Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy67 View Post
I am affraid that is what is going to happen to Celebrate Alabama. We people in Opelika are going to be stuck with an eyesore, just like our broken down mills.
Well, unfortunately the broken down mills are just a common sight in most Southern communities. The collapse of the cotton economy left us with all sorts of eyesores.

What is the point of destroying more land, when people can just go to Tigertown instead??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 17,634 times
celebrate alabama has helped the valley area and fairfax to bring in new buisness even though it is 20 miles. maybe the beautiful lakes and fishing holes will stay beautiful and not get trashy.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,998 times
I don't think this is going to be a flop at all. The difference between the outlet mall and this new venture is what was put into the outlet mall. Let's be honest. The stores were stores that were already on it's last leg, like Paper Factory, who was bought out by Party City. Rue 21 just expanded and moved onto TigerTown.

The location was chosen due to it's proximity to the Kia plant, which everyone is trying to get on at. Kia is going to provide a lot of jobs and bring in a lot more people to the area. Why put it further south or up in North Alabama when people can just drive to Atlanta or Montgomery. I look forward to seeing what buisnesses will go in the shopping complex. I'm hoping for a Build A Bear for the kids, because there is so little for just children to do in this area. It will provide more jobs, and I doubt that 50 restaurants will open up off that exit, especially since there is a Nationwide chain an exit down (Cracker Barrel).

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,994 times
Thumbs down Kids playing at Build-A-Bear for something to do ??????

" I look forward to seeing what buisnesses will go in the shopping complex. I'm hoping for a Build A Bear for the kids, because there is so little for just children to do in this area. "

If that's all this area can produce in the way of giving kids something to do, this place is more screwed up than I thought! You actually think it would be better for children in this area to frequent a Build-A-Bear emporium rather than the community raise support for more parks that aren't just limited to dogs and the poo they leave behind?

That's pretty sad when it's more exciting to see our kids "play" at our local Build-A-Bear, than naturally playing outdoors.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 25,028 times
Instead of building a super mall, they should work on revitalizing downtown Opelika, and the run down strip malls on peperell parkway. and the one near the outlet malls on columbus parkway.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins977 View Post
ather than the community raise support for more parks that aren't just limited to dogs and the poo they leave behind?

That's pretty sad when it's more exciting to see our kids "play" at our local Build-A-Bear, than naturally playing outdoors.
Totally agree. In Huntsville (not sure about other places in Alabama) there doesn't seem to be enough neighborhood (withing walking distance) parks. Granted, it is quite hot in summer and many days in winter it is too chilly/wet, but not too extreme on most days or all parts of the day.

Everyone likes their low taxes though.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Little kids play, wherever they are. The only times they have nothing to do is when they are kept cooped up indoors all day, every day.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 40,069 times
Default Clebrate Alabama in Opelika

Some people suggest that opelika shouldn't get the Clebrate Alabama resort because it's not an Atlanta, Birmingham, etc. It has nothing to do with the size of the city. It has to do with LOCATION. Opelika is located between Atlanta (3 mil + people, 90 miles away) and Montgomery (250,000+ people 58 miles away) and is only 110 miles from Birmingham (1 mil people). Columbus, Ga is just 25 miles south (200,000 + people). Soooo, there are approximately 5-6 million people within 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Opelika within a 100 - 110 mile radius. That's a lot of people within a radius like that. The area on I-85 in Opelika is "prime" land and will have easy access. The Celebrate Alabama development will not be built all at once. It will be developed over a period of years. That's GROWTH and PROGRESS for not only Opelika, but the immediate area of East Ala and West Ga. The Kia plant (West Pt, Ga) only 18 miles away will do the same and so will the influx of Army personnel at Ft Benning (Columbus, Ga) only 25 miles away.

The Kia plant, Celebrate Alabama and Ft Benning expansion will bring in approximately 20 - 25,000 personnel (jobs) to this area known as the Chattahoochee Valley (Columbus, Ga, West Pt, Ga, and Opelika, Al area).

Some people in Opelika don't even understand what a development like this will do for Opelika and the area. They talk about other projects that didn't come about or didn't do well. Hey, that happens all over the country. Celebrate Alabama is a very unique economic development in itself and Opelika is very fortunate to have been selected. It will create over 5,000 jobs when finished. How many cities in the country would love to have something like this???? Quite a few!!

Congrats to the City of Opelika. I also think there is some jealousy involved because "your" city wasn't selected. Opelika is going to GROW and will continue to attract new industries and businesses.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpelikaMan View Post
I also think there is some jealousy involved because "your" city wasn't selected.

I just did a Google Maps Street View of Opelika.
I checked Great Schools on the schools there. Only one school over a 6 out of 10. No schools above a 7.

I'm not jealous.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,913 times
Smile Response to Charles

You obviously don't even understand the gravity of this development and what it will do for Opelika and the area. As far as Opelika's schools, they are better than you rate them. I know about the schools there. They win national awards all the time and are recognized for it. You failed to mention those facts. Wonder why? I know you're trying to give Opelika a bad rap. Opelika was selected because of location and what Opelika has to offer. If you do think the schools aren't that good, then what have you done to make them better; other than bad mouthing them?

Opelika is primed for growth and progress along with the Valley,Al and Columbus, Ga areas. I guess you don't understand that and you obviously won't appreciate it. Celebrate Alabama will bring additional businesses and industries to Opelika along with additional revenues. This is a win-win situation for Opelika and the entire Chattahoochee area. You also sound like some of the people who complain about other retail developments in Opelika that didn't make it or haven't grown. Hey!!!!! This happens all over the country. Get out and look around the country and you'll see what I mean.

Opelika has a very aggressive and progressive Mayor, City Council and Economic Development team and they are MOVING FORWARD with or without you. Get on board or get out of the way. You go OPELIKA!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama