Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,802 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to alabama and I am wondering what Anniston is really like. Is it good, bad, or just right. Also I am wanting information from Castleberry as well. I am used to small towns and I have lived in big cities as well. I am just trying to get a feel for the community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:18 AM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Much of Anniston is blighted with high crime. Neighboring Oxford or Jacksonville are better areas.

Castleberry is very small and rural. You would be going to Brewton for almost everything, and Brewton isn't much to speak of itself.

"Good, bad, or just right" is extremely subjective and depends on what you're looking for. What kind of a place are you looking for exactly?

Old 12-19-2022, 08:53 PM

2,955 posts, read 3,500,077 times
Do you want to work at Honda? Then Lincoln Al may be an option.
Also look at Huntsville Toyota/Mazda.
Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile, Auburn, Athens are the places to be

Old 12-20-2022, 08:14 PM

9 posts, read 11,940 times
If you also like NASCAR, Talladega is super close by to Anniston. And, Gadsden is just up from Anniston on US-431 North -- about a 30 minute drive.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,802 times
I am just looking for a quaint town with a school for my girls. I am from a small town so I don't mind. I work from home so commute isn't a problem.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:36 AM

10,729 posts, read 13,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondadad View Post
I am just looking for a quaint town with a school for my girls. I am from a small town so I don't mind. I work from home so commute isn't a problem.
Orange Beach and Gulf Shores have good schools, as well. Having lived in cities before, you may consider them "small." Being a long-time Atlantan, now a coastal Alabama resident, we find both to be small, friendly and nice. Something to consider.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:05 PM

12,582 posts, read 9,091,027 times
Quote:
Perhaps Cullman, population about 18,000. It's halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham on I-65.

My niece recently moved to the town of Arab (population 8,500) and she had the same location criteria as you. She loves the schools there. It's a few miles south of Huntsville and is a bit more isolated than Cullman.

There are numerous small towns in Alabama, but those two have excellent school systems. Some of the others may have as well.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:51 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Quote:
Then your first priority should be finding a good school district; unless you're looking for some type of private school.

Maybe you'll find this helpful:

Best School Districts in Alabama

Most of the highest rated are suburban districts, but there are some of what you may consider "quaint towns" that are listed near the top such as: Florence, Muscle Shoals, Hartselle, Cullman, Oneonta, Jacksonville, Oxford, Arab, Enterprise, Athens, Brewton, Winfield, and Jasper.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:34 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,968,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Then your first priority should be finding a good school district; unless you're looking for some type of private school.

Maybe you'll find this helpful:

Best School Districts in Alabama

Most of the highest rated are suburban districts, but there are some of what you may consider "quaint towns" that are listed near the top such as: Florence, Muscle Shoals, Hartselle, Cullman, Oneonta, Jacksonville, Oxford, Arab, Enterprise, Athens, Brewton, Winfield, and Jasper.
That link you include uses factors such as “diversity” in the equation to rank school districts.
It defines diversity as “based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.” How is this measured with a fine grade (A vs A- for example)? Website doesn’t say the type of math to factor in diversity as an overall score. These are public schools with primarily assigned school boundaries. Meaning Alabama doesn’t have school choice to switch schools if your school has a low diversity grade.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:27 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,327,698 times
Quote:
To get a good education in Anniston, you'll need to go to private school. Oxford has much better schools.
Many public school systems in Alabama DO have very good school systems (Madison, Madison County, suburbs of Birmingham, Hartselle, other areas). Be sure you check the school system before choosing a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama