Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 02:59 PM

508 posts, read 615,653 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles. It's much different than when I lived in New York. Most people in New England have horrible impressions on the South, especially Alabama. However, actors and actresses here have told me that they really enjoy Mobile and absolutely love Orange Beach. In fact, someone said "I don't know why more people do not know about that place, it's beautiful." With that being said, what do you all think is the future of the South Alabama beaches and/of Mobile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Baldwin County, which encompasses the eastern side of Mobile Bay is one of, if not the fastest growing county in the state. The Mobile suburbs of Daphne and Spanish Fort have experienced a lot of growth mainly I think due to the good reputation of their public schools. Fairhope has also grown mainly as a retirement destination. The beachfront communities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach have also seen significant development.

Mobile County however has remained relatively stagnant. Although the northern suburbs of Saraland and Satsuma have seen growth.

I don't really know why so many people have chosen to live in Baldwin County as opposed to Mobile proper. I guess like I said it has to do with the schools and people's preference for a suburban rather than urban environment.

But I agree, Mobile is a beautiful city and I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more gentrification of its older neighborhoods.

I think it's all about marketing (or the lack thereof) and perception. People from other states just don't know what Alabama is really like. They just think Forrest Gump, football, and racism.

Most Alabamians want to see growth, but not at the cost of turning Alabama into Florida or Atlanta, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Alabama has its own unique character, and most folks here like it and want it to stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama