image of a trailer park full of pickups. You can take all that out of your goods and services but you'll never take it out of the people who use it in a negative way. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Dixie, to me, means Old South, genteel folk, good manners, and beautiful homes, flora & fauna.

It's sad to see an entire region attempt to erase their past.
While those stereotypes may be common...there are reasons why they exist. Trailers are very affordable, and being in parks creates a "community" that is friendly and cooperative. We Southerners like to be together and to be sociable with our neighbors. We have pickups because we do a lot more work, such as construction or farming projects that would require more pickup trucks in the South as opposed to Northern counterparts.

It is sad to see the region try to erase the past when so many of us embrace it. As long as a Confederate flag flies somewhere, the pride of Dixie cannot be shaken.

Thank You, Mom2Feebs, I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,107 times
Memories of visiting Aunt Bernice and Uncle Vance in Atlanta, staying at the Imperial hotel on Peachtree St. When I tried to show that hotel to my wife in 1983 it was an abandoned derelict, waiting to be torn down. Aunt Bernice fell off a pier, probably drunk, drowned. Uncle Vance just kind of vanished. Visited my great aunt Emma and great Uncle Zeb one summer, NC piedmont. Warm day, they had a little frame house down a dirt road. No other house in sight. Never cut forest all around their house, I mean the biggest damned trees I EVER saw. Uncle Zeb was out plowing behind a mule. They had a well with the coldest, best, water I ever drank. Real well, with a wooden bucket, stone sides, and shingled roof. Had "pig meat," biscuits, pole beans, mashed potatoes, and pie for lunch, all wonderful. The "bathroom?" Well Aunt Ema was embarassed to tell us, but you went out behind the barn (and be careful where you step). I went out to explore after lunch. Caught and released four or five big rat snakes in the corn crib. Watched a big old snapping turtle in a tiny creek barely deep enough to cover his shell. Aunt Emma and Uncle Zeb lived into their 90's, Zeb farmed till the day he died. Their daughter finally sold some of the trees which had started to suffer from old age. I forget how many thousands they got for one ancient oak near the house

Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,896 times
As a neighbor to, former resident of and still part time citizen of the State of Alabama, I have always been fond of the song by some boys from Jacksonville, "Sweet Home Alabama."

Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,810 times
Exclamation "Heart of Dixie" is associated with Old South traditions and legacies of the Confederacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Definately....get rid of "Heart of Dixie"!!
I never understood the Stars thing either or the awful New Hamphsire "live Free or die".
Alabama has really improved its image over the last decade and I think it deserves a nicer license plate!!
According to the Wikipedia entry for Dixie, "In popular mindset today, it (Dixie) is most often associated with those parts of the Southern United States where Old South traditions and legacies of the Confederacy live most strongly, and are most widely celebrated and remembered."

Therefore, for those who want Alabama to adopt a more progressive image, attract more businesses, raise the standard of living, and to encourage more educated, sophisticated people from other parts of the USA to move to Alabama, it is better to disassociate Alabama from Old South traditions and legacies of the Confederacy.

"Live Free or Die" is the state motto (http://www.nh.gov/nhinfo/emblem.html - broken link) of New Hampshire.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,065 times
I find nothing wrong with the Olde South traditions which is why I started this thread in the first place.

I also find no problem with Vermont's motto of "Live Free Or Die".

Such mottos bring about State Pride and should not be misconstrued into something sinister or deeper.

"Heart of Dixie" is something I first saw back in the early 60s when I was an Officer stationed at Fort Rucker...and it stuck...even though I was then from Massachusetts.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I like the 'Stars fell on Alabama' plates, but then I am old enough to remember the song.

Maybe 'Sweet home AL' would be a good plate for the younger generation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama