Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,577,238 times

Advertisements

I think what is meant is minimally observant, as in not attending worship frequently, identifying with currently observed rigid religious stricutres, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM

408 posts, read 718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I think what is meant is minimally observant, as in not attending worship frequently, identifying with currently observed rigid religious stricutres, etc...
This is exactly what I meant.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,424,174 times
I am Jewish and I am not that religious, being Jewish is more of a cultural thing thats why they say we are an ethnicity and a religion. I just try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated, that is nothing to do with religion.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM

534 posts, read 899,871 times
Are you quite mad? In today's climate of manufactured hate, a person with your belief system should avoid the south. Especially Alabama...though Mississippi would be a worse choice.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,951,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Are you quite mad? In today's climate of manufactured hate, a person with your belief system should avoid the south. Especially Alabama...though Mississippi would be a worse choice.
You realize that Birmingham has a thriving Muslim community here, one that doesn't experience any manufactured hate, right? Now go medicate yourself.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM

408 posts, read 718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You realize that Birmingham has a thriving Muslim community here, one that doesn't experience any manufactured hate, right? Now go medicate yourself.
Well Birmingham is a major city and may not be representative of the state. How are the medium sized and smaller sized cities and towns.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,951,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Well Birmingham is a major city and may not be representative of the state. How are the medium sized and smaller sized cities and towns.
Dunno. I don't live in those places.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,600,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Sjd1 = "you can be a Christian and not be religious"

I agree with southernnaturelover. You can't have it both ways. Being a Christian or Muslim is a state of mind, not an ethnicity or a nationality.
Nowdays, religion is 90% culture and 10% faith. I can see what the OP is talking about.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
I see women in Mobile wearing burkas, and nobody seems to care. For a man I'm not sure how anyone could tell, especially a black man.

To be honest, the OP would likely catch more flack from other black folks. Church is a very big deal down here in the black community, and most of them are Baptists.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,819,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So I'll be moving to Alabama in a few days and I was wondering about the dating situation down there. I come from a muslim background (although I'm not religious) and was wondering how much women in Alabama would be open to dating a muslim? My only experience living in the south was when I lived in Georgia for a few years when I was a kid. And well I didn't really fit in. I know that the south has a pretty bad history when it comes to race relations and interracial relationships. If the women in Alabama aren't willing to date a black man I'm not sure how open they would be to a muslim man.

So what are the chances down there for a muslim man?
I am not an Alabama resident so my opinion is just that, my opinion. However some things are Universal.

You say you are not religious but are you sure of that?
For instance: A few years back a cartoon with a depiction of Mohammad was published in a European newspaper and hundreds of Muslims rioted and even killed people over it. What would your reaction have been?

In Alabama you will be surrounded by many of other religions and even a few Atheists. Your religion or lack of it may not be a big deal to most of the people you encounter however if you are dating and making life time plans with a Woman that does have STRONG religious beliefs you may have a problem. You may not be a devout Muslim but if you should meet and fall in love with a truly DEVOUT Muslim lady, you might be rejected by her just the same as a devout Jewish, Christian or Hindu lady.

My religion is very important to me and I am an old guy who has been around the block a few times.Religion is one of the biggies in a relationship that needs to be addressed very early on in a relationship IMHO.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama