Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 AM

40 posts, read 255,557 times

Advertisements

Property is low, low property tax, and somebody told me that AL also give a lot of tax break on income of retired people. But how come I don't hear AL is state for retire people ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
robin-----you bring up a good question. I (a Minnesotan) plan to retire to Alabama as soon as my sale up here goes through. However, I found Alabama by accident.
I bought all the retirement books and subscribed to retirement magazines about 10 years ago and started researching.

I believe the magazines and books cater to developers of "planned retirement communities" and thus Florida and Arizona got most of the attention. Plus the magazines benefitted from the huge ads ($$$$$$$) those developers placed in the magazine.

I think Alabama could attracr more retirees if they had a State program where they designated "retirement cities" or "retirement areas". In Mississippi, there is criteria that cities have to meet to be designated"Retirement Cities" and thus State money is used to promote the ones meeting the criteria. Mississippi considers attracting retirees as an investment.

It was much easier getting info on Mississippi than it was on Alabama (I didn't have a computer back then)

Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Shhhh.. don't tell.

Marmac is right. There aren't any 55+ housing that I know of here. State of AL gives you some break on income tax on retirement but not all retirement is tax free. I have to pay tax on my retirement. To be honest I still save money even with the state income tax since property taxes are so low.
I love living here. People are so nice and polite. I feel safe here which I didn't feel in FL. There is the occasional residential burglary but I do lock my doors which a lot of ppl here don't do, plus I have dogs.
There is a senior center and they have a shuttle who picks ppl up or brings them meals. There are a lot of seniors who still live in their homes at 90 plus.
Church is a big part of ppls lives here and many help out those that need help.

I moved up here from central FL. The weather is colder during the winter than FL. but I like the different seasons. Utilities are less here too. Home prices are a bargin too. I know a couple who retired here from NY. They like it here and have made friends.

What are you looking for in a place to retire? We can tell you our ideas of which area might fit you best.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:09 AM

I probably never would have researched Alabama if not for a strange happening.
I was laid up with a serious shoulder operation years back and asked my wife to get me some reading material. She bought 2 old paperback books by Peter Jennings at a garage sale and I couldn't quit reading.
The covered his "Walk Across America" and he walked the entire state from North to South in the 1970's. Despite his apprehension of walking thru Alabama due to a route change-----------he sure had glowing praise for the people he encountered in Alabama.
I believe the people of Alabama (as a whole) got praised more than any other state.

The "Walk Across America" happened over 30 years ago.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 AM

Ooops--------correction----------Peter JENKINS ( must not have had my coffee this morning

Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,189 times
The state is an excellent place to retire because of a good climate, very low taxes and good access to healthcare (as long as you live somewhat near an urban area).

Among other things, I have spent quite a bit of time in Healthcare and can tell you that (in particular) Huntsville, Birmingham and Mobile have excellent healthcare facilties.

The most popular retirement location in Alabama is in Baldwin County across from Mobile, as it is on the ocean....

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

64 posts, read 234,247 times
Default Is Alabama the best place for retired people

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2226 View Post
Property is low, low property tax, and somebody told me that AL also give a lot of tax break on income of retired people. But how come I don't hear AL is state for retire people ????
Because we don't want too many people to know. LOL Only kidding.

We retired here from Long Island New York and love it here. It seems others from various areas also have found Alabama a great place to live and retire as we have met quite a few retirees in our area, Guntersville. It has four seasons, only the winters are milder and costs are so much less than they were up north, especially on Long Island.

But you are right, there isn't much or any advertising about Alabama. We investigated Alabama only because I met someone who was visiting Long Island and lived in Alabama.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Alabama Advantage is a state organization that facilitates retirement here. They put out an excellent guide and have terrific programs from what I understand.

Retirement in Alabama..Alabama Advantage.--retirement, retiree attraction, relocation, Alabama, Alabama retirement, Alabama Advantage, State of Alabama, regional retirement, best places, retirement advantages, robert trent jones, Alabama regions, reg

Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 21,511 times
My in-laws are leaving Orlando Florida and retiring to NE Alabama but have not decided on a home yet. They have visited the quaint, historic town of Anniston/Oxford but have fallen in love with Noccalula Falls and Little River Canyon and homes near Yellow Creek Falls-some of the group Alabama have a home there.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
NE AL is becoming popular with FL retirees like myself. While it does get cold here it doesn't last that long and you do have 4 seasons.
It is 70 here today, which is unusual but it won't last long before it is back in the 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama