Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 AM

508 posts, read 616,765 times

Advertisements

This is very premature since I just turned 25, but I plan to run for governor when I'm 30, if things do not begin to change. Below I will list some, in no particular order, the things that I will run for.

1) Lottery
2) Gambling
3) No sales tax on food
4) A slightly higher minimum wage (around $9.25 an hour).
5) Legalized marijuana
6) Lower business tax to attract more businesses and help ease the wage increase.
7) A POSSIBLE slight increase to property tax.
8) Invest in better transportation options.
9) Better marketing for tourism in Alabama.
10) Education, with focus on inner city and rural schools and students.
11) Expand Medicaid

That's all I'll list for now.

I'll likely run as a Republican/Libertarian.

I'll try to restructure both the Education and Transportation departments, they are beyond corrupt.

These are only the basics though.

If anyone has any concerns or suggestions, please let me know. I'm on this website to gather opinions and ideas from people across the state of Alabama.

Last edited by Justin Scott; 12-02-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
None of it matters without a new constitution.

Our ridiculously obtuse and convoluted constitution makes progress more difficult than arguably anywhere else in the country.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 PM

64 posts, read 164,846 times
I'll vote for you if you take away the weed part. It just isn't the same as it used to be.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Funny, your platform doesn't seem to be very Republican or Libertarian...

Old 12-02-2015, 10:10 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott
This is very premature since I just turned 25, but I plan to run for governor when I'm 30, if things do not begin to change.
Excellent,very g00d!!!!

I do think things are beyond hope but it doesnt hurt to try right??

Old 12-02-2015, 10:17 PM

To fund a lot of that, you are going to need more than just a slight property tax increase.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 PM

508 posts, read 616,765 times
None of my proposals would be forced. If it's not financially feasible, it's going to be removed from the table. However, we need a lottery and to legalize all gambling so that we can have the possible funds for better education and an expansion of Medicaid. That's just an example as to how I'll run this state.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
None of my proposals would be forced. If it's not financially feasible, it's going to be removed from the table. However, we need a lottery and to legalize all gambling so that we can have the possible funds for better education and an expansion of Medicaid. That's just an example as to how I'll run this state.
Gambling and a lottery might cover our current deficit. It definitely would not allow for a large expansion of medicaid or large investment into education without raising property taxes fairly significantly. Not saying that's a bad thing... just that the numbers have to add up.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
If you are running for Governor of Alabama you are almost forced to run as a GOP candidate because Dem never win in AL. A college roommate of mine ran for government in MA and he was a GOP but he switched to Dem. Party just so he could win, because in MA GOP candidates never win. In Alabama you will be almost forced to run as a GOP candidate but good luck.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Justin - to be fair, some of your platform has merit.

1. Lottery - I'm in favor of having a State lottery (although I'm bothered that it is State-run).

2. Gambling - I'm in favor of commercial and Indian gaming, although I'd support Indian-gaming only (for the Poarch Creeks and the MOWA Choctaw) if a fair deal could be negotiated.

3. No sales tax on food. Eliminating taxes? I'm for it. However, I'm not in favor of a quid pro something that raises taxes to balance the tax revenue loss.

4. Raise minimum wage. This is one area where I question your GOP / Libertarian bonafides. State intervention in wages is a bad idea.

5. Legal marijuana. OK with me. Alabama is already one of the largest growers in the country (#8). If legalized, that could add another crop to our agricultural sector - a sector where we do well already.

Legalization would add a tax revenue stream:

Quote:
Colorado collected almost $70 million in marijuana taxes during that time, nearly double the $42 million collected from alcohol taxes.
Colorado Brings in $70 Million in Pot Tax Revenue

6. Lower business taxes. OK although I'd like to eliminate business income tax.

7. Raise property tax. One could argue that there is room to raise property taxes, however I favor a more libertarian approach - eliminate property tax on individual's primary residence (with restrictions to like 40 acres and a mule).

8. Invest in transportation. OK, however paying for it is a concern.

9. Better tourism marketing. IMO not the State's job.

10. Education with focus on inner city and rural schools and students. OK, but how is that different from the current program? Those schools already have additional Federal and State focus. It just doesn't seem to work very well.

11. Expand Medicaid. Let's add some numbers to the discussion.

Quote:
"If we were to accept that (Medicaid expansion and federal dollars) you have to realize it is going to cost the state of Alabama over the next six years $710 million in the General Fund," said Bentley who noted that he had just finished a bruising battle with the Legislature over raising taxes to better help fund the beleaguered General Fund.
"Now folks, I can't even get them to raise a hundred million dollars," the governor told the audience. "So we've got to look at a funding stream if we're going to do it."
Gov. Bentley on expanding Medicaid: "We are looking at that. We have not made a final decision" | AL.com

Massachusetts has a Republican Governor. However Mass is a tough State in which to be a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama