Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 9,421 times

Advertisements

We just found out the plant in TN will be closing and my last day will be Oct 2nd. I will be able to transfer but looking for info on renting pet friendly (lap dog) house\mobile home and also the high school there. I have a son starting his junior year and was wondering if they have welding classes there. Any info on this town is appreciated as I can not find much current info on the web
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Reid State Technical College | P.O. Box 588 | Evergreen, AL | 36401
I suspect they may teach welding. Its about 30 miles South.
I evacuated to Greenville from Mississippi during Hurricane Katrina and it is a great little town. Very friendly. Your first stop should be for a turkey sandwich at BATES House of Turkey. They are great.

Last edited by Southern man; 07-26-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 10:35 AM

My son is still in high school and has taken welding here for the last two years. He planned on also taking the last two years of high school then going to a welding school in FL. Thank you for your response, all the web sites about the town and school are out of date.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:43 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Call the Chamber of Commerce to get helpful numbers.

Most likely your son will need to be registered in one of the private academies. The town is really nice as is nearby Luverne, but the county is really poor and the schools may not be up to the standards you would hope for. This is not absolute, but basing it on the fact that the more prosperous people are most likely not supporting the county school system. (there are many prosperous people and businesses there. Priesters for example)

Old 07-27-2015, 05:13 PM

I would be working for CMC there, not sure I would be able to afford a private school. I just don't understand why the city info is all out of date. Even the high school has menus from 2012. Do the people there really not care? Thank you for your response

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Try the county information. The county is most likely providing ALL services. You do need to find out about the schools for your son's sake. The schools I mentioned are not Ivey League Prep schools. You CAN'T afford to let your son down at this stage of his life. What you do with his secondary education will determine the quality of the rest of his life regardless of what he does as an adult.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM

I understand what you're saying as far as my sons schooling and believe me I know. But if private school can not be afforded, no matter what school it is Ivy league or other it just simply can not be afforded.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynyte View Post
I would be working for CMC there, not sure I would be able to afford a private school. I just don't understand why the city info is all out of date. Even the high school has menus from 2012. Do the people there really not care? Thank you for your response
I went to the Greenville website, and I found most links up-to-date and relevant. The high school lunch menus I saw were for the end of the 2015 school year, as they should have been.

I think you should focus on the first sentence of what you posted "I would be working..." That sounds so much better than "I would be looking for a job..."

You can go into this with a negative "victim" mentality, or you can approach this with a positive attitude. What you get out of this move will be directly proportional to what you put into it.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM

I don't think Ive come across with a victim mentality but I would like to know what the town has to offer before I sell my house and uproot my son. I wouldn't move there if I didn't have a guaranteed job. I will be making a trip and touring the plant/town either with other co workers or on my own. Thank you all for your help

Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynyte View Post
...I don't think Ive come across with a victim mentality...I will be making a trip and touring the plant/town either with other co workers or on my own...
I mean look at it as an opportunity, rather than as being the "victim" of a plant-closing.

Great idea to tour the plant/town.

Good luck to all of you, wherever you decide to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama