Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times

Advertisements

ive drove thru montgomery a few times, and i saw various billboards bragging about it for the future. do they still have those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 33,883 times
I've never seen a billboard about it, and I've traversed that stretch of interstate probably hundreds of times in the past 5 - 10 years or so. I always wondered what it was, but never really thought about it. MullinsCurve is probably right, that the DoT is probably slowly acquiring land to finish it, assuming they even care anymore. If they are still working on it, the money budgeted for it every year is most likely so small that it will take forever.

But then again, Montgomery is growing eastward, so it may get started back up again.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM

116 posts, read 524,767 times
I road out Vaughan Road this afternoon, well past civilization, and passed more unfinished bypass. The two-lane road widened to four for about half a mile and passed what looked to be an unfinished controlled access interchange, south of where you mentioned on I-85. Mounds of grassed over dirt in the approximate shape of the exit roadbeds and bridge abutements were in evidence.

What surprised me is that I have been that way several times in the past past few years, obviously seeing this but not "noticing them" as to remember they were there.

You can't get anything past me.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 50,959 times
One might hope this project is not a political joke. When the project began back in the late 1980's/early 1990's, the land was "condemned" for the road bed, etc. People in that area were forced out of their family homes and lost farms and land that had been in their families for generations. Now that the deed is done, folks have accepted it and it's time to complete the project. It's a beautiful area and there are many fabulous homes being built out that way. Montgomery has only one way to grow....EAST! Completion of the Outer Loop would free up traffic congestion on I-85 thru Montgomery by routing it around the city. It's time to find the money and give Montgomery a chance to grow in a positive way.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 45,391 times
This Outer Loop is not just for the Montgomery area, this is planned to encircle Prattville, Millbrook and some other cities in this. This will be in the works for year to come. This is the Southern part of the loop and the North portion will be the next to be started. They had the plans on the web at one time.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Went by the embankments South of I-85 the other day. They seem to stop at the old railroad bed not too far from Mt. Meigs. Lots of beautiful scenery out there that is probably going to be paved over with strip malls and subdivisions once that bypass comes through.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Default This may be a little off topic, but...

I see your frustration with this outer loop project as we have these problems going on here in Shreveport also. Anyway, does Alabama have any plans to construct an interstate from Montgomery to Meridian, Ms, so that we can come to Montgomery, Columbus, and the like? Maybe the state could create one out of old US80. Just a curious thought I had. Is 80 four-laned to Montgomery or does it just go to Selma?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM

116 posts, read 524,767 times
It is four-laned between Selma and Montgomery. There used to be a short section somewhere between Demopolis and Selma that was two laned, but I think it was converted several years back, making the road four-laned from Montgomery to the state line, at least, maybe further.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MullinsCurve View Post
It is four-laned between Selma and Montgomery. There used to be a short section somewhere between Demopolis and Selma that was two laned, but I think it was converted several years back, making the road four-laned from Montgomery to the state line, at least, maybe further.
Thanks for the info!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM

128 posts, read 457,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I see your frustration with this outer loop project as we have these problems going on here in Shreveport also. Anyway, does Alabama have any plans to construct an interstate from Montgomery to Meridian, Ms, so that we can come to Montgomery, Columbus, and the like? Maybe the state could create one out of old US80. Just a curious thought I had. Is 80 four-laned to Montgomery or does it just go to Selma?
A year or two ago Gov. Riley proposed extending I-85 from Montgomery to the Miss. state line. I think the main objective was to bring economic developement to the Black Belt portion of the state. I'm not sure what the status of the project is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama