Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 19,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
First, we would probably educate you a little so you would realize San Francisco and Palo Alto are not in the northern parts of the US. We could move forward from there. lol
perhaps not geographically, but spiritually, they are as north as it gets--- i think most people would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,184 times
I grew up in Miami and my wife is from New Jersey/NYC area. We have lived near downtown Huntsville in the 5 Points district and we now live in the country with land. You will find the aforementioned lack of public transit, although if you have to use it, some locals use the public bus system. I think the hours are limited though. Huntsville, itself is fairly progressive, especially with the newcomers, but you will find a closed society of old Huntsville (what I call wannabes), closed minded, and very judgmental people. The Madison crowd is not as bad, as many of them are transplants affiliated with science and technology. You will find yourself in the middle of the Bible Belt and there will not be a day that goes by you don't see a judgmental bible thumper trying to make you feel uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I am very tolerant of all religions, except down here it's more of an "in your face thing," to which we were not accustomed in Miami or up North. Where you live, it is more of a private thing and remember the old saying of not discussing politics or religion? Well here, that is all you hear. Anytime you meet someone new, who is a native of this area, you will be asked two questions: Where is your church home and what do you do for a living? Overall, most people are nice and it's a fairly safe place if you know to stay out of certain areas at certain times of the day. I find many of the Alabamians to be a high maintenance sort with lots of makeup, hairdos, etc, trying to impress each other. It's very much a keep up with the Jones's society, especially with the old Huntsville and downtown crowd. Don't get me started about education. It pales in comparison to your part of the country. I'm in shock over the dumbed down curriculum here. You may ask why do I live here if I feel this way? Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad place. You just have to learn your place and where to find like-minded people. This forum is a good start. That said, we plan to head toward some salty air with an ocean breeze as retirement age approaches.

****Edit*** and by the way, speaking of "salty air," if you have any issues whatsoever with allergies, pollen, ragweed, etc., this is not the place for you. The air is terrible here. And to answer your question for cities in the south, I like Huntsville, but would also consider Chattanooga (definitely consider), Nashville, Jacksonville (FL), Orlando, and Naples (FL).

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Alabama and NYC are two completely different worlds.. its like living in a two different countries almost.. but people are people we are still all Americans.. if you can deal with people well you can get along with anybody anywhere.. the biggest difference is politics.. NYC is pretty liberal for the most part and Alabama is pretty conservative.. no place is right or wrong its just how it is.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Alabama and NYC are two completely different worlds.. its like living in a two different countries almost.. but people are people we are still all Americans.. if you can deal with people well you can get along with anybody anywhere.. the biggest difference is politics.. NYC is pretty liberal for the most part and Alabama is pretty conservative.. no place is right or wrong its just how it is.
you ever been to new york city?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
you ever been to new york city?
My parents are from Queens and most of my family that moved from Germany and Netherlands settled in Long Island and Manhattan.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post

However, NYC and Boston, yeah. Probably isn't much open land of any decent size anywhere near there.
You might be surprised. There is a lot of farmland and protected forest within an hour or two of NYC.

NYC skyline from Harriman You have to look at the image full size, but the skyline is quite clear.

Orange County, NY is as close as an hour from NYC, and still quite agricultural. Yet it is close enough that it has a lot of commuters to the city.

Orange County farmland

Orange County farmland

I grew up in an even more suburban area just a mile from the Bronx and yet I had woods to play in and was into fishing. Likewise I am sure there are folks from Alabama cities who are afraid to ruin their manicures and actually know what brand of fashionable shoes they are wearing.

Personally, I think one of the hardest things I would confront if I moved to Alabama is the length of summer, and possibly overt displays of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama