Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:54 PM

11,779 posts, read 5,789,903 times

Advertisements

Everyone here was great a couple of years ago when I asked for suggestions for safe neighborhoods in Birmingham. My son is possibly being transferred to Montgomery to handle the UPS sort center there and I wondered which are the safer areas to look for apts or condos in - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:13 PM

29 posts, read 72,292 times
Default RE: Safe neighborhoods in Montgomery

First of all, I'm going to be nosy and ask where is your son coming from? I am retired from the UPS sort facility and we got a lot of transfers in/out from Nashville and K'ville.
Second-and you are more than happy to research this from my prior posts-when my ex and I first got my house in 2007, the neighborhood we got the house is literally 5 minutes from the sort facility...the cost psf is less than 60$, and the sector of my neighborhood is virtually nil. I literally do not own a key to my house(mental note: To-do in 2016) because I dont lock my door.:-)
My house is 2100 sf and I paid less than 120K for it. I am only the 2nd one to own the house built in 1952.
Edited to add: The UPS facility is an exit of the interstate. When I rented in Old Cloverdale, the apartments were a 10 minute drive. It kind of depends on his hours there; if they are 8-5 M-F, that's 1 thing. But usually the peak volume at UPS Jackson Ferry is between 5 PM until about 2 AM. So the hours are definitely a factor in the(residential) traffic flow.
Also, will he be heading up the whole facility, or just a specific sort?(Twilight, Night Sort, etc.)

Last edited by EastbrookAndy; 12-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 AM

My son right now is district PE up in Birmingham and has an apt in Fultondale. They want to send him down to the Montgomery sort facility for a few years. Guess this is common to rotate the guys - I don't know - but he was told to live north of the facility in Prattville or Milbrook.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
My son right now is district PE up in Birmingham and has an apt in Fultondale. They want to send him down to the Montgomery sort facility for a few years. Guess this is common to rotate the guys - I don't know - but he was told to live north of the facility in Prattville or Milbrook.
Prattville is a very nice little town.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_dust View Post
You couldn't get me to live in monkeytown with a crane, but you do what you have to do I guess. Birmingham is bad enough, monkeytown is far worse. Having said that choose Prattville, but it's all bad in my opinion.
What the heck is monkeytown, Montgomery? I do agree that Montgomery is a dingy town, in general, a few nice ares, yet for the capital, it stinks.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
OTR truckers have been calling Montgomery AL, "monkeytown" for 40 years (on the CB radio)
They used to call Huntsville, "rocketcity", Birmingham "steelcity", Dothan "Circle city" (because it was one of the first cities to build a perimeter highway as a circle around the city as a by-pass)

Tampa is known as "Cigar City" (pronounced SEE-GARH citee) lol
I know about the other names, just have never heard Montgomery called monkeytown before, then I never knew any truck drivers either.

I know how it is pronounced

Ross Clarke Circle, governor "Big Jim" Folsom, I seen it built

Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 AM

Thanks all not only for the info but the trivia!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
OTR truckers have been calling Montgomery AL, "monkeytown" for 40 years (on the CB radio)
They used to call Huntsville, "rocketcity", Birmingham "steelcity", Dothan "Circle city" (because it was one of the first cities to build a perimeter highway as a circle around the city as a by-pass)

Tampa is known as "Cigar City" (pronounced SEE-GARH citee) lol
Interesting. Do you have any idea why why they call Montgomery Monkeytown? Do you usually refer to Montgomery as Monkeytown in your general everyday conversations whenever the city of Montgomery comes up, as you did here in this thread?

I looked Montgomery up iin Wikipedia and seen nothing about Monkeytown. I did see the other cities nicknames that you mentioned.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
This:

"Oak park used to have an island of monkeys. One day the monkey's escaped and ran around the town for a while hence the name."

Why is Montgomery Alabama called monkey town

Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
This:

"Oak park used to have an island of monkeys. One day the monkey's escaped and ran around the town for a while hence the name."

Why is Montgomery Alabama called monkey town
Well that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I rep'd ya.

I looked Monkeytown up in the Urban Dictionary. You're right, Montgomery is known as Monkeytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama