Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times

Advertisements

Frankie117 - if I understand your chart and explanation, you're saying that Communism is opposite from Totalitarian? If so, then I'm really turmoiled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Frankie117 - if I understand your chart and explanation, you're saying that Communism is opposite from Totalitarian? If so, then I'm really turmoiled
Communism does not have to be Totalitarian. Plus, you are sort of misunderstanding the axis. As you move down it is more government control (the entire bottom is technically Totalitarian) which is why Communism would stretch from the bottom up the right side there. If you wanted to be really really specific, Communism should form an L shape from Totalitarian to the corner and up.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
In regards to the sex toy ban.

al.com: Everything Alabama

Well, Texas just overturned theirs on the grounds that it was unconstitutional.

"The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Texas law making it illegal to sell or promote obscene devices, punishable by up to two years in jail, violated the Constitution's 14th Amendment on the right to privacy. "

Alabama now stands as the state with the strictest laws regarding these types of items. I don't think this is going to be over anytime soon. The funny thing is, I have never purchased anything from those kinds of stores, I just don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do with regards to these types of personal issues.
RNC, do you know what they doing, if anything, about home parties. There are many home sex toy parties going on all around Morgan county.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
RNC, do you know what they doing, if anything, about home parties. There are many home sex toy parties going on all around Morgan county.
Hey! I haven't been invited to any! ()

Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,451 times
I've been to one. It's like a Pampered Chef party except with other kinds of "cookware." Just as dull, and like any other one of these parties your friends give, you're obliged to buy *something.*

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I have no idea. I would assume it would be pretty hard to regulate those and I doubt any police officers or county prosecuters would waste their time busting "fun parties".

Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Hey! I haven't been invited to any! ()
They must be kept hush hush in certain areas!! I'm sure you can find one!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
I've been to one. It's like a Pampered Chef party except with other kinds of "cookware." Just as dull, and like any other one of these parties your friends give, you're obliged to buy *something.*
The parties might be dull, but wait til you get home

Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM

116 posts, read 524,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Communism does not have to be Totalitarian.
Theory and practice are two different things. We can theorize all day long but how well does it put into practice? Name one Communist country that is not or was not totalitarian, a "dictatorship of the proletariat".

That was my point about fascism and communism. The means may differ but the end is always the same.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 55,606 times
Default To original poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
(Alabama liberals?) Is there such a thing? Thinking about Huntsville...saw there was a unitarian church there. Is that an active community, or are they completely fringe for the area?
Depends what you mean by liberal. I visited Birmingham's UU church, and although I consider myself very liberal, their political correctness made me writhe in my seat. Here are my answers for various definitions of "liberal".

A tolerant person who is skeptical of tradition, and whose morality is based on the harm principle rather than adhering strictly to social norms.

This is what I'm thinking of when I call myself liberal. There are lots of these around, but many of them consider themselves conservatives because "liberal" has been Newspeaked to mean only bad things. It would be pretty easy to find a niche of easygoing people like these, but it would be hard to, say, call a referendum to defeat Alabama's sex toy ban. I have a dream that one day this easygoing demographic will think of themselves as liberal again.

Fun Fact: Counterintuitively, nearly everyone who plays in a bluegrass band is this kind of liberal.

A person who advocates New Deal-style politics geared toward equality of opportunity.

These are a bit rarer. Alabama has a lot of economic opportunity (at least around the cities) and people are skeptical of anyone who remains completely impoverished in the midst of it. Most people view government as a parasite, not an equalizer or an enabler, and even if you could convince them that large numbers of people are dirt poor through no fault of their own, you'd have a harder time convincing them that government has an answer.

An "issues" crusader from the left side of the aisle, who campaigns for vegetarianism, environmentalism, etc.

If you encounter one of these, make a note in your journal. People often campaign to clean the Cahaba River or preserve forests and parks, but rarely think of it in terms of "mother Earth". And I sincerely feel for anyone who tries to be vegetarian in the South. I understand the arguments. But man, the barbecue is soo good.

A leftist, who advocates government controls that bring citizens closer to a perfect Utopian society.

There used to be one, but he moved.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,760 times
Default liberals in bama

There are VERY FEW liberals in bama. Huntsville is EXTREMELY conservative, as it mainly consists of military and defense contractors. Birmingham is more liberal because it has a higher proportion of minorities. Lauderdale county (NW bama) is somewhat liberal. But basically, bama is full of hypocritical, racist, backwoods redneck christians who vote however Rush tells them to vote. I am someone raised in bama for over 25 years, so I speak from experience. They claim to be "christians," but only care about life before birth and support wars that kill thousands of innocents. Stay away because, if you're a liberal, you will HATE bama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama