Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 AM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times

Advertisements

Seems like the state/AL supreme court is on a rampage lately...soon AL will be number 1 on every "worst" list in the Union. From equal rights to now, booze - it's just sad

A backwards step: Small towns left in limbo by alcohol sales ruling | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:40 AM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
It amazes me too at the lengths Alabamans go to prove to the world that we can be at or near the bottom of everything but football. People who have always lived in Alabama don't understand the low degree this state is held in the opinions of others. Our politicians are determined to get the word out that the low opinions are deserved.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Got news for you. I thought that back in the 70s before I moved here. And yet, here I am.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:39 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
As the joke goes, the best thing to ever come out of Alabama is I-20. I left in 1974 and would never move back.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Got news for you. I thought that back in the 70s before I moved here. And yet, here I am.
I'm here for the duration as well - just boggles the mind.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
People who have always lived in Alabama don't understand the low degree this state is held in the opinions of others.
Oh yes we do!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
We say grace, and we say mam, if you aint into that we don't give a ...

Why do so many Yankees keep flooding into our state and staying if we are so lowly? To raise us up to their level of enlightenment? No thanks. I'll just cling to my guns and religion.
Flooding ? Alabama has been hovering around 4.8 million people for a long time. Nobody is clamoring to move too Alabama fella. People probably trying to help turn Alabama's image around and not be looked at as a toilet bowl of this country as many outside the state see it......

Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Oh yes we do!
The funny thing is, I don't feel/think that this area is that backwards...for the most part. Most people I meet are primarily fiscally conservative, socially more on the 'liberal' side...or just flat out centrists, which is fine! And it never really come up in conversations either - we are what we are. Only once have I gotten the "oh, you are European, you must believe in socialized medicine"...which I found immensely funny at the time

When I told people we were moving to AL, I got the standard "OMG, YOU in Alabama!!!" I came here hoping to prove them wrong...I/we absolutely love living here and I truly haven't come across the "backwardness" I am seeing for example online, primarily on AL.com/news articles. I have never before been told I am going to hell for not agreeing with someone. I'm just gobsmacked when I see stuff like this, why go backwards? Or, does the powers that be aim for keeping AL from moving forward? My understanding is that Bentley wants to bring in businesses from other states, bring in more jobs, well, with that comes non-Alabamans...and they want to have a glass of wine or three without having to drive 10 miles across county lines to get that.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Seems like the state/AL supreme court is on a rampage lately...soon AL will be number 1 on every "worst" list in the Union. From equal rights to now, booze - it's just sad

A backwards step: Small towns left in limbo by alcohol sales ruling | AL.com
Really Becky? By whose definition of 'worst'?

It is a free country.
Let them be.

The people of this state elected the state SC justice.
They elected their county leaders.
They elected their state leaders.

Let the people decide what is best based on their individual beliefs.
We should not impose what we think is culturally right (based on the latest thinking from Hollywood or the liberal elite universities) on others.

People are free to move wherever they want to go and live. Same goes for you.
At the end of the day, we should respect the right of states to determine their own outcomes.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
There is nothing wrong with following the law, which is what the Alabama Supreme Court is doing. The (stupid) law they are upholding was passed in 1984 (by Democrats) and excluded three counties from going wet. Huntsville's Senator Paul Sanford (Republican) introduced legislation to fix the law (by allowing municipalities in those three counties to be treated like every other municipality in the State). Sanford's legislation should pass quickly and this issue will be resolved.

There are plenty of stupid laws in this (and every) State. The Alabama GOP hasn't been in power long enough to address all of the stupid laws, but they are reviewing the Constitution and Code of Alabama to find and eliminate problematic laws.

I rant about laws like this, that don't apply the same standard (equal protection) to all counties / municipalities / citizens equally.

I'm sure that our friend catfish was using sarcasm when referring to "others" "level of enlightenment". How about if "others" actually bothered to learn about issues before condemning the people of the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama