Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:37 PM

62 posts, read 152,003 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we're moving to Alabama from out of state and are trying to get things in order to transfer our kids in school. I've just learned that the signed-by-the-pediatrician shot records for our kids that I picked up yesterday are not going to fly because the school will only take the official Alabama Blue Card. Is this something you need a doctor's office visit to get? Or can you take your existing records to say, the public health office and get them transferred to the blue card? I'd love to hear from anybody who's done this on the easiest way to take care of it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I've always gotten those from my kids' pediatricians.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 AM

Thanks, Tourian. Was the pediatrician able to transfer your out-of-state shot records without having to do a physical along with it? Or did you need an actual office visit to transfer the records? We're all up to date on shots and JUST did sports physicals a couple days ago, and otherwise my kids rarely get sick. Hoping to be able to transfer records without having to schedule a short-order office visit if possible!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
You can go to either the health department or to a pediatrician/doctor. The local "doc in the box" offices around here do them but there is usually a 24-48 hour turnaround, and they charge about $20. They don't typically require an office visit. That is what we did when we moved here since we were not yet established with a pediatrician.

I would recommend going thru a doctor rather than the health department just because of the time you will spend sitting and waiting at the health department.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:01 PM

Thanks, LCTMadison. That's good to know. Hm. Which wait time to choose? (We'll be there about two days before school starts, and while we'd love to take care of as many things beforehand as possible, it looks like nearly all of the school stuff has to wait until we are physically in town.) Good to know there are different options.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
Thanks, LCTMadison. That's good to know. Hm. Which wait time to choose? (We'll be there about two days before school starts, and while we'd love to take care of as many things beforehand as possible, it looks like nearly all of the school stuff has to wait until we are physically in town.) Good to know there are different options.
I'd avoid the health department like the plague () if you have other options. From the times I've had to go there, not only is the wait long, but there are a lot of very unwell looking people. I had to go there for my foster son's WIC. We had a note from the pediatrician that we didn't have to physically take him there to avoid him getting sick.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:

I would get it to a local "doc in the box" the day you arrive. Call first to find out how long the turnaround time is. For us it was 48 hours and I have had several clients that it took at least a day if not two (and I'm not sure why, its just transcribing from one to the other).

Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 PM

What is a "doc in the box"? Like an urgent care, walk-in sort of place?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
What is a "doc in the box"? Like an urgent care, walk-in sort of place?
Yes. The most common ones around here are American Family Care.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Ah, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama