Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM

152 posts, read 283,391 times

Advertisements

Get a two year degree from any community college with a decent gpa and you will get into any school you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

152 posts, read 283,391 times
Also, my mother is 73 and just went back to school... you're not to old.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Here's another way to go to Alabama: Online and Distance Degree Programs - The University of Alabama

Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 AM

116 posts, read 226,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonely1990 View Post
I'm 25 years old, and didn't go to college, due to some personal issues. Now I'm thinking of pursuing my old dream of graduating and be the first of family with a degree. I'm a huge football fan, and my favorite college no surprise is Alabama. But the academics also are very important, and UA ranks well, and I've always heard it's a great school. I want to study Information Systems.
I'm kinda afraid, because I'm already too old and don't have any "exceptional" qualifications. I was just an average student in high school, 3.0 GPA. I hadn't take the SAT or the ACT, but they told me the tests are not required for "adult students". I don't have many awards and honors. And I've read the acceptance rate is only 56%. So I'm wondering if I have any chance to get there?
Did any of you guys go to UA? It is really that hard to get into? Can you help me with some tips and advices?
I'd appreciate your replies!

Are you in-state? That will make a very big difference.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
Are you in-state? That will make a very big difference.
That, and being a veteran. If you were honorably discharged from the military, and weren't completely awful in HS (anything north of a 2.3 or so) they will almost certainly give you some leeway that a lot of other applicants wouldn't normally get.

Alabama is a fairly strong (but not great) state school that has gotten a lot more attention from out-of-state applicants as of late, particularly from states like Georgia, Texas, and Florida. These kids probably view the U of A as a "safety school" in case they don't get into GT, UT, UF, etc. Many of these kids probably have credentials that put a lot of in-state applicants to shame (remember, they're primarily competing to get into their first school of choice). I have no clue what percentage of applicants come from out of state, but I'm sure it's significant enough to impact the acceptance rate. I don't have any statistics to back me up, but if I had to guess, probably 30% of all Bama applicants come from out of state, and about 30% of those get in (despite getting considerably more money from out-of-staters, their standards are likely tougher than those of in-state students) and about 70% of in-state students get in.

If you do the math (even if it's a guesstimate), that's a grand total of a 58% acceptance rate, right in the neighborhood of the actual acceptance rate.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
What's your 40 time?

Sincerely,

Nick S

Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,002 times
An option worth considering: get into a 2 year school preferably one offering a scholarship, get excellent grades then transfer to UA or any other school. Your diploma will say "University of Alabama" at the top just like everyone else's.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM

144 posts, read 205,031 times
Hahahaha. Why would anyone bother. Go get a degree from Auburn University and you'll make something out of yourself more than the usual Bama grad who ends up flipping burgers for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonely1990 View Post
I'm 25 years old, and didn't go to college, due to some personal issues. Now I'm thinking of pursuing my old dream of graduating and be the first of family with a degree. I'm a huge football fan, and my favorite college no surprise is Alabama. But the academics also are very important, and UA ranks well, and I've always heard it's a great school. I want to study Information Systems.
I'm kinda afraid, because I'm already too old and don't have any "exceptional" qualifications. I was just an average student in high school, 3.0 GPA. I hadn't take the SAT or the ACT, but they told me the tests are not required for "adult students". I don't have many awards and honors. And I've read the acceptance rate is only 56%. So I'm wondering if I have any chance to get there?
Did any of you guys go to UA? It is really that hard to get into? Can you help me with some tips and advices?
I'd appreciate your replies!

Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
Hahahaha. Why would anyone bother. Go get a degree from Auburn University and you'll make something out of yourself more than the usual Bama grad who ends up flipping burgers for a living.
Yeah, there had to be some smarta** remark.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM

144 posts, read 205,031 times
Watch the potty mouth language sir. Yes I realize people cuss because they don't have the vocabulary to articulate their comments, but please keep it clean.

And yes, you just proved my point, so I thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Yeah, there had to be some smarta** remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: