Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM

408 posts, read 722,901 times

Advertisements

So I'll be moving to Alabama in a few days and I was wondering about the dating situation down there. I come from a muslim background (although I'm not religious) and was wondering how much women in Alabama would be open to dating a muslim? My only experience living in the south was when I lived in Georgia for a few years when I was a kid. And well I didn't really fit in. I know that the south has a pretty bad history when it comes to race relations and interracial relationships. If the women in Alabama aren't willing to date a black man I'm not sure how open they would be to a muslim man.

So what are the chances down there for a muslim man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
It's hard to say, though in part it depends on where in Alabama you're moving.

You say you're not religious, and among secular people I suspect it's unlikely to be an issue. With some people being non-Christian of any race will be an issue. Alabama is a very religious state.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
If the women in Alabama aren't willing to date a black man I'm not sure how open they would be to a muslim man.
Interracial dating is more common here then you think. I believe a bigger hurdle would be differences in religion.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
It's hard to say, though in part it depends on where in Alabama you're moving.

You say you're not religious, and among secular people I suspect it's unlikely to be an issue. With some people being non-Christian of any race will be an issue. Alabama is a very religious state.
Well I myself am not religious but I wouldn't mind dating a religious person. Also I have a dark complexion and I wonder if women in Alabama would reject me for that reason.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So I'll be moving to Alabama in a few days and I was wondering about the dating situation down there. I come from a muslim background (although I'm not religious) and was wondering how much women in Alabama would be open to dating a muslim? My only experience living in the south was when I lived in Georgia for a few years when I was a kid. And well I didn't really fit in. I know that the south has a pretty bad history when it comes to race relations and interracial relationships. If the women in Alabama aren't willing to date a black man I'm not sure how open they would be to a muslim man.

So what are the chances down there for a muslim man?
Okay, I admit I might be displaying a little chutzpah by replying to your post since I don't live anywhere near Alabama, but hey, I saw your question, and I'm just going to offer a general suggestion.

I live in a pretty diverse area where there is a pretty strong Muslim presence, however, I've worked with Muslim born people who are not religious as well, marrying out of their faith etc.

My suggestion is to focus on finding groups and hobby's that aren't focused on religion. Find a meet up group that might appeal to your other interests like books, hiking, science etc.

My husband and I are Star Trek nerds for instance, and we know we can always find a fan group somewhere.

I'm sure some locals will pipe in with local suggestions and give you more meaningful answers as pertains to the beautiful state of Alabama.

Cheers!
p.s. for a pinch of credibility, I have to mention we had a downstairs neighbor who was from Alabama and he was awesome! He was always bringing us gumbo or fried tomatoes, and was fixing things for us etc. Southern people have always been known for friendliness, and he sure lived up to that reputation.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Okay, I admit I might be displaying a little chutzpah by replying to your post since I don't live anywhere near Alabama, but hey, I saw your question, and I'm just going to offer a general suggestion.

I live in a pretty diverse area where there is a pretty strong Muslim presence, however, I've worked with Muslim born people who are not religious as well, marrying out of their faith etc.

My suggestion is to focus on finding groups and hobby's that aren't focused on religion. Find a meet up group that might appeal to your other interests like books, hiking, science etc.

My husband and I are Star Trek nerds for instance, and we know we can always find a fan group somewhere.

I'm sure some locals will pipe in with local suggestions and give you more meaningful answers as pertains to the beautiful state of Alabama.

Cheers!
p.s. for a pinch of credibility, I have to mention we had a downstairs neighbor who was from Alabama and he was awesome! He was always bringing us gumbo or fried tomatoes, and was fixing things for us etc. Southern people have always been known for friendliness, and he sure lived up to that reputation.
I have plenty of Muslim friends, both actively religious and non-active. Friends from both of those groups seems to get along just fine. In fact, I can possibly connect you with some of them if it helps your transition.

The ones who aren't religious have it a little easier simply because there isn't a "difference of religion" debate when getting into a reltionship. (I.E. How will we raise our children? Will they be baptized? What kind of wedding ceremony would we have?) These are all things that people with strong religious preferences think of from the beginning.

However, even the actively religious ones have found it pretty easy to get settled in. I have a few muslim friends who are married to Christians (both active and non-active Christians.)

Overall, I think you will be fine but I do recommend moving into a city like Birmingham or Huntsville rather than a smaller town.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:39 AM

52 posts, read 91,632 times
its not an bad issue to move alabama..

Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
How can you be Muslim and non religious at the same time? That would be like me saying I'm Christian and non religious. Can't have it both ways.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How can you be Muslim and non religious at the same time? That would be like me saying I'm Christian and non religious. Can't have it both ways.
Actually you can be a Christian and not be religious. I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:35 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Sjd1 = "you can be a Christian and not be religious"

I agree with southernnaturelover. You can't have it both ways. Being a Christian or Muslim is a state of mind, not an ethnicity or a nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama