Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 15,464 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was hoping to get information on what it is like living in Alabama, particularly Birmingham and Mobile. My mom and I are hoping to relocate from Texas and would like some advice from local people. We are looking for a town of 15,000+ people with a good economy and a quiet atmosphere as we hope to have a small farm 10 acres, with horses/goats/rescue animals and not have neighbors have issues with that. We would like the chance of city offerings within 30-40 Minutes but want to be away from hustle/bustle of city having lived in Dallas/Austin. Mom will be 63 and retiring from legal assistant but still wishing to work in an elementary school and I am 34 working in Mental Health counseling, able to transfer with a job. We have visited both Mobile and Birmingham and Birmingham concerns us as much seems mountainous and may or may not have affordable areas with pastures or rolling land for animals. Mobile suburbs or east bay areas seem nice but such small areas seem to swell and traffic be like Texas traffic with all the tourists. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I recommend looking around the Satsuma area. Feels rural yet you can be in Mobile in less than 30 minutes. It also isn't growing all that fast compared to Baldwin County.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Its tough to get a good paying job in Alabama. What field are you in? The people in Alabama are super friendly and outgoing thou. Alabama get a bad rap but it was one my fav places I lived. T Town during Alabama football games is a religious experience the best college football atmosphere in the country. You can look in Tuscaloosa and outside B-ham. Good luck and have a blessed day. -RL

Old 08-22-2014, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 15,464 times
Thank you both for your input. I was leaning towards Mobile-Satsuma area. I am a counselor and mom is a secretary. I currently can transfer to 3 locations near Birmingham or Ocala,FL, Fort Walton beach, FL. Florida seems quite expensive compared to Alabama especially in relation to taxes. Thanks for your advice

Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob View Post
Thank you both for your input. I was leaning towards Mobile-Satsuma area. I am a counselor and mom is a secretary. I currently can transfer to 3 locations near Birmingham or Ocala,FL, Fort Walton beach, FL. Florida seems quite expensive compared to Alabama especially in relation to taxes. Thanks for your advice
Florida doesn't have a state income tax or a tax on groceries, however property taxes and other little hidden fees are usually high. It all tends to balance out in the end, they're going to get the money one way or another.

FYI, Alabama and Mississippi are the only two states left that still fully tax food.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
While I love Mobile the area around Bham is full of farms. Property taxes are low and though there is an income tax it is taken out every pay period. FL has high HOI and property tax and they now also have a tax on cars brought into the state. That ranges from 300.00 and up.

Once your Mother is on SS you can get a break on your state property tax in AL.

Ocala is in the middle of the state of FL where there are lots of farms especially horse farms. You might want to check the price of a home with land. Any place in FL or AL close to the water will have really high HOI.

Personally you might want to check out Huntsville area for a job. Land is reasonable and you can live outside of the city and be in Huntsville in 30 minutes in many places.

Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama