Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:30 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We have been looking for a winter getaway in FL. Prices are disappointingly high.

It was suggested to us that we look in Alabama. We are very open to this idea, but we are unfamiliar with your state - with the exception of large inland cities.

We live in Ohio, and the winters are rough. We are not close to retired. Two kids in college and we still have a mortgage. My husband is the primary bread winner, and has his own business and works tor an insurance adjusting investigation firm out of LA. He could easily transfer his winter work to Alabama and surrounding states (He has Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Michigan now)

We don't need to live "on the beach" but we would like to be able to visit as a day trip. We'd like a "beachy feel" if that makes sense. We are friendly, and a place where others are friendly would be nice.

Any ideas? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 05:06 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Foley sounds like it might be right for you. Really anywhere in Baldwin County, but Foley was the first place that came to mind because that's sort of where the "beachy feel" begins as you are driving south.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Robertsdale has a beachy feel. Very similar to Florida in terms of scenery actually. Just a little jaunt down to Gulf Shores.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:59 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
i would go around the crestview area, its still country but within 30 minutes of the good beaches

Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,145 times
Southern Mobile County including Dauphin Island are certainly beach and semi-tropical, and an easy ferry ride over to Ft. Morgan and miles of beautiful beaches all the way to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

One advantage to this approach is not being affected by tourist traffic wherever you go. This area is south of Bellingrath Gardens and Home which is one of Alabama's most coveted tourist destinations. (especially at Christmas, but all through the year) Noted for azaleas which start their show over the next few weeks

On the eastern side of the bay in Baldwin County living along the US Scenic 98 is a bit of a dream come true with views of Mobile Bay (near the Grand Hotel) and an easy twenty minutes up to Fairhope. This area is less than an hour away from Gulf Shores and a pleasant drive with little traffic.

Last edited by preguntas; 03-13-2016 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 PM

Thank you! Y'all answered pretty quickly! I appreciate it, and I will be researching every suggestion.

Does anyone have any information about Dothan? I know it's a little further than my target distance, but it looks cute and so affordable!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
I would never call Dothan "cute!"

Old 03-13-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I would never call Dothan "cute!"
Well don't leave me hanging! They have a nice web site. Looked pretty.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well don't leave me hanging! They have a nice web site. Looked pretty.

Extremely flat, no bodies of water of consequence, and probably the most isolated city in Alabama. It is on the route to the Florida Panhandle that leaves I-65 in Montgomery and heads southeast through Dothan. (the Fla. Short Route)

If the state and Fed ever finally build an interstate to connect I-10 to Montgomery it would go near Dothan.

It is in an area that has more in common with south Georgia. (the peanut and cotton industries)

I have a friend that is a Neurologist that practiced there for about ten years. The pay for specialized jobs can be quite high there as it is the only way to get those jobs filled. But no one would plan to stay for the most part. My friend is now in Texas. (he saved a fortune working and living there and now is enjoying what that did for him in another place.

I too, would love to know what you have seen on a website that is so appealing. Did you look at Fairhope's website?

Best wishes

Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Look around the Summerdale-Robertsdale area (central Baldwin), those towns sort of run together along 59, right into Foley.

North Baldwin has cheaper real estate, but there's not much to do, Bay Minette is just your typical Southern small town, life revolves around WalMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama