Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 13,212 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My name is Adriel, and I'm from Sao Paulo Brazil.
I always wanted to study and live in the USA, and today I've met with some representatives from University of Alabama at a International Student EXPO here in my city. I researched about the University, and I became very interested. I already know the Alabama football team, I'm a big fan! The College Football is becoming very popular here in Brazil, some games are broadcast by ESPN, and my favorite team is the Crimson Tide!!! But I don't know much about the University. Before I apply, I have some questions about University of Alabama and the city where its located (Tuscaloosa), could you help me please?

1- Is University of Alabama a good school for international students? What's studying there like?
2- Is Tuscaloosa a good city to study and live? Please, tell me a little about living there.

I guess that's all...

Thanks Guys!

Roll Tide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 AM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
I saw your other post in the Louisiana forum. I am really not the person to answer your questions but I can tell you that you would be happier in Tuscaloosa versus Ruston.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 13,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
I saw your other post in the Louisiana forum. I am really not the person to answer your questions but I can tell you that you would be happier in Tuscaloosa versus Ruston.
Yeah, its because I met with many schools here at the EXPO. And I'm asking about all of them in the forum. University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa would be a better choice than Lousiana Tech in Routon then?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I can't speak on the experiences of an international student, but U of A, the cities of Tuscaloosa and Birmingham would provide you with a great education, enough diversity and the ability to do as little or as much as you want outside of school. All on a campus that has...everything.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:38 PM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrielmckenzey View Post
Yeah, its because I met with many schools here at the EXPO. And I'm asking about all of them in the forum. University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa would be a better choice than Lousiana Tech in Routon then?
From a quality of life standpoint, yes.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
What are you majoring in? I think its a little more important, IMHO, about the quality of that program is of a school over student life at the school. Not saying the latter isn't important, but the kind of education one gets in their field will last a lifetime.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:30 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
I just read that the University of Alabama now has more students from outside Alabama than from Alabama. I don't know how many of those are international, but I would bet it's a good bit.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself there. You should know what to expect though. Compared to a megacity like Sao Paulo, Tuscaloosa will feel very small. It will probably feel like a rural area compared to what you are used to.

Part of college is experiencing new and different things, so enjoy!

Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
International Admissions - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama

"international students represent almost 5 percent of our total student population"

Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Although this says 3%:
Most International Students | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News | page 8
You might find other universities of interest on that list

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
I think it's a decent city. They have done a lot of new things on The Strip in Tuscaloosa to make things more walkable for the students. However, it is still a smaller town and will not have many of the things you are accustomed to. The good thing is that Birmingham is not far away... Which will still lack a lot of things of a bigger city but will be a nice hour trip from Tuscaloosa and is the largest city in Alabama. I would definitely choose University of Alabama over La Tech but I wouldn't let the recent success of Alabama football be your motivation. Football programs don't stay on a high for forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: