Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,117 times

Advertisements

For a more recent update to this post...

The Waters is beautiful, but if you would mind being able to reach out your open window and touch your neighbor’s house, I would recommend looking elsewhere. However, if like that kind of closeness, prefer a smaller house and yard, or just prefer amenities to house and yard size, I would recommend it. The amenities are no doubt better than ANY neighborhood in town (hence the higher price per sq foot). Hosting its own café, YMCA, general store, chapel, dentist’s office, pool, pond, etc, the neighborhood is basically its own little town. It’s convenient as long as you don’t need more than what’s located in The Waters. Also, if the town of Pike Road follows through with its plans to start a Pike Road school system, all the schools (elem, jr high, and high) will be located in The Waters community. That's another plus for convenience (as long as you don't mind the traffic that this will create). On the down side, The Waters is at least 20 minutes from shopping, dining, and working outside of The Waters. So the convenience of the neighborhood is all about needs. Need nothing more than what’s offered? Convenient. Need more? Inconvenient. It also accommodates most price ranges starting with homes in the $200,000, but keep in mind $190,000 will only get you a one bedroom, loft townhouse and $200,000 will only get you a 1,200 sq foot 2 bed, one bath.

The Waters is an 'elite' neighborhood, and most either love it or hate it. You really have to visit it yourself to decide. I love to visit... like I said, it's beautiful. I just prefer more personal space, so I wouldn’t chose to live there. I also simply can't afford a 1,600 sq ft home there, and I don't want to down size

I opted for a house in Woodland Creek instead. Woodland Creek is another new neighborhood in the Pike Road area just down from the Waters, and I would say it’s the biggest competitor for The Waters. I prefer it to the other neighborhoods in the area including The Waters and would highly recommend it to anyone moving to the area. In my opinion, you get the most ‘bang for your buck’ here in comparison to the other Pike Road neighborhoods. My husband and I paid $209,000 for a 1,600 sq. ft. 3 bedroom 2 bath house with average size rooms, a nice 2 car garage, a large open living area, a large eat-in kitchen, and a large back yard (most yards in our section of the neighborhood are small, but there are a few large lots and we opted for one). The starting price of our home was $190,000 but we added $19,000 of upgrades.

While it’s no mansion, our house is a good size for a 2 adult, 2 child family, and the house is much bigger than the homes that fall in our price range ($215,000 or less) in The Waters (900 sq ft one bedroom loft and 1,200 sq ft two bed, one bath), as is the yard. While we don’t have as many amenities as The Waters, we do have quite a few (gym, pool, club house, playground, dog park, etc) and the HOA fees aren't expensive for what you get. Also, with multiple sections within the Woodland Creek neighborhood, there are houses ranging from $200,000-$400,000, so, like The Waters, there is a wide variety of houses sizes and prices.

To me, the main downside of Woodland Creek is being zoned in Montgomery City. IF Pike road ever creates its own school system, since Montgomery City has its claim on us, we will be stuck with Montgomery City schools and won't be able to benefit from the what we all hope to be ‘better than Montgomery' Pike Road public school system. That means private or magnet school once Woodland Creek children are jr high, high school age. Not good for our property value. Good public schools always add to public appeal and therefore, property value. Hopefully, in the future Woodland Creek will be annexed out of the city and into the town of Pike Road, but only time will tell.

Just across the street from Woodland Creek is Bridle Brook. While it’s not a major competitor with The Waters because they are so different, it is in competition with Woodland Creek and it is another option if you’re house shopping in the Pike Road area. The Bridle Brook homes are older and the neighborhood has fewer amenities than Woodland Creek and The Waters, however, you can get a larger home (1,800-2,000 sq ft.) for cheaper ($170,000-$210,000). We weren't interested in Bridle Brook because it horseshoes around a small, low rent, run down, two street neighborhood, and we didn't want that neighborhood as a backyard neighbor. We do, however, have friends living in Bridle Brook and they love it. They’ve had no problems out of the adjoining neighborhood, and they chose Bridle Brook for the bigger homes, larger lots, and more established neighborhood. Bridle Brook is most definitely the option if you're looking for something more affordable in the town of Pike Road or if you prefer an older, well established neighborhood over a new one.

Lochshire is another neighborhood in the Pike Road area that competes with The Waters and Woodland Creek. The neighborhood is smaller and the homes are very nice, but I wasn't interested because it seemed pricier than Woodland Creek with fewer amenities. All of the houses seem to cost about $215,000-$230,000 and they are all about 1,800-2,000 sq ft, so the price range and home sizes are less accommodating than The Waters and Woodland Creek. Lochshire is nice, but I prefer more than nice when spending that kind of money. However, I could just be missing something.

In our house hunt, we chose only to look in the Pike Road area because we prefer the small town feel. The Pike Road neighborhoods (the neighborhoods east of the actual road Pike Rd) have that, where as to me, the 'east side' neighborhoods (those neighborhoods in between Taylor Road and Pike Road- Wynlakes, Sturbridge, etc) do not. So, I can't say much about the Wynlakes, Deer Creek, and Sturbridge neighborhoods. Since we didn't house shop in those neighborhoods, I hate to offer an un-researched opinion.

I have lived in Montgomery most of my life, and would have to agree with the person that stated people live in east Montgomery to avoid the mess that is in the central and west side of town. If you want to live in town and you're not willing to pay the $$ to live on the East/Pike Rd side of town, you can either have fun with the Montgomery mess or try looking in Prattville. If you wouldn't mind the country, try the Hope Hull/Pintlala, Wetumpka, or Macon County areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,520 times
I'm a personal friend of MR WELCH one of the founders of the WATERS this community was well planed with the family in mind.I can't afford to stay there,but if i could i would move there in a heartbeat.The other neighborhoods don't compare.I live in the other part of town that was mentioned earlier.So I look forward to that community that streets are paved in GOLD.So if you are blessed enough to afford the WATERS take a drive out there and I'm sure this is the place you would be pleased to call home.Mr Welch is a man among men.He did things to help the BLACK KIDS in Montgomery when it wasn't cool.SO TAKE A LOOK

Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,924 times
Our family will be relocating from GA soon. We'd like a house with a few acres and room for our 3 kids to play. We've visited the Millbrook and Wetumpka areas. Any ideas on where we can look for a more rural homestead?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,345 times
Another update on this post .... a couple of months ago, Montgomery and Pike Road settled their dispute over Wal Mart and Home Depot tax revenue ... another outcome of this agreement is that Woodland Creek is now part of Pike Road (no longer Montgomery.) Pike Road is also planning on having their school open in 2015, so Woodland Creek residents will be able to send their kids to school there.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,548 times
While all those neighborhoods mentioned are nice and offer wonderful amenities. We live in Wetumpka (the side closer to the Montgomery City limit-5 miles exactly). We really enjoy living in our community (Stonegate). I know most of my neighbors and it is a nice diverse mix of younger and older families. However, it is extremely family oriented so you will see kids all over the place whenever weather permits. The schools are the only public schools I would consider if my children were attending. My children are 7, 9, 13. We're not from Alabama originally, so there were lifestyle considerations for our family. By far this area offers you more dollar for dollar. For what we save in our mortgage payment, we still don't come close to spending in gas from the commute to and from Montgomery this includes using the toll bridge regulary. In four years we have not used more the $24 per/mo on toll bridge and that's with regularly attending camps, lessons, visiting church, and friends on a regular basis. This area's mortgage prices are far more reasonable considering the current market conditions. I also enjoy the peaceful drive to decompress on the way home (avearage 15 minutes).

There is nothing better than being equipped to make an informed decision no mater your final choice. I lived in Montgomery upon our arrival and considered many of the aformentioned neighborhoods. In fact, I was hesitant to move to a place called (We tum kah). I am now ever so grateful we did. Living here we have made lifelong friendships. Blessing in your endeavors to find the right home for your family.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM

358 posts, read 710,623 times
The Waters is a nice looking place but it's just not practical. It's a neighborhood cut out of the woods that is not connected to anything else. The fake little 'downtown' strip doesn't make it a town, sorry. And for the price they ask...no I don't think so. It's a little 'Truman show' community and you have to be a hard core white-flighter to enjoy something like this. I lived in Halcyon for 4 years. Absolutely loved it. Wonderful place. There are great neighborhoods all over Montgomery. Don't spend your life pursuing the perfect school. There is no such thing, when you're talking public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama