Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 PM

44 posts, read 59,553 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas in the place I should relocate too? Me and my wife have no kids and she's a nurse. And I'm in upper management. Looking for place with good jobs, close to the ocean and things to do for a active lifestyle. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,340,203 times
When all is said and done, Gulf Shores is a small town with limited job market.
Houston will offer WAY more jobs.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times
I agree Gulf shores is really nothing more than a tourist destination.

There is a hospital in Foley and one in Fairhope. Both are small towns and probably finding upper mgt jobs will require you going to Mobile or Pensacola.

I don't think you can really do a comparison between Gulf Shores and Houston. Houston is a huge city and Gulf Shores is small even Foley and Fairhope or all the cities around the eastern shore put together can not compare to Houston.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:27 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,731,849 times
If you happen to land a job in the Gulf Shores area prior to moving, then by all means go for it... but I would not expect to move to Gulf Shores and then bank on finding employment. The sheer size of Houston means the number of jobs available dwarfs anything you can find in the Gulf Shores area. Hell... there are more people in the Houston metro area than the entire state of Alabama.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM

44 posts, read 59,553 times
Thank you guys for the replies.. My only thing with Houston is the very high property tax! I'm open to live in a suburb around Houston. Looked at woodlands, league city, sugar land and a few others. Is there a best? Looking for home with inground pool. In nice subdivision!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,731,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansocean View Post
Thank you guys for the replies.. My only thing with Houston is the very high property tax! I'm open to live in a suburb around Houston. Looked at woodlands, league city, sugar land and a few others. Is there a best? Looking for home with inground pool. In nice subdivision!
Pretty sure all of those are pretty good suburbs that probably each have their most desirable sections. You'll definitely want to ask the Houston forum specifically for that.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,261,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansocean View Post
But they don't have a state income tax. It probably balances out.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
I'm trying to get out of Gulf Shores! I feel trapped here! I want to head north to a nice peaceful rural area!

Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 AM

85 posts, read 121,344 times
This place is great to perform various activities like fishing, sailing, golfing etc. You can easily find a well furnished apartment at street easy.com, Jobs are not that much easy to search but it depends on the requirements, as the place is not a big city.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 PM

496 posts, read 566,127 times
I lived in Mobile for many years and have relatives (whom I visit) in Pensacola and Fairhope. I also lived in the Houston area for 13 years. I am now in Austin.

I liked Houston because there was more to do than just the shore/beach. The water is not as clear in that part of the Gulf but Houston is nice. We lived in Seabrook and it was lovely. Property taxes are high but if you two are both earning income, you will generally pay less than if you had to pay state income tax.

I lived in Cocoa Beach for five years and in Huntington Beach, California, for 3 years. Believe me, you want more than just an ocean to entertain you. My advice: Go to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama