U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
 
4 posts, read 56,994 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a woman from Canada; I am planning to move on August to tuscaloosa to be a professor at the U of A.

Could you please tell me the best neighborhoods (areas, MLS-s) to live in?

I do not mind living close to downtown or close to the university.

Thank you very much,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 02:33 PM
 
763 posts, read 3,581,971 times
Reputation: 289
First, I would recommend that you contact a local realtor. Tuscaloosa has several good firms.

The Tuscaloosa area has 'two parts': one south of the Black Warrior River which is the City of Tuscaloosa and the other is on the north side, which is the town of Northport.

Northport is essentially a suburb of Tuscaloosa and has many fine neighbourhoods. Much of the faculty and local business executives with Mercedes Benz and JVC of America live in the Northport area.

All the same, starting with a realtor is the only way to go..there are several condo developments on the Tuscaloosa side if you do not want to deal with having a yard to maintain.

The university is recruiting very hard now to bring in a more diverse faculty. I am an alumnus and am very glad of the positive trend in student growth, academic standards and new facilities.

Welcome and please send me a Direct Message if I can be of additional assistance. I am currently assisting a professor from Los Angeles who is actively considering joining the faculty as well.

bravo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Crestwood
136 posts, read 548,847 times
Reputation: 46
There are some beautiful historic homes near campus that might be available. I could refer a few realtors for that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,654 posts, read 6,931,601 times
Reputation: 947
I personally like Northport. But gustygulas makes a great point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
 
247 posts, read 1,033,315 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
First, I would recommend that you contact a local realtor. Tuscaloosa has several good firms.

The Tuscaloosa area has 'two parts': one south of the Black Warrior River which is the City of Tuscaloosa and the other is on the north side, which is the town of Northport.

Northport is essentially a suburb of Tuscaloosa and has many fine neighbourhoods. Much of the faculty and local business executives with Mercedes Benz and JVC of America live in the Northport area.

All the same, starting with a realtor is the only way to go..there are several condo developments on the Tuscaloosa side if you do not want to deal with having a yard to maintain.

The university is recruiting very hard now to bring in a more diverse faculty. I am an alumnus and am very glad of the positive trend in student growth, academic standards and new facilities.

Welcome and please send me a Direct Message if I can be of additional assistance. I am currently assisting a professor from Los Angeles who is actively considering joining the faculty as well.

bravo
Actually much of the area north of the river is in the city limits of Tuscaloosa. Watermelon road is the northern boundry of Tuscaloosa. Almost all of our upper and upper middle class neighborhoods are in this area. Indian Hills, High Forest, Wellington ect..Woodridge is a large middle class neighborhood. The area on Rice Mine Road near the intersection of Rice Mine and New Watermelon road has exploded with growth. Condos, grocery stores, banks, restaurants ect..
There are some old neighborhoods between downtown and the University with some fine old homes. These include Pinehurst and Audubon Place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM
 
384 posts, read 1,464,398 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Actually much of the area north of the river is in the city limits of Tuscaloosa. Watermelon road is the northern boundry of Tuscaloosa. Almost all of our upper and upper middle class neighborhoods are in this area. Indian Hills, High Forest, Wellington ect..Woodridge is a large middle class neighborhood. The area on Rice Mine Road near the intersection of Rice Mine and New Watermelon road has exploded with growth. Condos, grocery stores, banks, restaurants ect..
There are some old neighborhoods between downtown and the University with some fine old homes. These include Pinehurst and Audubon Place.
I agree with that. Basically, any of the "historic districts" near campus are nice (most of which are near Queen City Avenue like Pinehurst and Audubon),
and everything north of the river within Tuscaloosa limits is nice.
There are other good neighborhoods in other parts of town, but those above
are especially popular with faculty. I know a faculty member in the process
of moving from Woodridge right now (just a couple miles from campus), leaving for a job out of state.
The house isn't even on the market yet, but I know he'd be willing to give someone a great deal compared to anything else north of the river, as
he doesn't have a realtor yet and wants it to move as quickly as possible.
If you are interested, I can get you in contact with him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 AM
 
12 posts, read 77,161 times
Reputation: 10
Question High Crime Areas in Tuscaloosa

My research reveals scary crime rates in Tuscaloosa. How do I find out the crime rates in the various residential areas? Are they divided by counties? by zip codes?
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
 
763 posts, read 3,581,971 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostononia View Post
My research reveals scary crime rates in Tuscaloosa. How do I find out the crime rates in the various residential areas? Are they divided by counties? by zip codes?
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The Tuscaloosa area is essentially a 'micro-city' with the same characteristics of large cities: an inner city component which is characterized by high crime and suburbs which are the opposite.

The Tuscaloosa metro has a population of about 150,000 people of which about 85,000 live in the city limits. The metro is divided by the Black Warrior river. Now to get straight to the point. As a generality (and it is a generality), the safest and most upscale part of the metro is across the River, in the town of Northport (20,000) and those parts of the City of Tuscaloosa which are on the other side of the river.

Northport is a very well managed town, with its own mayor, police and fire department. It has some beautiful neighborhoods as well as some that are in the city of Tuscaloosa as well....

Are you just visiting the site or are you considering moving there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
 
12 posts, read 77,161 times
Reputation: 10
Default Crime rates in Tuscaloosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
Are you just visiting the site or are you considering moving there?
i will be looking for apartments shortly. many i am interested in are north of the river. but there are some south of the river on river view. there are a bunch of them here actually . in the south part (SW?) of the city some on cypress creek ave.
also hargrove rd near the university.
mimosa park rd further south.

any information and opinion about the areas these are located in will be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
 
763 posts, read 3,581,971 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostononia View Post
i will be looking for apartments shortly. many i am interested in are north of the river. but there are some south of the river on river view. there are a bunch of them here actually . in the south part (SW?) of the city some on cypress creek ave.
also hargrove rd near the university.
mimosa park rd further south.

any information and opinion about the areas these are located in will be much appreciated.
At this point, I would suggest a good local realtor there in Tuscaloosa to help you. You are looking at areas that can be quite different in nature from each other....Hargrove Road apartments could be 40-50 years old. Those north of the River could be new to fairly new....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top